Helander

RockwellGers

Big man deserves a thread, was solid and consistent today. Several times I saw him command the situation and snuff out the danger, had a lot of confident efficient touches too. Plus he scored a belter. I think him and Goldson are a great fit.

This was not an excuse to show him in a JCB. But here he is in a JCB.

helanderjcb.thumb.jpg.fbb2dd488ca9aa44f292b984b57048f5.jpg

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Ariel Ortega said:

Balogun has more pace and I think he’s been a decent find, but there’s a reason Helander was playing in Serie A. 

Balogun has been near flawless in his few appearances recently (and before that) so we have great options for that spot as @SeparateEntityMyArse said

3 minutes ago, bluenoz said:

Only time we lost with him in the team was against Young Boys. Am I right in saying that?

YB, Leverkusen 2nd leg and the filth in  the final. 3 games in 34. Never lost a league game with him in defence. Unreal stat. 😳

I really like Balogun but have always thought Borna plays better with Helander in the team as the balance is better with him being naturally left footed.

There was a Goldson interview where he praised Helander reading of the game, composure etc which is what we need at the highest level.

He had a shit game against Benfica away this season but has been faultless out with.

1 minute ago, The Beast said:

Better than Balogun in every aspect apart from pace.

Balogun is better at breaking from defence with the ball. He's also better at getting tight on attackers without fouling. I also think he exudes more confidence which helps others around him

Its nip and tuck between them, neither is considerably better than the other.

2 minutes ago, SeparateEntityMyArse said:

Balogun is better at breaking from defence with the ball. He's also better at getting tight on attackers without fouling. I also think he exudes more confidence which helps others around him

Its nip and tuck between them, neither is considerably better than the other.

My first reaction is that Helander is the top man here. But honestly can't fault Balogun either, high confidence in both of them.

Superb recruitment all round.

The problem is his pace, it’s been said that the management team think if he had pace he would be playing for a top 6 team in the EPL. I think the system we play with 2 full backs bombing on leaves our centre haves exposed to pace down the sides. Against the better teams this is an issue.

i think he’s a great centre half but I think our system exposes his only weakness which is unfortunate 

15 minutes ago, Lord Lockin said:

Only my opinion but I think Helander would have positioned himself to cut out the cross last week in the Motherwell goal - thought Balogun could have done better 

Helander's man who got the header on target today. Bang central today too 

Archived