Helander

RockwellGers

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I honestly don't know who I prefer which is the biggest compliment to give them both.

Helander is the better defender but Balogun is great as well. Helander just slightly makes me feel more comfortable when defending though for some reason. 

Not a bad situation to be in when you can't decide between who's the best out of your "other 2" centre backs and your happy with either. 

1 minute ago, Jeffrey said:

Balogun is quicker but I can't remember Helander actually getting done for pace? It's not as if we play deeper when he plays so it's a bit of a pointless argument imo

His superior positional sense and game reading masks his lack of pace most of the time. In a flat out race Balogun is quicker imho. 

If it was a straight choice between the two I'd say Helander.

Just now, The Beast said:

His superior positional sense and game reading masks his lack of pace most of the time. In a flat out race Balogun is quicker imho. 

If it was a straight choice between the two I'd say Helander.

Aye that's the point I'm making he is clever enough to avoid getting into that situation

10 minutes ago, Jeffrey said:

Aye that's the point I'm making he is clever enough to avoid getting into that situation

This is bang on I think.  Balogun makes it look like his pace is essential, whereas Helanders positioning means it isnt needed. Natural that players play to their strength so fair enough.

I think Helander compliments Goldson better tho; he is more old school in terms of organisation, positioning and doing the ugly work, so there is a better balance.

Great options to have tho, but we give less away with Helander.

2 minutes ago, GabrielTomato said:

Fucking hell, I'm trying to think but is that right?

I think it’s right although it’s a slightly deceptive stat because he was injured for close to four months and then football shut down for another four so it’s maybe not quite as impressive as it initially sounds.

8 hours ago, Copeland1983 said:

This is bang on I think.  Balogun makes it look like his pace is essential, whereas Helanders positioning means it isnt needed. Natural that players play to their strength so fair enough.

I think Helander compliments Goldson better tho; he is more old school in terms of organisation, positioning and doing the ugly work, so there is a better balance.

Great options to have tho, but we give less away with Helander.

I said this ages ago, having two flashy, ball playing centre halves doesn't look as comfortable as when we have goldson strutting his stuff, and helander doing the dirty work next to him, i also think barisic plays better with helander next to him

The parkhead game earlier in the season, the tarriers never had a shot on goal, helander blocked one at both posts from cutbacks which could have changed the gsme big time, he's a fucking rock barring one game away to benfica

3 minutes ago, Prso's headband said:

His only domestic defeat is the offside final. He’s a class act. I can’t remember him ever being at fault for a goal never mind dropped points. 

Was culpable for one earlier in the season, Benfica I think?

But none the less he is a superb defender, and definitely my preference out of the two.

The thing about Helander that puts him up there only really with guys like McGregor and Davis is that he’s been there and done it in winning multiple league titles with the most successful club in a country where you are expected to be there or thereabouts every year.

We don’t have much of that in the squad at all.

14 hours ago, Jimbeamjunior said:

I said this ages ago, having two flashy, ball playing centre halves doesn't look as comfortable as when we have goldson strutting his stuff, and helander doing the dirty work next to him, i also think barisic plays better with helander next to him

The parkhead game earlier in the season, the tarriers never had a shot on goal, helander blocked one at both posts from cutbacks which could have changed the gsme big time, he's a fucking rock barring one game away to benfica

Think you're bang on here mate.

Maybe I've just not noticed or can't remember but all this talk about Helander's pace and comparing to Balogun, has it ever even been a problem? I can't think of a time when we've conceded a goal because someone has ran past Helander who has been caught out due to being chronically sold. 

Feels like it's just became a buzz thing to say that's been said and everyone has jumped on it. Never noticed a real concern about it. Helander is clearly the better CB of the two. Any goals we've lost due to his so called lack of pace will be way less than goals we have and would have lost without him in the team.

Back when it was just Goldson and Katic and we had just signed Helander I was a bit meh on him at first because I really rated Katic and thought Helander took a little time to settle but he's been absolutely brilliant for us. 

On 27/01/2021 at 23:33, GabrielTomato said:

Fucking hell, I'm trying to think but is that right?

Only lost 3 games in total. One against the taigs in that final, one against Leverkusen and one against Young Boys.

Mental record.

Archived