Scottish football clubs urged to apologise for historical child sex abuse

Bad Robot

• Replies 817
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Rangers mentions in the report

I have not caught up. But the report mentions 1 perp from Rangers that can be deduced to be Nealy. There were three victims. Two victims were very inappropriately touch when "being examined" they were penetrated. However, both of these two victims say they told no one. Knowing what we know now coaches should never be alone doing "medical" stuff with partially undressed players. 

The other victim was threatened with a spanking and had to pull his pants down and assume the position but was not spanked. This was unquestionably inappropriate. He told his parents, his dad was a police officer, who then confronted Nealy and the club. The Rangers fired him and claimed to have notified the police. With the victims dad being a police officer it seems likely. However, this was before electronic police record keeping so a record of the club contacting the police can not be found. 

I was spanked in school in the early 90s. I have no problem believing that at this time the police would not of taken a report like this seriously. 

celtic in the report

From the report we can see 4 victims and at least three perps. There have been at least 7 people convicted at celtic for child sexual abuse. So the report obliviously is not a full accounting. 

3 minutes ago, Brackley said:

Interestingly BBC Question Time tonight is from Scotland with Angela Haggerty as one of the guests.

Wonder if there will be a planted question for the Hag to spout Lieswell's instructions. 

Don't hold your breath. More like she'll be on about Indy Ref2 and pumping up the rhetoric! 

10 minutes ago, AGC123 said:

State of this headline story big bad Rangers, taigs get the tiniest of mentions right at the end 

4C2EBF4B-9F2C-431B-ADA4-01BB3EB6420F.png

The kids dad was a cop. 

They did not have electrical filling of police reports at that time.

By the Police SOP the physical copy of this report would have been destroyed by now. 

The incident in question was a spanking. I agree that the kid was abused. But I doubt police would have escalated the matter at that time. I know from my personal experience corporal punishment was common place at that time in Schools and things like that. 

Of course the article is part of an agenda, but some of that is due to ongoing legal issues which cannot be published (or discussed on phone ins etc). Publishing it prior the conclusion of those issues is disingenuous at best but doesn’t mean we should ignore our own issues, just because our rivals are worse. 

We all know the stories about our rivals, and that will come out in due time through the legal process, but instances of abuse is not a time for whataboutery. We as a club need to own and apologise/recompense anyone who has been affected by individuals connected with us. We need to show we are leaders both on and off the pitch and doing the right thing by these people is the least we can do.  

2 hours ago, AGC123 said:

State of this headline story big bad Rangers, taigs get the tiniest of mentions right at the end 

4C2EBF4B-9F2C-431B-ADA4-01BB3EB6420F.png

To be fair to the BBC Scottish news at 10:30 tonight it focused on celtic and they were the only club named and a picture of their stadium up on the screen. The news report quoted the inquiry report that it was strongly suspected that individuals within the club, including a high profile manager and a director, were aware of the abuse. 

It is up to Rangers to address the issues within our club in the proper way and let others worry about what went on elsewhere. 

5 hours ago, Sunglasses Ron said:

We need to move quickly with a statement apologising where fault lies and compensate without delay. I want us to show we are the polar opposite of that mob trying to deny and deflect, but mostly because its the right thing to do. 

It isn't as simple as that though.  I'm not trying to deflect here but our Club and probably other clubs (not the tims) have to be careful and take legal advice.   There will be a number of factors to be considered before we say or do anything.

3 hours ago, jtylerpittman said:

The kids dad was a cop. 

They did not have electrical filling of police reports at that time.

By the Police SOP the physical copy of this report would have been destroyed by now. 

The incident in question was a spanking. I agree that the kid was abused. But I doubt police would have escalated the matter at that time. I know from my personal experience corporal punishment was common place at that time in Schools and things like that. 

Alastair Hood was our security man at the time I believe and he was a former policeman of reasonable rank.   I would expect that at some stage he would have discussed this with the victim and or his dad.  Probably spoken to former colleagues and the decision would have been reached that sacking Neely probably the best outcome.  Nobody at Rangers was aware of Neely's true  depravity at that time.  As you rightly comment, it would have been deemed unacceptable corporal punishment at worst at that point in time.   In my childhood, it wasn't uncommon to know someone who was smacked or belted on the bare backside every time they really pissed off their parents.    Younger posters on here will not appreciate that what is now considered totally unacceptable physical abuse as a punishment for bad behaviour, would hardly raise an eyebrow in our childhood.

2 hours ago, KingKirk said:

Have Rangers realesed a  statement regarding this tonight. I was hoping we'd see on? Really poor if not btw

Handle your responsibility Rangers and do the correct thing. 

I think speaking to their legal teams before releasing a statement that could possibly harm us and cause legal ramifications will be a bigger priority than appeasing any fans. 

3 hours ago, Malkytfp1 said:

I think speaking to their legal teams before releasing a statement that could possibly harm us and cause legal ramifications will be a bigger priority than appeasing any fans. 

There's a bit in the report that covers making an apology can't be used as evidence of wrongdoing (not the exact wording but don't have time to go quote the report just now)

12 hours ago, Howsitgoing said:

Do you believe that this paedo escaped justice because Rangers covered up what he done? 

No. That falls on several different parties. However I do believe that Rangers' actions weren't enough to ensure he couldn't continue offending - while also doing pathetically little to support victims, then or now. 

1 minute ago, The Dude said:

No. That falls on several different parties. However I do believe that Rangers' actions weren't enough to ensure he couldn't continue offending - while also doing pathetically little to support victims, then or now. 

What caused his career to effectively end within SFA remit football clubs whilst he was only in his mid 40’s? 

They didn’t take the allegations seriously enough and should of stopped the bullying by the other coaches that seem to have occurred. 

Just now, Howsitgoing said:

What caused his career to effectively end within SFA remit football clubs whilst he was only in his mid 40’s? 

They didn’t take the allegations seriously enough and should of stopped the bullying by the other coaches that seem to have occurred. 

He'd not be the first coach to fall out the game in his 40s. 

What caused McCoists to end at a similar age? 

8 hours ago, JCDBigBear said:

It isn't as simple as that though.  I'm not trying to deflect here but our Club and probably other clubs (not the tims) have to be careful and take legal advice.   There will be a number of factors to be considered before we say or do anything.

What factors?

10 minutes ago, The Dude said:

He was a coach that if I remember right we paid some sort of transfer fee to Hibs to get. He was at a level where he could easily have went to another professional club. The inquiry can’t even confirm if he went to amateur clubs. Something stopped him.

McCoist tried to get a managers  job with Sunderland and a couple others, he has found his ideal profession, he’s brilliant at what he does. 

4 minutes ago, Howsitgoing said:

He was a coach that if I remember right we paid some sort of transfer fee to Hibs to get. He was at a level where he could easily have went to another professional club. The inquiry can’t even confirm if he went to amateur clubs. Something stopped him.

McCoist tried to get a managers  job with Sunderland and a couple others, he has found his ideal profession, he’s brilliant at what he does. 

We paid to buy out the remainder of his contract at Hibs (if anything at all). 

Whats to say Neely didn't go for other jobs but wasn't given it? Perhaps Neely found his 'ideal profession' away from football. 

5 minutes ago, The Dude said:

We paid to buy out the remainder of his contract at Hibs (if anything at all). 

Whats to say Neely didn't go for other jobs but wasn't given it? Perhaps Neely found his 'ideal profession' away from football. 

They say the police was aware so what else could Rangers have done to stop him getting his ideal job away from football because his football career was finished. 

Still pisses me off that Hibs role in the Neely case passes without comment.

There are processes today around disclosure and references etc but, at that time, none of that was in place. So they let a man known or suspected of this kind of behaviour move to another club to carry on.

A wee phone call or a discreet chat over a quiet cup of tea was the least that Hibs should have done.

20 minutes ago, The Dude said:

Dude, you have come up with some good stuff on occasions and, in your other persona, some contrarian bollocks in what appears to be an attempt to be controversial, relevant or just to needle.

But the above question is actually offensive. Trying to conflate a Rangers great's departure from football management (not from the game as he has a very high profile media career that you seem to be missing - and I don't recall Gordon Neely's top level media career - and also Ally has had several offers to return to management which he's declined for various reasons) and the thankful removal of a heinous piece of shit from the Scottish game is quite frankly shameful.

If I was Ally and I knew who you were, which he may well do, the next time I met you I'd put my toe through your scrotum.

For someone with an (understandable) aversion to get involved in discussions on CSA your contributions in the past few hours are bizarre.

Your comment on McCoist goes beyond bizarre to disgraceful imo

Archived