Gerrard will never give up on alfie

RFC55

SOME managers would swear about him.

But Steven Gerrard swears by Alfredo Morelos — and the Rangers boss insists that will ALWAYS be the case.

⚠️ 

Controversy and challenges never seem to be very far away from the fiery Colombian frontman.

He’s hit three goals in his last three games and will be in the side for their lunchtime kick-off at Motherwell — the ground where the 24-year-old was sent off for gesturing to the home fans after scoring 13 months ago.

Gerrard said: “Alfredo is a guy and a player that I will never give up on because of what he’s given me in terms of goals and the help and support he’s given the team since I’ve been in the door.

“I will never give up on my players, that is for sure.

“He’s in a better place now because he’s on the back of scoring two goals in a man-of-the-match performance.

“He is a challenge, of course.

“There’s the language thing and I have to treat him differently in terms of that.

“His communication has got better but we do lean on our player liaison executive Katy Lamont, who speaks fluent Spanish.

“If we sit down for an extended conversation with him, if something is really important, we use Katy.

Rangers boss Gerrard insists he’ll never give up on Morelos despite 

He’s hit three goals in his last three games and will be in the side for their lunchtime kick-off at Motherwell — the ground where the 24-year-old was sent off for gesturing to the home fans after scoring 13 months ago.

Gerrard said: “Alfredo is a guy and a player that I will never give up on because of what he’s given me in terms of goals and the help and support he’s given the team since I’ve been in the door.

“I will never give up on my players, that is for sure.

“But in terms of his treatment on a daily basis, or the standards we set on and off the pitch, he’s the same as everyone else.

“The players get fantastic support and the idea is that we take all the excuses away.

“He hasn’t always got things right. You can’t expect him to be perfect, he’s a human being.

“But you have to take his age into consideration. He needs a manager and a coaching staff who are going to support him at the right time.

“We want the best for Alfredo in his career. We want to give him that support and that love, like we do for all the other players.

It was really fantastic for me to see him back in the place that we know he can be in, which is scoring goals — and high-quality goals — at important times.

“And we are going to need him between now and the end of the season.

"What happens beyond that we’ll just have to wait and see, but we will always be respectful of him and what he wants.

“The important thing is that he always remembers the support he’s had from supporters since day one.

“His job is to try and make them as happy as he can between now and the end of the season. That should be all he’s focused on.

“He’s got a new addition to his family and you can see signs of maturity since then.

"His life is in a really good place, so he should just continue to enjoy his football and be the best version of himself.”

Gers head to Fir Park knowing a win would equal a post-war record dating back to season 1972/73 under Jock Wallace.

Victory over Graham Alexander’s side would see Gerrard’s men match the 16-game winning run of Wallace’s team as Gers home in on title No 55.

But Gerrard said: “The players have set a really good standard this season and the challenge is to maintain that as long as possible.

If that means we break or equal records along the way, then fantastic. But the plan isn’t to break records of any other manager.

“The idea is to maintain this form through to the end of the season and to be a success. Those are the only goals we’re focused on.”

Another Rangers legend, Ally McCoist, claimed last week that Gerrard and his players wouldn’t understand the importance of a title win until it happened.

But Gerrard said: “I don’t want to get involved in any ‘what ifs’. There’s too much football to be played, too many points to fight for.

“I understand there will be a lot of talk from ex-players and pundits, a lot of scrutiny about the scenarios near the end of the season.

"That’s not for me to get involved in right now.

“But I’m well aware of the job and of where this club has been and what the people have been through.

“The challenge for me from day one was to make the supporters proud.

“We have gone a long way to providing an element of that, but I know what they really want.

And that’s the reason why we need to continue to fight, to bring the good days back here at Rangers.

“That’s also the reason why we can’t get ahead of ourselves or focus on what’s being said on the outside.

“It’s just about the next challenge and my view won’t change on that.

“I don’t care if people think I’m boring or stubborn, nothing will let my focus slide from the next challenge in front of us.”

Excellent article from Gerrard.

I absolutely love the fucking crazy wee bastard, and even at the age I am, I love the wee guy. I'd love to see him get the league clinching goal.

Gerrard wants and needs him scoring again as that is what will increase his value. Which in turn increases his budget when Alfie goes, likely come the summer.

I actually liked more his comments in the latter part of the article. A very mature outlook about ignoring the noise from others and just concentrating on getting the points. Brilliant attitude thats served us well whilst others across the city waxed lyrical about their 10 this season 😆

Good article, said it before but if we only get half a season out of him each time, I'd rather it was this half of the season. 

Liking Gerrards whole tone this season, not letting anyone get ahead of themselves and keeping feet on the ground. 

Nice read for first thing on a Sunday...

25 minutes ago, beararse said:

A bizarre yet Intriguing choice of phrase :)

25 minutes ago, Rfc52 said:

I'm 5 ya perv 

‘Intriguing’ in the sense ‘why mention it?’

I’d have thought every single person on this forum has/does love a player regardless of the fact they are aged 16, 96 or, in your case, 5.

Good read, reassuringly modest & grounded at the end re the noise.  

He’s obviously got an unbelievable range of football contacts at the very top to turn to for advice etc , I often wonder who he relies on most.  

Also good to know we have a Player Liaison Executive, sounds like a slight step up from Stevie in IT !

11 minutes ago, beararse said:

‘Intriguing’ in the sense ‘why mention it?’

I’d have thought every single person on this forum has/does love a player regardless of the fact they are aged 16, 96 or, in your case, 5.

No 

1 minute ago, simplythebest said:

With the shite he’s taken lifting the league trophy should be especially sweet for Alfie 

In the Carlsberg season it has been, is it greedy to also want Alfie to score the title clincher when we win the league at their dump in March? 😁

Just now, SeparateEntityMyArse said:

In the Carlsberg season it has been, is it greedy to also want Alfie to score the title clincher when we win the league at their dump in March? 😁

Don’t be daft mate...

It’s getting clinched before then 

45 minutes ago, Amokachi said:

Good read, reassuringly modest & grounded at the end re the noise.  

He’s obviously got an unbelievable range of football contacts at the very top to turn to for advice etc , I often wonder who he relies on most.  

Also good to know we have a Player Liaison Executive, sounds like a slight step up from Stevie in IT !

Had a player liaison for years. It used to be John Greig and then Sandy Jardine.

Edit. Can’t remember who it was but one of the foreign boys under Advocaat didn’t realise John Greig was an ex player until he’d been at the club a while, thought he was just some man sent to collect him from the airport 😂 Think it may have been Arthur Numan.

Archived