Scottish FA must act after vile comments aimed at Rangers star on HibsTV

The Dude

2 minutes ago, tannerall said:

Ofcom's legal position is quite simple.

"Ofcom has wide-ranging powers across the television, radio, telecoms and postal sectors. It has a statutory duty to represent the interests of citizens and consumers by promoting competition and protecting the public from harmful or offensive material."

It is not Ofcoms decision to determine the law however, this is done by the 2003 Communications Act.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Communications_Act_2003

As you can see in the "Malicious Communications" section, one of the the main determinations of an offence is dependant on the size of the audience, but this is not defined clearly, although there are plenty of legal precedents against a variety of individuals.

Basically, I'd say there was a risk even with a small audience, especially if in the public domain. . 

Im sure they aren't covered by Ofcom strictly but Police and football authorities (as well as Hibs server hosts) can take action.

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Tanner and Gordon Smith were arseholes in Vegas tbh.

Trying to tell fans that had paid thousands to be there how to behave.

The next convention i hope NARSA remember the former player pundits who fight our side when inviting.

Negri can get to fuck as well.

Think i’ll offer to do invites tbh.

Just now, STEPPS BOY said:

I was in that day too for a walkround of Changing rooms and new store and he was with DG.

Aye they had an event on iirc because he ended up shuffling me out the door. Would've been like an RM meet if I'd seen you. I'd bumped into the poster former known as Fury :whistle: on my way in too

7 minutes ago, STEPPS BOY said:

The next convention i hope NARSA remember the former player pundits who fight our side when inviting.

:whistle:

1 minute ago, The Dude said:

Im sure they aren't covered by Ofcom strictly but Police and football authorities (as well as Hibs server hosts) can take action.

I saw an article which suggested Ofcom does not cover the smaller issues, but Ofcom's own site suggests otherwise.

Of course individuals can take action too, if it is seen as unlawful. That's called civil rights. 

How many folk for example have had breach of the peace actions for shouting out something stupid. 

I would suggest that in these cases on this topic it might just come down to legal precedents, or interpretation in the end.

In my view the most worrying thing about Welch's comment was the machete reference. 

1 minute ago, tannerall said:

I saw an article which suggested Ofcom does not cover the smaller issues, but Ofcom's own site suggests otherwise.

Of course individuals can take action too, if it is seen as unlawful. That's called civil rights. 

How many folk for example have had breach of the peace actions for shouting out something stupid. 

I would suggest that in these cases on this topic it might just come down to legal precedents, or interpretation in the end.

In my view the most worrying thing about Welch's comment was the machete reference. 

I think its more down to in-house media channels not being regulated by them as such - similar to how a podcast on youtube isn't.

The machete reference is arguably worse than the 'currant bun' line. Imagine the outrage if an african player was subject to a reference about being speared to death

2 minutes ago, The Dude said:

I think its more down to in-house media channels not being regulated by them as such - similar to how a podcast on youtube isn't.

The machete reference is arguably worse than the 'currant bun' line. Imagine the outrage if an african player was subject to a reference about being speared to death

Is anything being looked at? As others have noted the newspapers have not referenced the machete comments.

Just now, Nameless Ghoul said:

There will still be folk saying his T2 movie is class as it has a scene about 'no more catholics' not even realising it is taking the piss and couldn't be any more against it. 

Guy is a bellend. 

Brilliant song tbf, shame it never made it's way onto the terraces.

1 minute ago, Nameless Ghoul said:

There will still be folk saying his T2 movie is class as it has a scene about 'no more catholics' not even realising it is taking the piss and couldn't be any more against it. 

Guy is a bellend. 

Some scene that all the same 

7 minutes ago, badjon said:

Is anything being looked at? As others have noted the newspapers have not referenced the machete comments.

Yes. SFA are looking at it and have Hibs to submit their entire broadcast. Nobody mentioned them because there wasnt anything to definitively prove what he'd said and gets into a very grey area legally (hence my use of 'reported' in the original article). Now the clip is out there, Ive seen the Record (i think) publish the full quote from Welsh

Canny let this go away tbf. There is an individual in a position of power and influence who is filled with hate towards a group of football fans and what they stand for. If this was against other clubs in this country then the Irish embassy would be literally calling for heads. Imagine FAIR got a hold of this on Rangers TV?

This man named his band after the Ibrox disaster. He should not be allowed to spread his bile on any platform and the macheted comment to me seems racially intended. 

1 hour ago, McEwan's Lager said:

I've personally seen him at another Rangers event.

There's a thread on Kickback talking about how he takes his son to watch Hearts and to Hearts events as well :lol:

Had a quick browse through his Instagram.

He’s was in the Celtic end when they played Bayern and PSG. Also seen a few pics of him in Tynecastle.

Cant tell whether its for reporting or just to watch the games as a neutral.

3 hours ago, STEPPS BOY said:

Boyd should be first on the list.....

Archived