Dave King on his prediction

Dave King taunts Celtic as former Rangers chief repeats 'pack of cards' prediction

The Ibrox chairman was criticised for his strong take on the Hoops ability to withstand a challenge but he looks to have been proven right on the basis of this season's title gap.

Dave King insists sloppy Celtic have only themselves to blame as he declared his prediction is finally coming true.

The former Rangers chairman believes the collapse of Neil Lennon’s side in this historic season fully justifies his claim three years ago they’d eventually fold like a pack of cards.

King reckons Celtic became complacent when Rangers were plunged to their nadir and having to restart in the
bottom tier of the game after liquidation in 2012.

The South African-based businessman claims the Parkhead club should have made it almost impossible for their rivals to catch them, even if Celtic have won the last nine titles in succession.

Now a nosedive in form, furious fans demonstrations and the impending departure of CEO Peter Lawwell has been the perfect storm for Rangers who have been virtually flawless in the Premiership.

King, speaking to the Rangers Connection podcast, said: “I spent a lot of time thinking about Celtic. That was the benchmark, that was the standard we had to get to.

“Looking at the performance of Celtic in their build-up to Nine In A Row I don’t think they were taking full advantage of the extra resources they had at that time. 

“They had no real competition. Aberdeen ran them close a couple of seasons but with Celtic’s resources even that shouldn’t have happened.

“I just felt if we could have real go at them and get in their faces then they would fold like a pack of cards.

“We just had to get in there and start competing with them.

👏👏👏👏👏

Article is from the Rebel, here's the tweet link to full interview.

I think barring nothing is won yet his analysis is fairly accurate and highlights what was lacking in our boardroom prior to this. The headline is needlessly inflammatory though....he’s hardly taunting anyone more than describing what he thought we needed to do as a club. 

I love that this one offhand remark from DK has the vermin in tears years later and mostly due to their premature gloating 😅

I was one of the cunts a couple years ago shouting "all the taigs need to do is keep investing and they've got 10iar" and I'm delighted to be proven completely wrong, I never thought their arse could collapse in titanic like proportions yet here I am watching them sink and its glorious 

Ironically, the beginning of the new reality was a match that the scum actually won.

The complete dominance we demonstrated in the League Cup final planted huge doubt in their mind even though circumstances conspired to gift them a trophy they didn’t deserve.

From that day on, they’ve known the party was over although the scale of the collapse is even more wonderfully epic than we could have hoped.

47 minutes ago, Halfwaybear said:

King should have kept his powder dry until we’ve won it.........and why give the Record the exclusive?

There is a full interview with Dave King in the Daily Mail today about his recruitment of Steve G and Kenny Dalgleish's part in it as well as the pack of cards stuff.

Majority of the board wanted McInnes. King wanted Gerrard.

King met McInnes once and I assume was unimpressed. He had several conversations with Gerrard so was clearly impressed.

Dave looks at the world from his successful business viewpoint. He is usually correct to do so.

Although he predicted it I think King will have been taken back by the speed of the timplosion. He is still looking ahead and sees the need for further investment to secure our place in the CL group stages and beyond. He has taken a lot of stick over the years but was unwavering with his vision for the club.  We would not be where we are today without him. He deserves hero status.

A good side effect is that his comments, will wind up the pressure on the tims, who are now winding up and pressuring their own club, and the article will alienate 3/4 of the paper's football readers.

Not that an ex chairman of our club would ever be kicking another football club when they are down of course.........:whistle:

28 minutes ago, tannerall said:

A good side effect is that his comments, will wind up the pressure on the tims, who are now winding up and pressuring their own club, and the article will alienate 3/4 of the paper's football readers.

Not that an ex chairman of our club would ever be kicking another football club when they are down of course.........:whistle:

Esp his quote (today) that he's had a £3.5k bottle of wine sent over to S.A. from Christies to celebrate the title, that'll rattle the bastards  :UK:

I really, really wish people would wind it in, be a bit more humble, a bit more circumspect in their pronouncements.

If and when we win it, let the shenanigans commence. Rip them apart then, not before. God, how much worse would it feel for them if we actually didn't mutter a word until it was finished? Digging them up now just softens the blow of the inevitable. 

We all want it really, really badly. Doesn't mean we have to throw our muck prematurely.

KEEP THE AMMO DRY!

It’s really Rae, Hateley and Clifford who are responsible for the poor timing of this. They could’ve waited until the title was won and DK could and should’ve said, leave it til then too. 

Given DK was on STV recently repeating it though, that was never going to happen.

I hate this being regurgitated now. It might give the mhanks added incentive tonight, given it’s all across the media.

And, I’m one of those that have yet to be totally convinced by the bottle in our team, (namely Tav, Goldson, Kamara, Aribo, Kent, Hagi, Alfie), to see these remaining games out as comfortably as they should be.

Put it this way, I wouldn’t want to see us going into the split if we’ve dropped a few more points and they’ve chipped it down to a single digit lead.

20 minutes ago, MaddistonKnight said:

I really, really wish people would wind it in, be a bit more humble, a bit more circumspect in their pronouncements.

If and when we win it, let the shenanigans commence. Rip them apart then, not before. God, how much worse would it feel for them if we actually didn't mutter a word until it was finished? Digging them up now just softens the blow of the inevitable. 

We all want it really, really badly. Doesn't mean we have to throw our muck prematurely.

KEEP THE AMMO DRY!

This is where I think Gerrard is in some ways the perfect manager for this situation. He probably still wakes up during the night occasionally thinking about what could have been at Liverpool. He knows how it feels to have a title within reach but not quite make it. So he won't let complacency set in as we edge ever closer to winning the league. 

We need to keep our heads down and grind out the wins each week in the league as much as we can. Forget the europa league etc. The league is all important and until its mathematically impossible we have to keep it in mind its not won and every game is vitally important. 

1 hour ago, McEwan's Lager said:

He never said that originally in the way he has now remembered it.

Could be wrong, but was it not meant more along the lines of we and they would return to winning it as though we were suits in a shuffled pack, rather than anything to do with a house of cards? It's just that it's now been misquoted so often.

Red, black, black, red, black, red, black, red, red...

Archived