150 games in, who is Steven Gerrard's best signing?

Graham

Steven Gerrard's best signing  

227 members have voted

1. 1. Who is Steven Gerrard's best signing

• Borna Barisic
    • Connor Goldson
    • Ryan Kent
    • Ianis Hagi
    • Jermain Defoe
    • Filip Helander
    • Leon Balogun
    • Joe Aribo
    • Steven Davis
    • Kemar Roofe
    • Glen Kamara

Since Gerrard's announcement there have been a number of players through the door who have been influencial in progressing us to the fantastic position we now find ourselves in, but who do you think is the pick of the bunch? And why? I've detailed why they are on the list.

Special mention to Alan McGregor and Scott Arfield. They were included initially, but have been removed as technically not Gerrard's signings. (Signed after he was announced but before his official start date. He likely had influence in the final decision but not the overall process.

Also taking nothing away from the massive improvements in players who we already had, namely Tav and Morelos.

Borna Barisic - After struggling with this position for years we finally found someone to mirror Tav on the left side. Slow start but grew into his own after a FK goal v St Mirren and building himself up for the scottish hammer throwers. Gives 100% every game. Fantastic deliveries from open play and deadly from a set piece.

Connor Goldson - Again a slow start and had his critics before this season, but has been instrumental in this seasons fantastic defensive record. Improved his distribution massively with goals added to his game to boot.

Ryan Kent - Fantastic in his loan spell and has been on and off since signing permanently. When he turns up he's unplayable and has performed very well on the big stage, versus them and in Europe.

Ianis Hagi - Has his critics but has similarly to Kent, when he turns up he is very dangerous. Dragged us through the Braga tie. Contributed massively this season with a number of assists, depsite seemingly short of confidence. Had a huge influence on our successful winter period of games. Seems to be our most dangerous player when shooting from afar.

Jermain Defoe - Done what is asked of him on the pitch when called upon. Consummate professional who's positive influence has likely been felt more so off the field than on. Great personality and experience to have in the dressing room and I believe important to Morelos' improvements.

Filip Helander - After a number of players came and went whilst trying to find a suitable partner for Goldson, Helander (swapping out with Balogun) has proven to be the half the piece missing from our defensive puzzle. Assured in Europe and makes up for his lack of pace with anticipation and positioning.

Balogun - The other half of the solution to the defensive puzzle with Helander. Used when more pace is required at the back.

Joe Aribo - Blows hot and cold but has been used effectively to the link up play between our midfields and forwards. Fantastic touch and control and we know he has the ability to be a big player for us moving forward if he can improve his consistency.

Steven Davis - Even at his age he has improved since joining us for his second spell. Similarly to Defoe, a great personality and experience to have in the dressing room. Still bosses games like he is 21 years old whilst juggling us with international duty. Often the root creator of chances with his ability to find a pass through packed defences.

Kemar Roofe - The poacher and goalscorer we have been looking for to back up Morelos. Huge work rate and has been sorely missed through recent his recent injury. Scored THAT goal.

Glen Kamara - Bargain of the century, strolls through games, bosses the midfield with great control and contributes massively to defensive duties.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I hated him after everything that happened post 2012. 

But, I don't know how you could say anything but Alan McGregor.

A man who has saved us (on average) 12 points a Season (imo), taken us so far in Europe numerous times and was only a freebie. 

I doubt we could have got anyone close to his ability for what he's cost. 

Just now, ayro said:

Kamara, he was good but with the training he has went to another level.

Pretty sure McGregor had already signed prior to SG taking over.

I toiled with adding him, but Gerrard had been announced, but not officially started yet. He will have had influence in the decision so I thought there was merit in including him. 

1 minute ago, ayro said:

Kamara, he was good but with the training he has went to another level.

Pretty sure McGregor had already signed prior to SG taking over.

McGregor was already a done deal. Gerrard said he was delighted, but not his signing in any way.

8 minutes ago, GabrielTomato said:

I hated him after everything that happened post 2012. 

But, I don't know how you could say anything but Alan McGregor.

A man who has saved us (on average) 12 points a Season (imo), taken us so far in Europe numerous times and was only a freebie. 

I doubt we could have got anyone close to his ability for what he's cost. 

I agree and had added him on that basis, but others are right in that although he's only played under Gerrard in his second spell, he wasn't his signing.

9 minutes ago, googglebot said:

It's really too hard to choose, I abstain

I was just about to type this, I also abstain. Happy to be delighted right across the board with the signings.

Same goes for being asked what my favourite song or band is.

Good thread though.

1 minute ago, Graham said:

Yea exactly why I had him there. It was all agreed before apparently

I refuse to believe a new manager had no input to a new signing tbh.  But anyway, as far as I’m concerned he’s a Gerrard signing and by far number one.  

Archived