Scottish football clubs urged to apologise for historical child sex abuse

Bad Robot

18 minutes ago, Dickie said:

How the fuck are we the odd one out? You don’t just rush out with statements when it’s unclear if we were even guilty of anything although your over dramatics assume otherwise. The fucking report took how long and it also took an eternity to publish it,most is unsubstantiated allegations but you want Rangers to rush out a statement 5 mins afterwards. The only dark cloud is 9n your head mate.

At least 2 children were abused in some form at our club, 1 of which we were aware of and sacked the individual. He could have continued  to prey upon younger members of society afterwards if our stance hasn’t been strong enough. 

We should immediately be acknowledging the report, regardless of it’s findings, and if we then need more time to digest and make a fuller statement that’s fine. But continuing a commercial rollout campaign instead of making this priority number 1 is a disgrace.

We have, in all probability, failed to adequately protect our youth players and follow up on their claims. Whether it’s down to a lack of procedure isn’t good enough, if we know he’s been behaving poorly with kids at our club we should have been doing all we could at the time to ensure he never worked with them again, we owe that to the wider community. It’s a systematical failure, of course, and I understand that people may look at it and say “it’s a sign of the times” but that’s not good enough any longer. 

We sacked the pervert, then thanked him for his service and wished him well in the official club publication. That’s a disgrace.

• Replies 817
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, Howsitgoing said:

Something stopped him from working again within football clubs that the SFA remit covers. If SFA doesn’t have a situation where if employees of clubs are dismissed they should then be automatically informed on this dismissal then they should. If that happened that might confirm where the story of the ban list comes from. 

You don’t know if any of that is true. You have nothing to say he couldn’t work at the SFA and it’s just as likely to say he worked independently because he knew he was now under a microscope.

6 minutes ago, kelvd1873 said:

It time for calms heads as obviously this whole subject is absolutely fucking abhorrent.

What I will say though is Rangers should, if they havent already, look into these allegations and do whatever outcome is right. If that’s an apology and compensation then that’s what should happen. 

but I have no problem with our clubs current silence IF it is because we are hopefully seeking legal advice. Who knows we may be also be asking questions as to why without ANY prior convictions we are almost the headline club in the report and the tabloids before commenting. At this moment in time I’m happy to give the club the benefit of the doubt. 

To be honest I'm surprised that some Rangers fans on here are jumping down the clubs throat when the report was only released 24 hours ago. Who needs fucking enemies....

The club have known of this issue for a while and a few years ago referred one of the people who were abused to the liquidators of the oldco to take it up with them. 

7 minutes ago, kelvd1873 said:

It time for calms heads as obviously this whole subject is absolutely fucking abhorrent.

What I will say though is Rangers should, if they havent already, look into these allegations and do whatever outcome is right. If that’s an apology and compensation then that’s what should happen. 

but I have no problem with our clubs current silence IF it is because we are hopefully seeking legal advice. Who knows we may be also be asking questions as to why without ANY prior convictions we are almost the headline club in the report and the tabloids before commenting. At this moment in time I’m happy to give the club the benefit of the doubt. 

To be honest I'm surprised that some Rangers fans on here are jumping down the clubs throat when the report was only released 24 hours ago. Who needs fucking enemies....

The club needs to acknowledge the existence of the report, at least. If they need more time to go through it and give a fuller response then fine, but it stinks right now. 

5 minutes ago, ScottBF2 said:

You don’t know if any of that is true. You have nothing to say he couldn’t work at the SFA and it’s just as likely to say he worked independently because he knew he was now under a microscope.

That’s the problem with the inquiry, it was there job to look at evidence and make conclusions on it. You don’t know it’s not true but evidently and wether it’s due to how our great club handled this case which the review has commended or wether it was just luck ,he didn’t go on to abuse others at clubs where SFA have power over. 

1 minute ago, ScottBF2 said:

as said I just wish someone with investigative journalist skills would do some research on any of the individuals associated with our club out with the club doing a full investigation. 
Has anyone seen any news report asking where the scums 2 year (now nearly 4 year) internal investigation is as they’ve completely omitted it from their statement ?

4 minutes ago, ScottBF2 said:

The club needs to acknowledge the existence of the report, at least. If they need more time to go through it and give a fuller response then fine, but it stinks right now. 

we’re damned if we don’t and will be damned if we release a short box ticking exercise like the others but yes I think we need to go with the latter.

1 minute ago, Howsitgoing said:

That’s the problem with the inquiry, it was there job to look at evidence and make conclusions on it. You don’t know it’s not true but evidently and wether it’s due to how our great club handled this case which the review has commended or wether it was just luck ,he didn’t go on to abuse others at clubs where SFA has power over. 

The guys dead, he can’t be asked. Regardless, we should have never published the statement we did about him at the time and it’s very easy to see how he could use something like that as a sort of recommendation or proof of credentials when looking for work elsewhere. We are not to blame if he did go and offend elsewhere after being at Rangers, assuming we called the police, etc, but that doesn’t mean we’re totally guilt free either. We could have and IMO should have done a lot more.

Just now, Bad Robot said:

we’re damned if we don’t and will be damned if we release a short box ticking exercise like the others but yes I think we need to go with the latter.

The whole thing just makes me feel sick mate, I can see where everyone’s coming from and I feel almost as if I’m attacking the club, but really the club has attacked itself here with its inaction, both now and in the past. 

1 minute ago, ScottBF2 said:

The guys dead, he can’t be asked. Regardless, we should have never published the statement we did about him at the time and it’s very easy to see how he could use something like that as a sort of recommendation or proof of credentials when looking for work elsewhere. We are not to blame if he did go and offend elsewhere after being at Rangers, assuming we called the police, etc, but that doesn’t mean we’re totally guilt free either. We could have and IMO should have done a lot more.

There was no statement, it was an irrelevant extract by an amateur journalist and if that’s all it took for a reference then I’m needing a job there, I’ll be the managing director please, with atleast £100k a year salary. 

The review did commend how we acted when made aware, that might not make good headlines in today’s newspapers but it is a fact you shouldn’t ignore. 

14 minutes ago, McEwan's Lager said:

The club have known of this issue for a while and a few years ago referred one of the people who were abused to the liquidators of the oldco to take it up with them. 

Mate I’ve also read on this forum that was just a sensationalist headline from the sun newspaper!! Who’s incorrect, who isn’t? 

Maybe, just maybe the club are now asking their lawyers about what course of action they should take when the current co. didn’t run the club back then? 

1 minute ago, Howsitgoing said:

There was no statement, it was an irrelevant extract by an amateur journalist and if that’s all it took for a reference then I’m needing a job there, I’ll be the managing director please, with atleast £100k a year salary. 

The review did commend how we acted when made aware, that might not make good headlines in today’s newspapers but it is a fact you shouldn’t ignore. 

It was an official club publication thanking him for his service and wishing him well for the future. A small time club in Galashiels looking for a manager is going to jump at the chance to have Rangers’ youth coach offer his services, especially when it looks like the club and he parted ways amicably. 

The guy is quite clearly a manipulator, it’s a common trait of these beastly bastards, and it’s not out with the realms of possibility to assume he’s manipulated this situation to suit himself as well. Stay out of the public eye and keep doing what he wants to on a freelance basis.

I am sure that we will do the right thing once all the facts are known.

One victims father was a policeman and it was reported to the police. No electronic records in those days and no paperwork now exists.

That withstanding I am sure that apologies and compensation will be offered in due course.

17 minutes ago, ScottBF2 said:

I see where you coming from bud!! But tbh I’d rather the club come out in the next few days with a clear statement after hopefully seeking legal advice rather than do what celtic just did, said a lot without actually saying anything!!

6 minutes ago, ScottBF2 said:

“A small time club in Galashiels looking for a manager is going to jump at the chance to have Rangers’ youth coach offer his services,”

Exactly and not enough is made of why no clubs jumped at the chance to have an ex Rangers youth coach.

6 minutes ago, ScottBF2 said:

It was an official club publication thanking him for his service and wishing him well for the future. A small time club in Galashiels looking for a manager is going to jump at the chance to have Rangers’ youth coach offer his services, especially when it looks like the club and he parted ways amicably. 

Tbh that doesn’t look good but it’s not always as black and white as it seems. 

As far as I’m aware no “official” press release from the club thanked him for his service apart from a small snippet in the Rangers news, correct? Who’s to say the editor didn’t actually know why he was sacked? was he pals with the editor? Was it just an industry practice to no slander someone’s name back then? Was it such a taboo subject back then that people didn’t really understand the severity of allegedly spanking a child that isn’t yours? Who knows, hopefully the club is looking down this avenue for answers!!

30 minutes ago, ScottBF2 said:

He never coached except privately after leaving us. Bit strange really when you consider he was highly rated. Almost like he became unemployable. Beyond that what's our responsibility here exactly? Hood went to the parents and urged them to take it further they chose not to. That lads parents decisions aren't our responsilibiity IMO.

5 minutes ago, Getstiffed said:

He never coached except privately after leaving us. Bit strange really when you consider he was highly rated. Almost like he became unemployable. Beyond that what's our responsibility here exactly? Hood went to the parents and urged them to take it further they chose not to. That lads parents decisions aren't our responsilibiity IMO.

If you know someone’s a nonce, or even has acted inappropriately around children, it’s your responsibility as an organisation to ensure it’s reported fully. Now, there is nothing to say we didn’t report it to the police, I accept that, but did we report him to the SFA? Did we contact clubs to ensure they were aware? 

The one thing you certainly do not do, under any circumstances is wish them well. Regardless of whether it’s painted as a small snippet in an article it’s still our publication and we didn’t subsequently retract it.

If the reports relating to the handling since are to be believed, and again there’s nothing to suggest they shouldn’t, we’ve also acted poorly when the victims have come to us looking for answers. We need to make strides to right our wrongs, whatever they are, and repair this situation straight away. This is not about saving face, it’s about doing what’s right.

The club should come out and apologise to the fans for allowing that team of bheast harbourers from the east end to share the same league as us. Ffs we all knew what was going on and even now the SFA sweep sweep report put out which has six pages on Rangers and two pages on Celtic is another scandal in itself.  Kick the cunts out as from everything I’ve read up over the years, Rangers conducted themselves properly (apart from wishing the cunt well when we papped him). We’re no even in the same conversation as these cunts from Parkhead so don’t let anybody tell ye different.  

Just now, EverestGers said:

The club should come out and apologise to the fans for allowing that team of bheast harbourers from the east end to share the same league as us. Ffs we all knew what was going on and even now the SFA sweep sweep report put out which has six pages on Rangers and two pages on Celtic is another scandal in itself.  Kick the cunts out as from everything I’ve read up over the years, Rangers conducted themselves properly (apart from wishing the cunt well when we papped him). We’re no even in the same conversation as these cunts from Parkhead so don’t let anybody tell ye different.  

We don’t control what they do in their house, their club is deplorable for many reasons, this included. What we need to do is ensure we’re upholding the traditions and standards our great club expects, unfortunately we’ve fallen short here and we need to remedy the situation quickly.

2 hours ago, Hadron Collider said:

You taking the piss mate? 

No that was praise. No one else spotted the obvious there, especially  myself. A policeman would have been obligated to raise any issues, and most certainly would have for his son, especialy if it was seriously bad.

At first I was going to suggest the policeman would have told colleagues and it would be all over the place as gossip, but maybe he chose to play it down. Or maybe as has been suggested, the police caught up with Neely elsewhere.

Without getting involved with oldco newco  thing ,the thing that strikes me is that when things changed within the club how much information is available to the current board about the things that happened within the club before they took over , how much paperwork, files , etc were or are available to them to find out what we did , what we didn't do , what we can do. The only people that know what happened or didn't happen were the ones employed at that time who were privy to that information. There are allegations, there are stories , the police were informed but no record of it apparently. How do our board then come out and try to do the right thing when there are so many things that other people that were employed at the time know that our current board don't . Don't know what the answer is but the current board shouldn't be rushed into a statement when it's maybe best to make a more informed statement if and when they find out more about it other that newspaper headlines. By all means make a statement acknowledging the report and wait till they have better info into who did what and who knew and what we did.

34 minutes ago, tannerall said:

No that was praise. No one else spotted the obvious there, especially  myself. A policeman would have been obligated to raise any issues, and most certainly would have for his son, especialy if it was seriously bad.

At first I was going to suggest the policeman would have told colleagues and it would be all over the place as gossip, but maybe he chose to play it down. Or maybe as has been suggested, the police caught up with Neely elsewhere.

Ok. 

1 hour ago, Rmc54 said:

Without getting involved with oldco newco  thing ,the thing that strikes me is that when things changed within the club how much information is available to the current board about the things that happened within the club before they took over , how much paperwork, files , etc were or are available to them to find out what we did , what we didn't do , what we can do. The only people that know what happened or didn't happen were the ones employed at that time who were privy to that information. There are allegations, there are stories , the police were informed but no record of it apparently. How do our board then come out and try to do the right thing when there are so many things that other people that were employed at the time know that our current board don't . Don't know what the answer is but the current board shouldn't be rushed into a statement when it's maybe best to make a more informed statement if and when they find out more about it other that newspaper headlines. By all means make a statement acknowledging the report and wait till they have better info into who did what and who knew and what we did.

Some folk on here should heed to such advice before slinging mud about matters they know little of.

Archived