Scottish football clubs urged to apologise for historical child sex abuse

Bad Robot

1 minute ago, ScottBF2 said:

So they were told he was sacked, but not why.

Think it’s safe to say they would ask why if they didn’t know. We’re speculating. What’s not speculation is he was dismissed immediately, he never went on to further his career at another professional football team, he shouldn’t of been at our club and that needs an apology and possible compensation.

• Replies 817
  • Created
  • Last Reply
50 minutes ago, The Dude said:

May - and yes, that's a big reason why we should look to apologise ad compensate. Given Neely is dead there'd be no way they could get 'justice' legally and tbh, given the club's actions at the time in sacking him, it would be silly not to apologise for any harm, compensate and do what they can to help victims moving forward.

What could they have done differently at the time? They said they contacted the police and they dismissed him immediately. It seems no further cases have come forward, they would of believed at the time it’s a one off. The coaches didn’t take the allegations seriously enough and possibly looked at it as inappropriate behaviour rather than one done by a potential paedo and that was wrong.

11 minutes ago, Howsitgoing said:

Think it’s safe to say they would ask why if they didn’t know. We’re speculating. What’s not speculation is he was dismissed immediately, he never went on to further his career at another professional football team, he shouldn’t of been at our club and that needs an apology and possible compensation.

He was sacked in my opinion on the basis on what the victim had alleged, whether or not Neely admitted I don't know,          but to explain why he'd been sacked without a could case or conviction could have landed Rangers in bother.

Just now, LiverpoolBlue said:

He was sacked in my opinion on the basis on what the victim had alleged, whether or not Neely admitted I don't know,          but to explain why he'd been sacked without a could case or conviction could have landed Rangers in bother.

Rangers have claimed they informed the police, no one has denied this. 

1 hour ago, bluenoz said:

The SFA doing an investigation on child abuse is like marking your own homework. Scotland is a corrupt country in the heads of politics, law and now sport.

As far as I know, we fired Neely and reported the incident(s) to the victims father who was a policeman. Muddying Rangers in these dirty waters in this report is wrong but so typical.

If I need to educate myself on this horrific subject, I will read the brilliant work done by the boys at Spotlight and not from our forum apologist.

I have spent the last few hours reading the report and this forum, Christ I must be bored!  I agree with Bluenoz that any report involving the SFA must be treated with some scepticism, it took over a year to get it to a format that the SFA (Lawell) thought was acceptable so no influence there then.  Conspiracy theories aside, if you don’t subscribe to our broken country being corrupted by the sitting authorities and you haven’t yet seen Adam Tompkins contribution to the Whitehouse/Clark debate in the pretendy parliament, have a watch - he doesn’t miss!  It can, and does, happen.

Unlike our usual pedantist, I don’t believe any of our contributors seek to ‘cover up or whitewash’ our club’s involvement in this horrendous situation.  From what I’ve read, we all accept that the club should now reach out to anyone affected by Neely during his time with us and seek to make reparations.  However to claim that the club didn’t do enough at the time is, IMO, inaccurate. We reported it and dismissed Neely immediately, the matter was then for the police and Crown Office to deal with.  Rangers may have requested further information for all we know but ongoing investigations are rarely disclosed.  It is rare that hindsight doesn’t present an opportunity to reflect on what more could have been done.

We can, and will, be judged on what we now do and I expect the club will take the responsible action which will hopefully be an example to the separate entity.

7 minutes ago, Soldier blue said:

I have spent the last few hours reading the report and this forum, Christ I must be bored!  I agree with Bluenoz that any report involving the SFA must be treated with some scepticism, it took over a year to get it to a format that the SFA (Lawell) thought was acceptable so no influence there then.  Conspiracy theories aside, if you don’t subscribe to our broken country being corrupted by the sitting authorities and you haven’t yet seen Adam Tompkins contribution to the Whitehouse/Clark debate in the pretendy parliament, have a watch - he doesn’t miss!  It can, and does, happen.

Unlike our usual pedantist, I don’t believe any of our contributors seek to ‘cover up or whitewash’ our club’s involvement in this horrendous situation.  From what I’ve read, we all accept that the club should now reach out to anyone affected by Neely during his time with us and seek to make reparations.  However to claim that the club didn’t do enough at the time is, IMO, inaccurate. We reported it and dismissed Neely immediately, the matter was then for the police and Crown Office to deal with.  Rangers may have requested further information for all we know but ongoing investigations are rarely disclosed.  It is rare that hindsight doesn’t present an opportunity to reflect on what more could have been done.

We can, and will, be judged on what we now do and I expect the club will take the responsible action which will hopefully be an example to the separate entity.

Extremely well said and articulary put mate. Douglas Park has a duty to get on the forefront of this and look into compensation for what I believe to be one individual. (I'm not sure). But we did fire him and report him to the authorities like you said and that is the key.

As for the report itself, it is a whitewash and littered with whataboutery.

1 hour ago, The Dude said:

Not according to the public line from the club's official newspaper. He left to pursue business interests and was wished well.

You keep peddling that one line from the club.
The people who ran the Rangers News at the time had one cunt who was the editor,who was friendly with Neely and was always going to praise him
It's amazing how history can distort the truth that incidents were dealt with at the time.

btw....Hitlers mother said adolf was a good cunt.

2 hours ago, ScottBF2 said:

Right ok, I’m going to come out and say what I think here. I don’t think we did anywhere near enough as a club to resolve this at the time. If we had grounds to sack
Neely we had grounds to report it to the police and we should have immediately issued a public statement outlining it. We have a duty of care to the children of Scotland and by not ensuring the world knew why he was terminated from his post that allowed him, potentially, to continue offending away from the public eye.

Wishing a Paedophile well and thanking him for his service at the club could very easily have acted as a reference for him to continue preying on young boys up and down the country. That doesn’t set well with me, let alone the fact that two children (at least) say they were abused by him whilst working for us. We did not do enough.

At least we never re-hired the cunt. Seriously though, we need to be on top of this and on top of it now. Anything that happened at our club must be rectified now!  We must be leaders here and do the proper thing.  

There is a lot of focus on what we did or didn't do with the beast neeley. 

The focus and narrative needs to change to what did we or didn't do with the victims of the abuse. 

Yes reported the beast- Yes sacked him. 

Did we then investigate who was abused?  Contact the victim. 

I have not read the report so asking from lack of knowledge.  

It any case it doesn't matter, Rangers have to be at the forefront of this , yes no club/employer/ brand wants to have any association at all but morally we need to stand up, do what we can. 

If it costs money so be it, if it discovers move victims so be it. 

We are all on the side of the victims on this. 

Should have been all over it from the beginning. 

7 minutes ago, Prso's headband said:

McLaughlin peddling separate entity on national radio, quite astounding 

Seriously? Despite the report stating otherwise?

3.134. The Review is of the view that, if the relationship and history between the youth football club and the senior club was so shared, so close, and so inextricable then when sexual abuse of young players formed part of the history of one then it too formed part of the history of the other. A shared heritage is not confined to trophies, victories and celebration. It also extends to defeats, failures, and deficiencies. 

What is wrong with him?

12 minutes ago, scottyscott1963 said:

The people who ran the Rangers News at the time had one cunt who was the editor,who was friendly with Neely and was always going to praise him
It's amazing how history can distort the truth that incidents were dealt with at the time.

Always an excuse.

8 minutes ago, PromDeAnglais said:

Seriously? Despite the report stating otherwise?

3.134. The Review is of the view that, if the relationship and history between the youth football club and the senior club was so shared, so close, and so inextricable then when sexual abuse of young players formed part of the history of one then it too formed part of the history of the other. A shared heritage is not confined to trophies, victories and celebration. It also extends to defeats, failures, and deficiencies. 

What is wrong with him?

a protector and I wonder if callers to clyde tonight will be allowed to discuss the contents of the report 

We as a club need to take responsibility for the allegations made in this report. We sacked the individual in question, there are several witnesses. 

Somebody knew something. Forget about the scum and their separate entity nonsense, their day in court will come. We need to lead by example, apologise and compensate. 

55 minutes ago, Howsitgoing said:

What could they have done differently at the time? They said they contacted the police and they dismissed him immediately. It seems no further cases have come forward, they would of believed at the time it’s a one off. The coaches didn’t take the allegations seriously enough and possibly looked at it as inappropriate behaviour rather than one done by a potential paedo and that was wrong.

Not wished him well in an official club publication for a start.

1 minute ago, PromDeAnglais said:

We as a club need to take responsibility for the allegations made in this report. We sacked the individual in question, there are several witnesses. 

Somebody knew something. Forget about the scum and their separate entity nonsense, their day in court will come. We need to lead by example, apologise and compensate. 

we should have been doing our own internal report regardless of the sfa report 

33 minutes ago, scottyscott1963 said:

Would the Rangers News even have a clue why neely was leaving? Why if Rangers reported this to police was no action taken,you have to remember paedo rings have cunts in all walks of life and in a lot of influential positions,why was football specifically left out of Scottish government investigation into abuse?

The media in this country have a lot to answer for. Rangers should quite rightly apologise for any action that took place, celtic will deny any wrong doing at all. The Scottish mhedia will lap it up and Rangers will be painted out to be the worst abusers in the country. You can see it a mile off. That “club” is a fucking disgrace and it should be thrown out if the leagues entirely for their denial and refusal to accept what happened was wrong. 
Poor victims

Archived