*****Official Rangers v Ross County Match Thread*****

BridgeIsBlue

2 hours ago, bluenoz said:

I agree with you that Patterson was excellent. Reminds me a lot of Hutton.

Not sure about needing to bulk up. He looks pretty sturdy to me.

What a future he has.

Looks pretty skinny to me mate, feel like once he's asked to actually do some defending he'd get bullied. Attacking he looks decent though 

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, bluenoz said:

Anybody else think Tav should be permanently taken off penalties? How many is that he has missed. 6 in two seasons? For such a great striker of the ball, I've never felt confident when he takes one.

83% career conversion rate.

Harry Kane is 85%

Jamie Vardy is 84%

Ronaldo is 86%

Messi 79%

Even the best miss penalties. His penalty record is excellent.

1 minute ago, Roy Hobbs said:

83% career conversion rate.

Harry Kane is 85%

Jamie Vardy is 84%

Ronaldo is 86%

Messi 79%

Even the best miss penalties. His penalty record is excellent.

Maybe I'm just old fashioned and think defenders shouldn't take penalties. I also think if you miss two, you hand it over.

As an amateur player, I took penalties. Once I missed one, I never wanted another. At least Tav shows the bravery.

Thanks for the google stat.

1 hour ago, bluenoz said:

Anybody else think Tav should be permanently taken off penalties? How many is that he has missed. 6 in two seasons? For such a great striker of the ball, I've never felt confident when he takes one.

14 minutes ago, bluenoz said:

Maybe I'm just old fashioned and think defenders shouldn't take penalties. I also think if you miss two, you hand it over.

As an amateur player, I took penalties. Once I missed one, I never wanted another. At least Tav shows the bravery.

Thanks for the google stat.

Only pass it over if you think there is someone better. Would doubt we would get someone better than 83% in our current squad. 

At amateur level I had a team mate I hadn't seen miss a penalty in the 3 seasons I played with him then in one cup game he missed a penalty with 2 minutes left with the score at 1-1 . Game went straight to penalties and he was first up and missed again. 2 misses within 5 minutes and we lost the shootout. 

He was still brave enough to step up the next time we got a penalty and went back on a scoring run. Admittedly he was our main striker but your position shouldn't matter provided your conversion rate is good. Many years ago the Dundee Utd keeper Hamish McAlpine used to take their penalties and rarely missed. 

1 hour ago, don logan said:

When they called the League last year we were on 67 points from 29 games. 69 points today from 25.

The more you think about it them getting that title with 9 games still to go was criminal.

Had we won our game in hand they were 10 points ahead with 24 points still to play for including us v them twice.

9 minutes ago, Brubear said:

Only pass it over if you think there is someone better. Would doubt we would get someone better than 83% in our current squad. 

At amateur level I had a team mate I hadn't seen miss a penalty in the 3 seasons I played with him then in one cup game he missed a penalty with 2 minutes left with the score at 1-1 . Game went straight to penalties and he was first up and missed again. 2 misses within 5 minutes and we lost the shootout. 

He was still brave enough to step up the next time we got a penalty and went back on a scoring run. Admittedly he was our main striker but your position shouldn't matter provided your conversion rate is good. Many years ago the Dundee Utd keeper Hamish McAlpine used to take their penalties and rarely missed. 

Roberto Carlos took them as well.

Like I say, I'm a bit old-fashioned that way. 

I would prefer someone like Hagi but then again, he is not guaranteed to always be on the park.

1 minute ago, bluenoz said:

Roberto Carlos took them as well.

Like I say, I'm a bit old-fashioned that way. 

I would prefer someone like Hagi but the again, he is not guaranteed to always be on the park.

You make a good point about your regular penalty taker being a regular start. With the squad nature of football hese days we do not have that many players who are guaranteed a start. Ironically defences are normally kept more stable than midfield and front lines so this would point to a defender being a good choice. 

2 hours ago, bluenoz said:

Never heard such garbage 

Just now, bluenoz said:

Thanks for the input.

He’s proven to be one of the best penalty takers around not just in this country and the last time we took him off them we gave it to Morelos and that went horribly 

He was too safe today trying to hit the target after missing the target last week when he usually goes for the corner. Every faith he’ll score the next one and the one after that 

1 minute ago, GA1972 said:

He’s proven to be one of the best penalty takers around not just in this country and the last time we took him off them we gave it to Morelos and that went horribly 

He was too safe today trying to hit the target after missing the target last week when he usually goes for the corner. Every faith he’ll score the next one and the one after that 

The chances of scoring penalties is pretty good no matter who you are so he probably does score the next one but you say he played it safe and I say he lacked confidence in taking it today. It has to be questioned when you miss two in a row and I'm sure it will be discussed in the dressing room.

and btw, as much as I love Morelos, I wouldn't give him penalties.

2 minutes ago, bluenoz said:

The chances of scoring penalties is pretty good no matter who you are so he probably does score the next one but you say he played it safe and I say he lacked confidence in taking it today. It has to be questioned when you miss two in a row and I'm sure it will be discussed in the dressing room.

and btw, as much as I love Morelos, I wouldn't give him penalties.

To be fair to him if the keeper goes the wrong way today then it’s not even a talking point but now that he’s been punished for playing it safe I doubt he will next time 

He’s good enough to wrap them into the corner every time so I’d rather he tried that every time even if one or two hit the post or go wide 

Agreed on Morelos when he took that penalty in the final at the time I thought I’d rather have just about anyone else on it. Think as a penalty taker you want a calmer head who has a bit of finesse 

37 minutes ago, miracle said:

Good performance today but I really don't see what Zungu brings to the table.

He gives Davis and Kamara  valuable rest time before the Hibs game .

Zungu and Jack looked very solid .

Zungu's height provides an additional ariel defensive presence that our other midfielders don't have.

In the ten or so games that Zungu has came on to see the game out we have yet to concede a goal let alone lose.

He has only had limited game time because Davis has been playing well but should he falter like last season Zungu is there.

1 minute ago, Drumloyal said:

Off topic but wtf are BBC Scotland playing at? NFL show on after MOTD rather than sportscene?

Almost as if they've lost interest in the league now for some unknown reason.

:pipe:

Sport scene was on at 7.30pm earlier mate!

Archived