Nathan Patterson

BridgeIsBlue

He epitomises the challenge of developing youth at our club. 

Tav wasn’t happy at coming off yesterday. He is in his prime and wants to play every minute. He is not going to be happy at being “rested” for the remainder of the season so that someone else can get game time.  

so. How do you blood a talented youngster into a team when he plays In The position of your skipper and possibly most influential player?

Loan deals is one option but then he misses out on so much he can learn here, plus we then miss the cover. 

I think the best option is days like yesterday. Get him on for 25-30 minutes at a time and hope that’s enough to both develop him and keep him engaged and hungry to bide his time, however Tav is only 29  he will want to be first choice for next 4-5 years! 

it’s a bastard of a problem 

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Ariel Ortega said:

We don’t play wing backs - it’s full backs if it’s a back 4. And Arthur Numan is easily the best full back we’ve had in my lifetime. David Robertson was good too, though he’s a bit before my time. 

I think you’d be hard pressed to argue Barisic and Tav aren’t wing-backs when you look at their average position during games.

29 minutes ago, demise said:

Looked comfortable anytime hes put the shirt on. How many games do you need to get a winners medal? Would love him to get one. 

I believe it's 10, but given he's in the squad week in week out I'd be surprised if the club didn't ensure he got one regardless.

4 hours ago, Ariel Ortega said:

We don’t play wing backs - it’s full backs if it’s a back 4. And Arthur Numan is easily the best full back we’ve had in my lifetime. David Robertson was good too, though he’s a bit before my time. 

We dont play a typical back 4,.and we absolutely don't play with full backs.

From what I've seen so far NP has all the attributes to not only be a first team player for us but he's also a perfect fit for our system (ie the Tav role)

His biggest obstacle is obviously Tav who is consistent, rarely injured and CAPTAIN

Already Bassey has had much more opportunities because Borna is prone to a few niggles and it is much easier/more acceptable to sub him than it is the team captain (true at most clubs I would suggest)

At 19 he's probably got a bit of patience left but he'll know that the situation above is unlikely to change while Tav's still here but there are two outcomes that can give him the chance he needs and deserves

1. Tav's stock has never been higher and probably never will be. Do we cash in in the summer and use £3-4m of his fee to replace him with a up and coming player who can easier share the role/ battle it out with NP for the role. This might be the smart move. Tav will be 30 in Oct and in the last year of his contract

2. Tav extends his contract and stays. This being the case, could NT and Tav play in the same team? A modern full back is really an all round player who has defensive, midfield and attacking responsibilities at different moments of a game. I've thought for a long time that we could move Tav "up one" like we did to great affect with Fernando. Alternatively we could do the same with NP, learning from Jack (who started at full back in his early days) and Arfield.. When both have been out recently Aribo has filled this role but for me he needs to be "one up" again or a ten to get the best out of him. 

Either way this, imo, is quite an important decision as a club as we really need to be start demonstrating to our best young prospects that there is a pathway to the first team if you're good enough and combine that ability with the correct attitude.

Far too early to say he'll make it, we've seen it all before.

He has to be better than a player we could go out and sign for £3m. Two really good runs from him yesterday and comfortable on the ball so promising signs. But he needs to bulk up, show he can handle being put under pressure defensively and show consistency of good performances.

Currently he's shown flashes of talent which isn't enough to say he's going to be a first choice Rangers player. Hopefully he will though 

3 minutes ago, Broxi said:

Far too early to say he'll make it, we've seen it all before.

He has to be better than a player we could go out and sign for £3m. Two really good runs from him yesterday and comfortable on the ball so promising signs. But he needs to bulk up, show he can handle being put under pressure defensively and show consistency of good performances.

Currently he's shown flashes of talent which isn't enough to say he's going to be a first choice Rangers player. Hopefully he will though 

All comes with games which he simply hasn't been given due to how good Tav has been. 

In a few weeks when the title is wrapped up hopefully we start giving him the games he needs. Only way of knowing 

1 minute ago, The Godfather said:

All comes with games which he simply hasn't been given due to how good Tav has been. 

In a few weeks when the title is wrapped up hopefully we start giving him the games he needs. Only way of knowing 

Happens all the time though, youth player comes in and makes a few 10 yard passes and he's Rangers quality. Reality is you could bring a Cowdenbeath player into the team when 5-0 up at home and they'd probably look comfortable as well and be able to go past a player on the wing and play a few passes. 

The standard Patterson has to get to is extremely high and he hasn't proven a thing yet. But I did say after the game yesterday he looked really good but I just think it's far too early to say he's going to make it. It happens all the time. Jamie Ness scores a screamer in an Old Firm, ends up being a Plymouth player. Rhys McCabe a Sligo Rovers player, Miles Beerman back in Malta, Liam Burt, Zak Rudden. All players who looked the part in early exposures who turned out to be nowhere near the standard of player we'd require but just because they came in and didn't fall over they were suddenly world beaters. 

Patterson has a lot to prove still. But not taking away from him that he did well yesterday. Run of games or even a loan spell to a Premiership team would be good for him. 

It would be fantastic if we started to bring through some quality young players as well as signing good players for reasonable amounts. 

The Ajax method for me is what we should be looking to do.  I know we have brought through some good youngsters in the past but its always been very infrequent.  We just need a consistent string of youth players coming through.  

25 minutes ago, Broxi said:

Happens all the time though, youth player comes in and makes a few 10 yard passes and he's Rangers quality. Reality is you could bring a Cowdenbeath player into the team when 5-0 up at home and they'd probably look comfortable as well and be able to go past a player on the wing and play a few passes. 

The standard Patterson has to get to is extremely high and he hasn't proven a thing yet. But I did say after the game yesterday he looked really good but I just think it's far too early to say he's going to make it. It happens all the time. Jamie Ness scores a screamer in an Old Firm, ends up being a Plymouth player. Rhys McCabe a Sligo Rovers player, Miles Beerman back in Malta, Liam Burt, Zak Rudden. All players who looked the part in early exposures who turned out to be nowhere near the standard of player we'd require but just because they came in and didn't fall over they were suddenly world beaters. 

Patterson has a lot to prove still. But not taking away from him that he did well yesterday. Run of games or even a loan spell to a Premiership team would be good for him. 

It's all subjective, Ferguson looked good and was good enough, Adam, Hutton and the likes too. 

You are going to get far more duds than gems but we shouldn't begrudge the support for liking what they see in the boy and even get a bit excited for the future. It's what it's all about, a young Rangers coming through the ranks to make it at the club.

Its too early to tell but in every test he's been given he's passed and that itself is good to see. 

1 minute ago, The Godfather said:

It's all subjective, Ferguson looked good and was good enough, Adam, Hutton and the likes too. 

You are going to get far more duds than gems but we shouldn't begrudge the support for liking what they see in the boy and even get a bit excited for the future. It's what it's all about, a young Rangers coming through the ranks to make it at the club.

Its too early to tell but in every test he's been given he's passed and that itself is good to see. 

Don't disagree mate. Hope he makes it. Having good, young homegrown academy players coming through the system for "free" is only a good thing. 

Patterson's biggest problem is Tavernier. Don't see Tave leaving any time soon, think he may end up retiring here, and that might just mean Patterson never comes through. Tav could be here another 3/4 years easily. 

1 hour ago, McEwan's Lager said:

He doesn't even have a club at the moment after playing in the Lowland League last season.

Patterson has 4 caps at U21 level, whereas Sinnamon never got a call up. He's levels above him.

Thought I'd catch more then one with that one :caughtone:

Archived