The Steven Gerrard Thread

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Player threads galore but we should have a thread for the charismatic man that is Stevie G, a man who has been in love with one club all his days (I can relate) but seems to have The Famous in his hea

I love our Gaffer. I would make sure I cooked him a top class breakfast and a roast dinner after riding him silly!

Love the guy and he has turned us around completely. Will be immortalised forever in our history books when he lifts the title this season and stops their ten. Here comes the negative part:

Posted Images

Serious? Apart from the Liverpool job when it comes up, what team offers an incentive to leave?

I doubt he's interested in money, does a mid table team offer the chance of league glory ever year? Cup final trophy winning? European adventures? Legend status?

Why would he want to leave for mediocre?

Bearsden bear and TopCat like this
Just now, cpm1979 said:

Serious? Apart from the Liverpool job when it comes up, what team offers an incentive to leave?

I doubt he's interested in money, does a mid table team offer the chance of league glory ever year? Cup final trophy winning? European adventures? Legend status?

Why would he want to leave for mediocre?

It'll be Liverpool. He's never really hid his desire. He had to prove here that he can be a successful manager and by May he will have done.

Hopefully Klopp stays a while yet but when Gerrard does leave to replace him he'll go with my eternal thanks for getting us 55 and stopping their 10.

He'll leave a legend.

1 minute ago, .Williamson. said:

You think after the Tynecastle game and the following game against Hamilton at home that if he had lost our very next game which was against Celtic that he would still be here?

No chance. The atmosphere amongst the fans had went poisonous 

Hamilton was the worst I’ve seen it, 10x worse than any pumping from Celtic in recent years

.Williamson. likes this
3 minutes ago, .Williamson. said:

You think after the Tynecastle game and the following game against Hamilton at home that if he had lost our very next game which was against celtic that he would still be here?

Totally agree he got a big second chance due to circumstances, I couldn’t see us pulling it back to be honest 

.Williamson. likes this
Just now, BlueEdu said:

Totally agree he got a big second chance due to circumstances, I couldn’t see us pulling it back to be honest 

It’s quite unbelievable the turnaround since the end of last season. Never in a million years did I see this season panning out the way it has so far

Rangers_no1 and BlueEdu like this
Just now, .Williamson. said:

It’s quite unbelievable the turnaround since the end of last season. Never in a million years did I see this season panning out the way it has so far

I think that’s Gerrards best feature, he’s had loads of downs in his career but I think his attitude is spot on and definitely doesn’t give up. No surrender Stevie G

.Williamson. likes this
21 minutes ago, keithgersbear said:

That he would be gone. No evidence of that. The board backed him in the market to improve our squad. They absolutely weren't going to sack him. 

The board is the sticking point. I had a theory, totally hypothetical now, that he'd have been Rangers manager if we didn't win the league this year. His record in Europe and the chance to qualify for the CL would have been too much of a carrot for the board. 

beararse likes this
20 minutes ago, Bronzy said:

I mind when Gerrard was first linked to us @The Godfather called him a “wee slippy cunt” :lol:

Probably one of the hardest times I’ve ever laughed at a post on here

EDIT: Found it

I tipped Lampard to be the better of the two in management....

anigif_enhanced-946-1433453114-7.thumb.gif.c9f974621868475ceefd4fceae0ac8be.gif

Bronzy likes this

Next season is already his biggest managerial challenge. The tramps will spend heavily again and can't possibly be as bad as they have been this year. Once 55 is in the bag, I fully expect he will be planning for next season. Defoe is a fair offload as he will carry a chunk in his pay packet and probably due to Father Time, isn't returning like he was a year ago. Hopefully along with Barker, Jones, Edmunson freed up, we can bring a couple in to strengthen. Roofe's injury record could be a major concern moving forward.

14 minutes ago, Flatcap said:

Next season is already his biggest managerial challenge. The tramps will spend heavily again and can't possibly be as bad as they have been this year. Once 55 is in the bag, I fully expect he will be planning for next season. Defoe is a fair offload as he will carry a chunk in his pay packet and probably due to Father Time, isn't returning like he was a year ago. Hopefully along with Barker, Jones, Edmunson freed up, we can bring a couple in to strengthen. Roofe's injury record could be a major concern moving forward.

They don't have the money to spend heavily. They will have to pray the get through the CL qualifiers which won't happen. 

Both of us will have to sell players to balance the books and we have more valuable assets. 

We continue the way we are with recruitment and we have nothing to worry abnout. 

14 hours ago, .Williamson. said:

You think after the Tynecastle game and the following game against Hamilton at home that if he had lost our very next game which was against Celtic that he would still be here?

I never heard any rumours of them thinking of sacking him and we had improved. Why give someone that cash if you were thinking of sacking him?  But all's well that ends well that's the main thing. 

Covid did save his job imo, that Hearts game he looked a defeated man, Morelos was acting like a wee cock and I think the players were maybe starting to doubt the system we played back then. He would’ve walked, not been sacked. 

The Hamilton game though was absolutely mental, I mean the full BF stand absolutely hounding Goldson as he played a 5 yard pass out the park. Tav going off “injured” and straight down the tunnel. I’d never seen anything like it in a long time and for me the Gerrard experiment was as good as over 

The time between March and August we’ve utilised to absolute perfection tbh. The different systems we can play, the athleticism of some of our players is honestly beyond belief, Goldson in particular is just unbelievable. 

Tbh I think the outcome of the whole call the season carry on has really pushed everyone involved in Rangers to win this and win it on the park and blow everycunt to pieces. We probably wouldn’t have won it but as fans we were disgusted with what happened, so I wonder how the players felt putting in the work for 80% of the season for essentially fuck all. That might’ve spurred them on a bit. 

If Klopp goes this season I can’t see Liverpool going for Gerrard just yet. It’s a different Liverpool side at the moment, who should be challenging for the title and CL, not one of the also rans of previous years before Klopp where they could afford to give another 3 year project because what’s 3 years after waiting 30. They’re now back to being a winning club again. They also have an ageing forward line so if I was Gerrard I’d be hanging off a bit, letting someone else come in and build them up a bit more before taking it. 

But aye Steven Gerrard eh, who’d have thought it. Absolutely love it

On 17/01/2021 at 10:20, .Williamson. said:

Love the guy and he has turned us around completely. Will be immortalised forever in our history books when he lifts the title this season and stops their ten.

Here comes the negative part:

If it weren’t for Covid he wouldn’t be here anymore. Made a rip roaring cunt of last season and his record in cup games and games against the likes of Aberdeen, Kilmarnock and Hearts was quite frankly embarrassing. Thankfully he seems to have sorted the games against smaller teams in the league now though and I’m sure cup games will rectify themselves eventually.

All in all my feeling is, cheers Stevie, you’re a good guy.

Not sure I agree. My feeling is that he and the board saw it as a 3 year project when he came in. Both sides would have been concerned about the collapse last year and no cups but still believe he would have been given this season, which was massive to both him and Rangers. If we had failed this year and Gerrard had gone we would have been back to rebuilding a new team with yet another manager and it could have been another 2 or 3 years before winning the league. That is why the board would have been crazy to expect him to turn it round in 2 years. 

For me it was always going to be a 3 year project to get us to win the league again.

No way the board would have sacked him given the level of improvement in his first two years but as someone says earlier , it's all worked out to perfection in the end and that's all that matters.