Would Gerrard leave us if Klopp left Liverpool?

CR3

3 minutes ago, andyhrfc said:

Agree he is staunch as fuck.  The attraction of Rangers in the first place was the history, the fan base and the passion.  

Disagree with Liverpool not going for him.  For all Liverpool’s success they don’t generally operate a splash the cash policy apart from a couple of exceptions.  So SG has shown that he is capable of investing in key players at low cost, improving them massively and gelling them into a cohesive unit.  Just what Liverpool’s owners want. 

Some good points you make there mate, I also wonder if the death of Klopp’s mother and his supposed desire to manage the National team could all stack up as well. 

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Brackley Bluenose said:

Some good points you make there mate, I also wonder if the death of Klopp’s mother and his supposed desire to manage the National team could all stack up as well. 

Getting genuinely worried about this to be honest, with Klopp walking a real possibility.   Just hope Liverpool finish fourth, we get fans back next season and Stevie stays. 

Just now, andyhrfc said:

Getting genuinely worried about this to be honest, with Klopp walking a real possibility.   Just hope Liverpool finish fourth, we get fans back next season and Stevie stays. 

It actually wasn’t on even something i was considering because Klopp’s status has obviously been so high but shows you how quickly things can change in football! It’s certainly something we should be wary of 

Surely what Klopp has achieved at Liverpool their board will give him at least another season after this one to rebuild things so I don't see it happening any time soon tbh.

Gerrard will be here for a while yet and he wouldn't want to inherit Klopps team I think best case scenario would be if another couple managers get the Liverpool job first and fuck it then he takes over starting from scratch.  

It'd probably be a bad sign for him if they did. Klopp's supposedly fell out with the board because they haven't built on their success. Now if Gerrard's daft enough to accept that job after Klopp and any other manager worth their salt is telling them to bolt then he'd be making a huge mistake. Not that I think it'll come to that. He's here for 56 at least. 

If Klopp left at the end of this season Liverpool wouldn't even want Gerrard. He's not done enough yet. Even with the history he has a player with them, his record as a manager isn't good enough to get the job as manager of a team that has won the Champions League and EPL in the last couple of years. 

Gerrard is winning us this league against the odds. He took the job when apparently he wasn't ready. He may well think the Liverpool  job offer only comes round once, especially if he rejects it.

Imo he's happy here but if they came calling then we're looking for a new manager.

3 minutes ago, left winger said:

If Klopp left at the end of this season Liverpool wouldn't even want Gerrard. He's not done enough yet. Even with the history he has a player with them, his record as a manager isn't good enough to get the job as manager of a team that has won the Champions League and EPL in the last couple of years. 

They employed Hodgson and Rodgers (when he’d only done it at Swansea). If and when Klopp goes, he’ll be their number one choice all day long. 

Liverpool have a great tradition of continuity, and Klopp is now embedded there, so can see a time that Gerrard might  go back not as an assistant but as manager with Klopp moving up to a Director of Football type role. 

I expect him to be here for another few seasons though, we are still a work in progress with a great potential future. 

But yes I think his ultimate destiny will be to manage Liverpool, and I think all at Liverpool expect this too. 

1 minute ago, left winger said:

Spot on. I think Gerrard will be Liverpool manager one day but far too early for him. They’ll look at how Lampard failed at Chelsea you can even look at McCoist with us or Pirlo at Juventus who will be their first manager not to win the league with them in 10 years. Don’t get the obsession with trying to get a club legend as manager straight away.

Liverpool will go with someone like Allegri to be the next manager. But I can see Klopp being there for the next 2-3 years anyway.

9 minutes ago, Brackley Bluenose said:

They employed Hodgson and Rodgers (when he’d only done it at Swansea). If and when Klopp goes, he’ll be their number one choice all day long. 

Yip, but not after a CL and EPL. Different times. 

Tbf, if he doubles up with the EL he might be in there. But one title in Scotland won't do it. 

11 minutes ago, ElBufalo20 said:

Spot on. I think Gerrard will be Liverpool manager one day but far too early for him. They’ll look at how Lampard failed at Chelsea you can even look at McCoist with us or Pirlo at Juventus who will be their first manager not to win the league with them in 10 years. Don’t get the obsession with trying to get a club legend as manager straight away.

Liverpool will go with someone like Allegri to be the next manager. But I can see Klopp being there for the next 2-3 years anyway.

Lampard and Chelsea was a bit different because they had their transfer ban. That would undoubtedly have reduced the number of top managers wanting that job to zero. 

7 minutes ago, Brackley Bluenose said:

FSG didn’t appoint Hodgson. That was a Hicks and Gillett appointment.

Gerrard will be the sentimental choice, and if the call were to come he would go, but we’ve seen exactly how wrong a sentimental appointment can go - Lampard, Pirlo, Arteta, Kompany, Solskjaer - have all faced difficulties as managers at clubs that mean a lot to them.

Liverpool are a far bigger club then they were a decade ago. If Klopp left, which won’t happen for at least another 18 months, then I would expect somebody like Nagelsman, Flick, maybe even Pochettino to be ahead of him in the pecking order for the job at the moment.

We are a huge club, but it’s a massive massive risk taking a manager from the SPFL and putting them in the managers seat at one of the biggest clubs in the world at the moment without any experience in a “top five” league first.

42 minutes ago, left winger said:

Didn't stop Chelsea taking Lampard as manager. 

9 minutes ago, Blue Avenger said:

If they came for him and he'd go and you couldn't hold it against him tbh. 

Let's just hope they don't for a couple of more years. 

Depends on the circumstances. Not that it would happen but for example, say if Klopp resigned tonight, they approached Gerrard and he left this week then I think we would have a case of him leaving a job unfinished and I'd be pretty pissed off.

If it was agreed during the week but he stayed until the end of the season and Liverpool got an interim in the meantime then of course no one would begrudge that.

1 hour ago, SeparateEntityMyArse said:

You suggested him taking us into the CL could play a big part in a decision to stay here.

Liverpool are in a CL spot at present and the OP is asking if we think he'd leave for Liverpool. 

As it stands, he could get his boyhood club AND the CL.

Maybe because he has done a project here and built his own squad and implemented his own style and would like to test that in the champions league. Being the career minded pro he is i'd like to think that would be a challenge he would relish.

It's all hypothetical anyway.

Archived