them

MisterC

1 hour ago, Laudrup1984 said:

I honestly can't remember the last time I saw a keeper hold a penalty. Giakoumakis is a great prospect this season. Could be another Shane Duffy. That atrocious attempt at an overhead kick and the shitey miss at the end were nuggets.

3 minutes ago, KingKirk said:

That's no what happened tho mate completely different. 

You said: 'how can the ref then give a penalty for something that happened off the ball?'

What I described was off the ball, so would it be a penalty or not?

7 minutes ago, KingKirk said:

@rbt1548that's all good info mate but how can the ref then give a penalty for something that happened off the ball? That's bonkers! 

OK, say the ball is being passed between two players on one side of the park the ball is deemed in play, at the same time on the other side of the park someone blocks an opposing player making a movement off the ball to try and get involved in the move. In that case because the ball is in play a foul is awarded where the offence took place. The one we are talking about happened in the penalty area so he had to give a penalty.

Whereas, if the same block happened when waiting on a free kick to be taken, the ref may choose to take action against the offending player, but he cannot move the location of the original free kick as the game had not restarted and the ball wouldn't be in play.

That's about the best way I  can try and explain it, other's  might be able to explain it better.

26 minutes ago, KingKirk said:

@rbt1548that's all good info mate but how can the ref then give a penalty for something that happened off the ball? That's bonkers! 

It is a deemed a foul/penalty even if off the ball.

If it weren't Alfredo would be headbutting the Lego muncher every time the whistle was blown. 

I'd cheer it of course. 

1 hour ago, trueblue 64 said:

The ball wasn't in play at the time of the slap, it was in the goalies hands  so shouldn't be a penalty.

The ball was still in play. It hadn’t gone out.
I suppose the best way to look at it is when the Ross county goalie saved a shot from Morelos and he put the ball down to kick it out but as it hadn’t gone over the line it was still in play and Alfie cheekily came round and booted it into the net 😂

27 minutes ago, mclovin9091 said:

Livi should have had a penalty, keeper comes out and missed the ball then took the player out. Anywhere else on the pitch thats a foul and a booking.

If an outfield player had challenged like that the penalty would be given (except v celtic at the piggery)

Keepers get away with murder sometimes whilst also being untouchable. 

3 hours ago, BigDak said:

Aye, I was just about to ask this. If you punched someone at a corner the ref would surely send you off before letting the corner be taken rather than giving a free kick? No?

Edit: Just seen some people highlighting that the ball was in play so it’s a pen. It just seemed odd. But if a player got hit on the other side of the pitch from play I appreciate there’s be a free-kick.

The keeper was holding the ball as far as I could see and everyone was walking away.

7 hours ago, Negri's lovechild said:

I didn't think either were penalties tbh. The Hart one is, as you say, a collision and he didn't go out to harm the boy. 

The Kyogo one was embarrassing and you see lots of niggles and off the ball incidents frequently but rarely are they given as penalties.  Only thing I will say though, is he gives the ref a decision to make.

When I played fitba 50 odd year ago I was  a goalkeeper, and as such we were instructed to control our six-yard-box.

Your statement is bullshit. If the centrehalf had struck him with an elbow to the head and a knee to the back he would have been sent off. As a goalkeeper you are definitely taught to raise your knee to defend yourself. The smack on the back of the head is a bonus but if done properly it is all part of the goalkeeper defending himself.

I remember at one point in my youth I was being scouted by Kilwinning Rangers, and  I rushed out to the edge of the 18 yard box to to punch clear a breakaway and inadvertantly punched our centre hal 

3 minutes ago, 72barca said:

When I played fitba 50 odd year ago I was  a goalkeeper, and as such we were instructed to control our six-yard-box.

Your statement is bullshit. If the centrehalf had struck him with an elbow to the head and a knee to the back he would have been sent off. As a goalkeeper you are definitely taught to raise your knee to defend yourself. The smack on the back of the head is a bonus but if done properly it is all part of the goalkeeper defending himself.

I remember at one point in my youth I was being scouted by Kilwinning Rangers, and  I rushed out to the edge of the 18 yard box to to punch clear a breakaway and inadvertantly punched our centre hal 

Don't know what happened there, but I was told Kilwinning said ' F**k this, the guy is an animal'

The little things in life, eh?