Jack Simpson deal done

Dan Deacon

4 minutes ago, McEwan's Lager said:

He’s about to hit his prime age-wise as a CB and could go to 50/60k a week if he went down south. 

True mate but I see him staying another season after lifting the title and probably a once in a lifetime crack at the CL before he heads back down south 

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, stuart1994 said:

At 24 could be a long term replacement for Goldson. Sure big Connor only has 18 months left on his contract, so if no new deal by the summer he could be off.

I'd give goldson a new contract for sure 

3 minutes ago, McEwan's Lager said:

I’ve got no idea whether we have offered him a new contract etc but if he hasn’t signed a new deal in the summer then it would be mad to not try and get money for him.

Yeah, agreed, and I’ll be sad if he leaves but can understand why he’d want another shot at the EPL before he retires, if only for the wage. A dependable English CB who’s been the heart of a defence as effective as ours this season should be able to earn us a decent fee. 

7 minutes ago, McEwan's Lager said:

He’s about to hit his prime age-wise as a CB and could go to 50/60k a week if he went down south. 

The number of people who still think players are going to stay with us and not jump at the first sign of a pay day from the Premier League is insane.

I don’t want any of our players to leave but we need to be realistic about it. People have been trying to use the “champions league” and “trophies” argument as a reason why players will stay since Hutton left in 2008, which was 13 years ago now, you think they would have learnt their lesson by now.

23 minutes ago, SeparateEntityMyArse said:

I do too, and I wouldn't be surprised if Tav was too 😳

I could see it however the chance at Champions League and continuing to work with Gerrard could persuade them for another year I reckon. Can't see them getting a crack at Champions League elsewhere especially in a team where they are nailed on to start.

Just now, DBBTB said:

The number of people who still think players are going to stay with us and not jump at the first sign of a pay day from the Premier League is insane.

I don’t want any of our players to leave but we need to be realistic about it. People have been trying to use the “champions league” and “trophies” argument as a reason why players will stay since Hutton left in 2008, which was 13 years ago now, you think they would have learnt their lesson by now.

Aye well we’ll see in the summer if I have a lesson to learn or if people are just talking pish 🤣

1 minute ago, Tiger Shaw said:

True mate but I see him staying another season after lifting the title and probably a once in a lifetime crack at the CL before he heads back down south 

Champions League is a big if whether we make it though. I know our European record is excellent but the two qualifying rounds won’t be straight forward.

Just now, RebeccaBear92 said:

Can only be a good thing if we are getting Simpson in and getting Edmundson sold. Hopefully he gets game time to develop, not sure if this means Balogun is leaving too though.

It’s Goldson that leaving pal RM have decided 🤣

27 minutes ago, Tiger Shaw said:

Aye mate forums are a great place to judge how good a signing will be 🤣

If you were to read some of the posts on here with no knowledge of how we were doing, especially on matchday threads, you'd think we were 23 points behind celtic with a squad full of donkeys.

27 minutes ago, rangersross said:

I think there's a pretty good chance Goldson will be away in the summer - unfortunately. At his age, it's probably our last chance to 'cash-in' and his last chance to have a crack at being a starter in the EPL / earn an EPL salary. 

This. He'll be free to do a pre contract deal with English clubs this time next year.

Unless contract extensions happen, it may suit all round for us to get a fee and him get a huge English contract signed before he's 30.

17 minutes ago, middli said:

I could see it however the chance at Champions League and continuing to work with Gerrard could persuade them for another year I reckon. Can't see them getting a crack at Champions League elsewhere especially in a team where they are nailed on to start.

I'm sure they'd love the chance of a crack at the CL. But would the club be equally happy for them to do so, and be able to sign pre contracts elsewhere next Jan and walk away for nothing in the summer?

Contract extension is a win win. Without it, them going this summer is very possible.

11 minutes ago, stuart1994 said:

Aye would be high on my priorities as well as Kamara, but I wouldn't be shocked if Goldson would want another crack at the prem.

Yep fair enough hopefully get a good fee for him. Kamara is one I can see going to the prem for a very good fee 

42 minutes ago, RebeccaBear92 said:

Can only be a good thing if we are getting Simpson in and getting Edmundson sold. Hopefully he gets game time to develop, not sure if this means Balogun is leaving too though.

Balogun will be 33 in June so I think its likely.

49 minutes ago, middli said:

It might be out of the players hands. Our business model is to buy low, sell high and reinvest to raise the o/all the squad season by season. We win the League with a water tight defensive record their stock wont get much higher.

I reckon Barisic and Goldson will be for the offski with possibly Tav, Morelos and Kamara going too and the lion's share of that money being reinvested.

34 minutes ago, Jimbeamjunior said:

Why do people think someone the likes of goldson will want another "payday" given we signed him from the EPL he's probably already earned a fucking fortune, 

If he leaves for the epl, it will be for a crack at a higher level of game to see if he can really hold his own. 

So big final contracts and the riches they bring don't come into it for players? Come on to fuck mate. Even some of those who've earned millions more than Goldson ever will have prioritised the money. That's not to say Goldson will, but you can't say he won't unless you know his circumstances and priorities.

2 hours ago, McEwan's Lager said:

The point @DBBTB made was that he had only played 40 senior games not who he played for. You said you could say the same about Goldson, but it’s not true as presented by the facts. 

2 hours ago, DBBTB said:

It’s not really comparable tbh. Goldson had a heart condition that meant he was medically incapable of playing. Simpson just hasn’t been selected.

It really is comparable.  The point being, just because a player hasn't played a lot of games, either in total or for a while, doesn't mean that there's not a player there.  It just means they haven't been given the opportunity, for whatever reason.  The history of football is littered with such players, including some in our very own squad, as has been pointed out by lots of others on here.

Like I said, I'll trust our recruitment team and Gerrard on this one.  They certainly know how to spot a CB. 

Archived