Helander

RockwellGers

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, SeparateEntityMyArse said:

I dont think there's too much between them tbh 

Helander has strengths, Balogun has other strengths. To suggest one is clearly better than the other is wrong imo.

Helander played miles worse in a European game than any other CH this season. But yeah Balogun has also looked ropey at times.

Goldson has been a stalwart this season. Mistakes at an absolute minimum, nowhere near plenty, and far outweighed by what he gives us both offensively and defensively. He'd be poty ffs if it wasn't for tav.

Gerrard has to make that decision though, and it's logical for fans to do the same

4 minutes ago, SeparateEntityMyArse said:

I dont think there's too much between them tbh 

Helander has strengths, Balogun has other strengths. To suggest one is clearly better than the other is wrong imo.

Helander played miles worse in a European game than any other CH this season. But yeah Balogun has also looked ropey at times.

Goldson has been a stalwart this season. Mistakes at an absolute minimum, nowhere near plenty, and far outweighed by what he gives us both offensively and defensively. He'd be poty ffs if it wasn't for tav.

If you compare Helander and Balogun to CH of old i.e Boogie, Weir, Cuellar they are no where near the level.

Expect us to go sign a top CH in summer to play beside Goldson assuming he will sign a new deal.

4 minutes ago, GabrielTomato said:

We're definitely blessed by our 3 CBs we have.

Not only their ability but their form too. 

Balance and composure counts for a lot and Helander ticks every box for me. 

But as others have said, signing Balogun on a free is fantastic business, I've heard he's a big personality in the dressing room.  

The way he spoke after the Ibrox disaster anniversary game was excellent from the big man. Shows he really gets what it means to represent our club. 

3 minutes ago, simplythebest said:

Theres more to come when Katic is back as well, having such good competition from two cb positions can only be a good thing 

Katic too yup. Unbelievable. What a defence when you add in Tav/Patterson and Barisic/Bassey. I know he fucked up but Edmunson is solid too imo 

3 minutes ago, RockwellGers said:

I can believe it from his interviews. 

By big I mean someone who keeps the players grounded. Doesn't let anyone get ahead of themselves. 

You don't need to believe me but I could guarantee (going by what I heard) his personality was a big reason for him signing. 

2 minutes ago, Smell the hotdog said:

If you compare Helander and Balogun to CH of old i.e Boogie, Weir, Cuellar they are no where near the level.

Expect us to go sign a top CH in summer to play beside Goldson assuming he will sign a new deal.

Let's wait until the end of this year's Europa run before saying they don't compare to those great players.

You never know just how far we can go...

Just now, SeparateEntityMyArse said:

Balogun has more appearances though Helander has had an injury. How do you see it as "clearly ahead"?

I'm not being so definite in my statements mate, I'm no expert. I just thought Helander had started more than Balogun, going by memory (I'm drinking) Balogun hasn't been first in line as much

2 minutes ago, RockwellGers said:

I'm not being so definite in my statements mate, I'm no expert. I just thought Helander had started more than Balogun, going by memory (I'm drinking) Balogun hasn't been first in line as much

18 v 16 appearances in favour of Balogum according to soccerbase. Not necessarily starts right enough.

12 minutes ago, SeparateEntityMyArse said:

Gerrard has alternated between the two which suggests neither is clearly better than the other.

Horses for courses is how I see it. Gerrard swaps them in and out to play beside Goldson depending on who we play simple as that. be interesting who starts Wednesday.

2 minutes ago, SeparateEntityMyArse said:

18 v 16 appearances in favour of Balogum according to soccerbase. Not necessarily starts right enough.

I am surprised by that, but as you say Big Fil has been out injured too. Don't think Balogun has had a bad game exactly (again only going by memory) Helander has had one mare I believe (I recall the stick he got for it on here) so maybe less to choose between them.

I think Helander is the better player overall and first in line, fairly sure about that but can always be surprised or proved wrong.

18 minutes ago, bluenoz said:

Let's wait until the end of this year's Europa run before saying they don't compare to those great players.

You never know just how far we can go...

Not at that class mate, already made too many mistakes.

3 of our best for a long time, no shame not being at that level.

4 hours ago, Ariel Ortega said:

Balogun came from Wigan and Helander came from Serie A. Balogun has been a decent signing, but he’s backup to Helander. 

Wtf has that got to do with anything? 🤣

Should Defoe start over Morelos given he came from EPL rather than Finland?

Clown.

Him and Goldson seem to connect well each other, no dig at Balogun but I prefer Helander-Goldson partnership. Nice to see them score 2 goals and not conceding a single goal, complete and solid performance.

Archived