Scottish football clubs urged to apologise for historical child sex abuse

Bad Robot

2 minutes ago, Bigdave30 said:

If there is such a thing as a ‘gold standard’ in the protection of kids in sport, I want my club to be that.

The more eyeballs on the problem the better.

The only eyeballs that will hold any sway are independent ones. Mate we've got people in our support questioning the integrity of huge fucken names at our club already. Any report from an internal investigation will be dismissed. Chocolate coins is all youre getting with that not a gold standard.

• Replies 817
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 minutes ago, Getstiffed said:

The only eyeballs that will hold any sway are independent ones. Mate we've got people in our support questioning the integrity of huge fucken names at our club already. Any report from an internal investigation will be dismissed. Chocolate coins is all youre getting with that not a gold standard.

It’s not about proving anything to anyone it’s about investigating  breaches of child safeguarding and preventing them from happening again.

Not looking at your own protocols isn’t going to make them better.

Just now, Bigdave30 said:

It’s not about proving anything to anyone it’s about investigation breaches of child safeguarding and preventing them from happening again.

You've lost me here mate. Why wouldn't an independent investigation and subsequent report include our protocols or how to improve them? I haven't said get a team in but only let them investigate a wee bit. A said a full frank investigation.

Starting to feel like youre being willfully obtuse here.

It’s not about proving anything to anyone it’s about investigation breaches of child safeguarding and preventing them from happening again.

Aww FFS! Do you trust the sfa?  Let’s wait for the club statement. 

5 minutes ago, Getstiffed said:

You've lost me here mate. Why wouldn't an independent investigation and subsequent report include our protocols or how to improve them? I haven't said get a team in but only let them investigate a wee bit. A said a full frank investigation.

Starting to feel like youre being willfully obtuse here.

Because investigations by anyone are not foolproof, that’s why I said the club should be self examining concurrently alongside any and all external investigations.

For whatever reason you don’t agree, I said at the start we will need to agree to disagree. 

2 minutes ago, Hadron Collider said:

Aww FFS! Do you trust the sfa?  Let’s wait for the club statement. 

I just think the club should be trying to lead the way in setting a gold standard for the protection of children in Scottish football.

Thats what I want to see and can get behind.

4 minutes ago, Bigdave30 said:

It’s not about proving anything to anyone it’s about investigating  breaches of child safeguarding and preventing them from happening again.

Is that not what this notorious  inquiry should of done? Why did the inquiries TORs specify that it wasn’t within the scope to investigate breaches of child safeguarding? The inquiry was ordered that it wasn’t allowed to put blame to any clubs. Look at this apology from SFA after this Henry stated that a club didn’t do the right thing when they were made aware of children being sexually abused. Henry had to apologise. 

1BC1DADD-64CC-4E6F-99F5-6F808CB891A0.jpeg

Just now, Howsitgoing said:

Is that not what this notorious  inquiry should of done? Why did the inquiries TORs specify that it wasn’t within the scope to investigate breaches of child safeguarding? The inquiry was ordered that it wasn’t allowed to put blame to any clubs. Look at this apology from SFA after this Henry stated that a club didn’t do the right thing when they were made aware of children being sexually abused. Henry had to apologise. 

1BC1DADD-64CC-4E6F-99F5-6F808CB891A0.jpeg

Rangers should be looking internally to improve our capacity to increase safeguarding for children within the club.

Im not talking about anyone else.

Difference being in the child abuse stuff did Rangers and the rest of the other clubs not sack the cunts but 1 club kept it quiet and re-hired James Torbett?

Hate the point scoring stuff as its such a sensitive issue. 

Celtic surely have the biggest scandal in world football when it comes to the boys club?

I just think the club should be trying to lead the way in setting a gold standard for the protection of children in Scottish football.

I understand the sentiment, would be admirable indeed if we took a lead, but would not be fitting, all need to be talking a high standard, and work together. 

The SFA has an important part to play in this and should be setting a standard for all, with proper legal and government advice where necessary.  Sadly it is blatantly obvious they do not have the substance or ability, or perhaps even inclination to do this, and have deflected it away from themselves. Disgraceful.

Rangers should be looking internally to improve our capacity to increase safeguarding for children within the club.

By refusing to realise SFA’s true purpose with this inquiry it’ll be impossible for you to use this inquiry as a basis for Rangers to improve on safe guarding children. All we can take from this inquiry is that there’s three incidents that needs us to take decisive action on. The rest is mealy mouthed rubbish which Kenny Dalglish could of done with his “ maybe i or maybe no” 

This fucking report has got Rangers fans turning on each other. The fucking sfa? Cunts who wanted us dead and contributed to our demise a few years ago and now we are to trust them with a fucking report from a reprobate like martin henry?  It’s a horrible subject, and needs to be addressed and fixed properly. I’d like to think the club are going through this report with a fine toothed comb. Not to mention it has been delayed since 2018 for some reasons. Wonder why. Mon troops, were better than that and I can’t believe our club are not going to do the right thing. 

I don’t think it’s about the current situation in regards to guidelines which I’m sure our current policies are all spot on as legally and morally as they need to be. I’m also sure I’ve read that 80% of the recommendations have already being implemented. I don’t think Rangers can probably learn anymore from what is in the public domain but I still think we need our own inquiry as the SFA in my opinion details issues but doesn’t go far enough to try prove or disprove points and is therefore still inconclusive and open to interpretation. I only refer about the text written about us. I would be surprised and disappointed  if we never acted on this report and I would hope a statement to this would be forthcoming. I think it’s wrong that clubs have to apologise in a general sense as apologies need to go to individuals. The sfa is the body to make a general apology as we are all under that umbrella, then and now. 

6 minutes ago, Bad Robot said:

I don’t think it’s about the current situation in regards to guidelines which I’m sure our current policies are all spot on as legally and morally as they need to be. I’m also sure I’ve read that 80% of the recommendations have already being implemented. I don’t think Rangers can probably learn anymore from what is in the public domain but I still think we need our own inquiry as the SFA in my opinion details issues but doesn’t go far enough to try prove or disprove points and is therefore still inconclusive and open to interpretation. I only refer about the text written about us. I would be surprised and disappointed  if we never acted on this report and I would hope a statement to this would be forthcoming. I think it’s wrong that clubs have to apologise in a general sense as apologies need to go to individuals. The sfa is the body to make a general apology as we are all under that umbrella, then and now. 

Fuck the sfa!  

6 minutes ago, Hadron Collider said:

This fucking report has got Rangers fans turning on each other. The fucking sfa? Cunts who wanted us dead and contributed to our demise a few years ago and now we are to trust them with a fucking report from a reprobate like martin henry?  It’s a horrible subject, and needs to be addressed and fixed properly. I’d like to think the club are going through this report with a fine toothed comb. Not to mention it has been delayed since 2018 for some reasons. Wonder why. Mon troops, were better than that and I can’t believe our club are not going to do the right thing. 

"Not to mention it has been delayed since 2018 for some reasons. Wonder why".

It was delayed as they were rewriting it while removing some of the victims testimonies of the abuse suffered under one club, also it was redrafted more than once (allegedly of course).

The only way the truth will be heard/uncovered is with a full independently lead enquiry by someone out with the current  Scottish authorities.

Our great club should be pushing for this and must accept the findings that come from it, if caught wanting we (the club) must make right any failings to protect children under our care at that time.

9 minutes ago, Sweetheart said:

Now that the SFA have finished the report what happens? Will the information be passed on to the police for further inquiry? 

It’s in the public domain and I’m positive anything shared with the sfa by anyone will have also been shared to the police and others.

I have read all the club statements and to call them individual apologies is a stretch. Instead, they are worded as a systematic crime throughout society in our country. A deflection tactic written by lawyers. The Henry report asks all clubs to apologize but mentions no share of the blame for the sporting institution running football in our country. (from my understanding - I could be wrong). There is also no mention as to why the Scottish government never intervened and investigated. Surely the sfa & the gov't are equally culpable? Where are the demands for their apologies?

Across the city, they have hidden peadophilla for over 50 years. One day, it may go down as the biggest crime in sports history. Yet this thread is focussed on us (mainly from our token blogger)- about a crime none of us really know the details about. If (and I say with a big IF), we did report Neely to law enforcement or at the very least to his police dad, then the mud should be flung at the police. If we have covered this up, then our current regime (iDouglas Park) must act accordingly to correct past errors as it is not too late to compensate and do the right thing.

Until we actually know how we reacted all those years ago, a statement cannot be demanded. Everything is speculative.

12 minutes ago, Sweetheart said:

Now that the SFA have finished the report what happens? Will the information be passed on to the police for further inquiry? 

10 minutes ago, Bad Robot said:

It’s in the public domain and I’m positive anything shared with the sfa by anyone will have also been shared to the police and others.

The report states:

"The Review engaged directly with 240 individuals as part of the Review process. A further identified 71 individuals who had been personally affected by sexual abuse in Scottish Football, including family members and friends, engaged with the Review. 33 individuals provided personal accounts including actual allegations of sexual abuse in Scottish football directly to the Review. The vast majority reported relevant information to Police Scotland to form part of the criminal enquiries"

I feel pride that Rangers sacked that monster and informed the police. That was what was said a few years ago when this story first emerged and I believe that. At the time that was the right thing to do and it’s easy to criticise with 2021 hindsight. Shouldnt have wished him well but otherwise, Well done Rangers. 

14 minutes ago, Sunglasses Ron said:

I feel pride that Rangers sacked that monster and informed the police. That was what was said a few years ago when this story first emerged and I believe that. At the time that was the right thing to do and it’s easy to criticise with 2021 hindsight. Shouldnt have wished him well but otherwise, Well done Rangers. 

They need to come out and clarify this again mate and follow it up with an apology to the victims and offer compensation.

If this doesn’t happen then once again the board will be letting everyone of us and the club down and should be chased 

What are the facts here? Did Rangers sack this man? Did he work for another football team? Did Rangers (Souness or Smith) report this to the Police/Father who was a Police officer?

Everything else is speculation to a point. We don't know if the child victim wanted their name publicised or if their parents wanted to stop any stigma that would have happened from this. We don't know if Rangers spoke with the parents and allowed them to decide the best course of action for their child. If the father was a Police man, then I am sure other Police would have known if it was not being processed to protect the child and may (as often they did) took alternitive action.

3 hours ago, The Dude said:

I very much know it's now about me. But...if folk want to take silly wee shots at me, I'll happily make them look like a dick by blowing it out the water.

I called ye a warmer so how ye blowing that out the water ya utter stoater 🙈

Archived