Scottish football clubs urged to apologise for historical child sex abuse

Bad Robot

2 minutes ago, Hadron Collider said:

🤣 put your findings and thoughts about this on site that employs you. 

No thanks. As I've said repeatedly for a number of years. I've no interest in, or desire, to write articles covering child abuse. I write about football. By all means however, go to wordpress.com, register your own blog ansd have at it. When you do, make sure you send me a link so I can have a read.

• Replies 817
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, The Dude said:

No thanks. As I've said repeatedly for a number of years. I've no interest in, or desire, to write articles covering child abuse. I write about football. By all means however, go to wordpress.com, register your own blog ansd have at it. When you do, make sure you send me a link so I can have a read.

You’re a blogger like the rest of us then. Your admitting you’re not an investigative journalist, you know, people who actually do grunt work. Very good. 

7 minutes ago, ScottBF2 said:

I really don’t get why people have such an issue with the guy doing a job and earning a living. It actually comes across as jealousy - I’d love to be in the Dudes shoes.

As a club we’ve fucked this up massively, not just from a PR standpoint. 

It's usually the same ppl too that on 1 hand bang on about him not doing articles about this while on the other hand go on about he's just a blogger , fake journo etc 

6 minutes ago, ScottBF2 said:

I really don’t get why people have such an issue with the guy doing a job and earning a living. It actually comes across as jealousy - I’d love to be in the Dudes shoes.

I don’t think the club have fkd up pr wise as the sfa report is group shaming for the protection of one club IMO

the fact clubs have to make a general apology is also a nonsense 

The club I hope should have a plan to deal with these historical issues as it would be wrong not too but we’re dealing with allegations and not convictions regardless of how credible the allegations are. 

5 minutes ago, Hadron Collider said:

You’re a blogger like the rest of us then. Your admitting you’re not an investigative journalist, you know, people who actually do grunt work. Very good. 

Your description of an investigative journalist is nowhere near what an investigative journalist is.

2 hours ago, ScottBF2 said:

Your opinion. No cunt on here knows the club’s position especially super sleuth. 

2 hours ago, The Dude said:

You seem to be all over topics on here regarding child abuse but you have no interest in writing about them, Why the interest on here?

2 minutes ago, Smile said:

You seem to be all over topics on here regarding child abuse but you have no interest in writing about them, Why the interest on here?

There's a MASSIVE difference between having an opinion and sharing it on a forum and writing something that will be subject to far greater legal scrutiny, would require a level of additional work over and above my own job which I'm not willing to commit to and isn't a subject that eithers fits on the sites I write for - nor one that my bosses particularly want us to cover.

There are plenty of posters on here (yourself included) who are prepared to write at length about it but are unwilling to write an article on it. There's no more an obligation on me to make anything I post on here into an article as any other poster.

25 minutes ago, The Dude said:

There's a MASSIVE difference between having an opinion and sharing it on a forum and writing something that will be subject to far greater legal scrutiny, would require a level of additional work over and above my own job which I'm not willing to commit to and isn't a subject that eithers fits on the sites I write for - nor one that my bosses particularly want us to cover.

There are plenty of posters on here (yourself included) who are prepared to write at length about it but are unwilling to write an article on it. There's no more an obligation on me to make anything I post on here into an article as any other poster.

Hmm why would your bosses pass up on one of the biggest scandals in world football, don't they like hits and more traffic to their websites etc ? 

Has any colleagues wrote articles on this subject that have been knocked back from being published ? 

3 minutes ago, peter huistra said:

Hmm why would you're bosses pass up on one of the biggest scandals in world football, don't they like hits and more traffic to their websites etc ? 

Has any colleagues wrote articles on this subject that have been knocked back from being published ? 

He works for an online publication. Nothing that they write is breaking news. They don't have the balls or inside resources to take such initiative. That makes them bloggers not journalists.

5 minutes ago, peter huistra said:

Hmm why would you're bosses pass up on one of the biggest scandals in world football, don't they like hits and more traffic to their websites etc ? 

Because we're a football site. They absolutely do like hits and more traffic to their website but its weighing up whether the juice is worth the squeeze.

Nobody has had anything knocked back on it as we all appreciate that we're a football site rather than one covering incredibly sensitive crime stories.

Just now, bluenoz said:

He works for an online publication. Nothing that they write is breaking news. They don't have the balls or inside resources to take such initiative. That makes them bloggers not journalists.

He wrote about breaking news the day, even before it's really been confirmed what's actually occurred, even went as far as to say what kind of punishment they would receive. 

Just now, The Dude said:

Because we're a football site. They absolutely do like hits and more traffic to their website but its weighing up whether the juice is worth the squeeze.

Nobody has had anything knocked back on it as we all appreciate that we're a football site rather than one covering incredibly sensitive crime stories.

So isn't Bassey and Patterson being fined a private matter between them and the club and not really an on field football matter ? 

1 minute ago, peter huistra said:

So isn't Bassey and Patterson being fined a private matter between them and the club and not really on feild football matter ? 

It's the biggest story in football right now.  And it could affect us on the field.

1 minute ago, peter huistra said:

So isn't Bassey and Patterson being fined a private matter between them and the club and not really on feild football matter ? 

No because it'll also affect on-field matters when they are inevitably hit with a ban by the SFA and (potentially) have to self-isolate.

Just now, The Dude said:

No because it'll also affect on-field matters when they are inevitably hit with a ban by the SFA and (potentially) have to self-isolate.

Fair enough. 

But I think when celtic eventually pay compensation to the victims that will have a serious effect on how they operate in the transfer market therefore having an effect on the field. 

Just to add I'd agree with the just writing purely about actual football just interested on how and why it's not wrote about more.

Just now, peter huistra said:

Fair enough. 

But I think when celtic eventually pay compensation to the victims that will have a serious effect on how they operate in the transfer market therefore having an effect on the field. 

Just to add I'd agree with the just writing purely about actual football just interested on how and why it's not wrote about more.

There's lots of legal stuff to consider with it and we're not in a position where we could really point fingers at anyone without having possible defamation action on our hands.

The size of platform we have would see it carry much more weight legally than a post on a forum etc  and tbh, the subject matter itself is something that you really need to tread carefully with.

While any future compo could seriously impact their financial spending on players, as a football news site, it's a bit of a crass angle to run with - especially as it would need to be presented in such a way that it was effectively an opinion piece.

It's just too big of a minefield legally (and morally imo) that without being specifically trained in covering those specific types of story - you run the risk of doing far more harm than good.

5 minutes ago, peter huistra said:

Fair enough. 

I reckon most journalists up here (and their editors) don't have the balls to to write about it.  Too scared to be seen as the bogey man.

Just now, Grundy said:

I reckon most journalists up here (and their editors) don't have the balls to to write about it.  Too scared to be seen as the bogey man.

True, when you see some of decisions being made in this country in parliament and in court it's no great surprise this has been swept under the rug for so long even in this day and age and would likely get no support. 

It's only in till recently anything might look like happening and even then it's being lumped in with csa scandal in Scottish football as a whole rather than them as a club standing up and admitting blame.

11 hours ago, left winger said:

When you said that we would take legal advice, it’s safe to assume that any factors may be legal. Would you like to share your thoughts on what these legal factors might be?

I'm no lawyer and I haven't been party to all the information  involving us.  It just seems logical that the club would seek legal advice before making any comment.

Archived