Helander

RockwellGers

Said it a few times. We seem to have more confidence defensively when he's in the team. I can't put my finger on why....probably just his experience. Balogun is brilliant, does very well every time he's played, and makes some great tackles. However, Helander seems to organise those around him better. It's fuckin great to know that if he's injured we have a great replacement. 

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The situation in defence highlights the reason we’ve been so much better this season. It’s all about the quality of our squad. Players manage a few games then there are injuries but we’ve been seamless. Helander is a quality player and a big squad player. Think back to day 1 and Katic being injured. Last season we’d be looking at Edmundson. Now we are in such a stronger position that when he was suspended most of us didn’t even care. We are where we are being we’ve made strong signings and improved our squad massively. Helander is part of that. 

1 minute ago, DrLaudrup said:

The situation in defence highlights the reason we’ve been so much better this season. It’s all about the quality of our squad. Players manage a few games then there are injuries but we’ve been seamless. Helander is a quality player and a big squad player. Think back to day 1 and Katic being injured. Last season we’d be looking at Edmundson. Now we are in such a stronger position that when he was suspended most of us didn’t even care. We are where we are being we’ve made strong signings and improved our squad massively. Helander is part of that. 

We've improved hugely with 3 of our CHs all being great quality. Edmundson the jury is out, doubt we'll see him again tbh.

And to think folk wanted David Bates back 😳

14 minutes ago, SeparateEntityMyArse said:

"Coarse"

Fucking hell get your grammar right if you want to come the cunt mate 🤣🤣🤣

oops, fuck should have started with a capital letter, sorry about the grammar but what part of your name best describes you  

10 minutes ago, Lord Lockin said:

oops, fuck should have started with a capital letter, sorry about the grammar but what part of your name best describes you  

Its got fuck all to do with capital letters 🤣🤣🤣🤣. You're the fucking Shane Duffy of posters tonight mate.

Cunt calling himself a Lord trying to dig someone else for any part of their user name 😄😄😄😄

2 minutes ago, SeparateEntityMyArse said:

Its got fuck all to do with capital letters 🤣🤣🤣🤣. You're the fucking Shane Duffy of posters tonight mate.

Cunt calling himself a Lord trying to dig someone else for any part of their user name 😄😄😄😄

would rather be called Lord than ARSE now good night - talk to you on Wednesday 

8 minutes ago, psb07158 said:

Spot on.

Helander's a baller

Today he made a stupid mistake early doors. 2nd half he gave away a needless foul. At that freekick he deliberately stayed wrong side of his man, then couldn't get round to challenge the boy who dead center around 15 yards out hit the bar with his header.

Rid himself of basic errors, find another yard of pace, then we have a baller. 

For someone without any pace, I’m struggling to think of a time when it’s been so blatantly obvious. In terms of us losing a goal due to it or indeed even loads of opportunities. 

I reckon he’s a top player and I prefer the balance of the defence when he is in it. 

2 minutes ago, GabrielTomato said:

Reads the game so easily. 

I also think his recovery his underrated. 

We've managed him back well, I don't think we'll see him drop out of the side now. 

A lot has been made out on here about his lack of pace, but his positional sense more than makes up for it and he hasn't really been caught out by pace when he has played. He's an excellent defender and, as much as I like Balogun, Helander is better in just about every single area we expect from a Rangers centre-back. 

It frustrates me when Gerrard rotates him out, we always seem to look much better due to the natural balance of having 2 left-footed and 2 right-footed players at the back. 

I hope Balogun signs on for another year though!

1 minute ago, SeparateEntityMyArse said:

Today he made a stupid mistake early doors. 2nd half he gave away a needless foul. At that freekick he deliberately stayed wrong side of his man, then couldn't get round to challenge the boy who dead center around 15 yards out hit the bar with his header.

Rid himself of basic errors, find another yard of pace, then we have a baller. 

I mean, that's football and the guy our board seem to think is our best centre-half, Connor Goldson, makes plenty of mistakes too. There's a reason these guys are playing for Rangers and not at a higher level.

Their mistakes are only magnified when they lead to us losing / dropping points. Like Balogun's horror-show against St Mirren and then last week his poor positional play gifting Motherwell a goal. 

Overall, Helander can pass better, read the game better and is more of a threat in the opposition's box. He takes it pretty comfortably for me, IMO.

13 minutes ago, GabrielTomato said:

Helander vs Balogun? 

Helander is the better defender.

Baolgun has the pace to make certain sides rethink their tactics. 

For me, I'm Helander. 

If Balogun is the backup then we are truly blessed. I mean we're blessed to have both anyway 

We're definitely blessed by our 3 CBs we have.

Not only their ability but their form too. 

Balance and composure counts for a lot and Helander ticks every box for me. 

But as others have said, signing Balogun on a free is fantastic business, I've heard he's a big personality in the dressing room.  

2 minutes ago, psb07158 said:

I mean, that's football and the guy our board seem to think is our best centre-half, Connor Goldson, makes plenty of mistakes too. There's a reason these guys are playing for Rangers and not at a higher level.

Their mistakes are only magnified when they lead to us losing / dropping points. Like Balogun's horror-show against St Mirren and then last week his poor positional play gifting Motherwell a goal. 

Overall, Helander can pass better, read the game better and is more of a threat in the opposition's box. He takes it pretty comfortably for me, IMO.

I dont think there's too much between them tbh 

Helander has strengths, Balogun has other strengths. To suggest one is clearly better than the other is wrong imo.

Helander played miles worse in a European game than any other CH this season. But yeah Balogun has also looked ropey at times.

Goldson has been a stalwart this season. Mistakes at an absolute minimum, nowhere near plenty, and far outweighed by what he gives us both offensively and defensively. He'd be poty ffs if it wasn't for tav.

5 minutes ago, psb07158 said:

Makes it even sweeter when you think we got him on a free.

Our scouting team has been fantastic over the last few years. 

I’m pretty sure Gerrard mentioned it was to do with Paul Cook the Wigan gaffer, who he’s mates with recommended him. Not sure there was much scouting to do with it tbh although it’s vastly improved from what we had.

Archived