***** The Official Royal Antwerp v Rangers Match Thread *****

G.E.C.

4 hours ago, Gazzanova11 said:

I love that he addresses the press and our players by their first name Don’t know if anyone else has noticed this  but the man oozes class none of the training ground nickname shite. 

Jacko, Buff, Tav, Davo, Scotty  get used by him all the time mate.

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What a game that was btw. We needed a kick up the arse and we certainly got it last night, spirit was there for all to see. Need to go out and build on it on Sunday and put the league to bed as soon as possible.

Obviously need to get past the next leg but I don’t think any team will fancy us in the next round. The pressing game, short passing/swift movement and counter works perfectly in Europe and I would bet on us scoring against any team right now. 

Davis, McGregor, Kent and Morelos were outstanding last night. Kamara as well showing how comfortable he is in possession in tight places. Gutted for Tav after such an excellent season, fingers crossed it’s not as bad as it looked. Balogoun done well when he came on and will be something to work on in training for future games. Either that or Jack is decent at RB though would be better utilised in midfield.

We weren't great last night but Antwerp a clearly a well drilled solid wee outfit. Just showed again hoe suited we are to Europe. A coupe of signings away from being some team at that stage. 

Canny believe Roofes injured again and mad Tav went off after the carry on with Patterson. Big Balogun was immense but for a 32 year old no playing at Wigan, to slot in at RB in European knockout fitba is no mean feat. 

12 hours ago, Bad Robot said:

I’ll call it just now that we get Villarreal in the next round 

89F4C71D-D802-4CCA-99D4-FDDA12843E8A.jpeg

11 hours ago, RS4_wul said:

Still wid.

11 hours ago, Bad Robot said:

She’d play with your crystal balls all night 😂

Maybe it’s because I’m now getting on a bit or because because of lockdown,  but I would too 😂

On 17/02/2021 at 15:26, LH85 said:

I am an Antwerp supporter for over 29 years and happen to have lived in Scotland for over 2 years so do have some idea about both leagues.

For me Rangers is light favorites and this is the general feeling among Antwerp fans, but everyone thinks it can easily go both ways as well.

To give a bit of an idea who you are up against, Antwerp is the oldest team in Belgium established in 1880, a very traditional club. It had alot of financial difficulties in recent history and relegated to the 2nd league for 13 years. Now having a wealthy owner with a big fanbase and located in one of the biggest cities in Belgium they are back at he top of Belgian football and there to stay.

This season Antwerp has a better team than Standard and very unlucky not to win away there this weekend. At the moment I would say after Bruges who is miles away we are the 2nd best team in Belgium at the moment, with Genk being close.

Many Rangers fans see us as an attacking team with an open defence but this changed in 2021 after the previous coach has left to China for money. Our current coach plays more out of the organisation and as a result we score less/concede less. In the first games under the new coach it wasn’t good at all however there is a system now and the team is getting better every week creating more chances. We also had a good run in the league recently and get more points on average vs the previous coach.

We are missing a few key players, our Captain Haroun and our main striker Mbokani, both considered unmissable in this team for different reasons. Our only player who can play instead of Mbokani is Lamkel Ze who has been in magnificent form since he returned from the reserve squad after issues with the previous coach, but he is suspended for the first leg, we only have one other striker “Avenatti” on loan from Standard since January who funny enough faced Rangers in the group stages as well. He hasn’t performed well lately and still to be seen if be cause any treat against Rangers...

I expect a closed game due to missing firepower up front on our side for the first leg. I expect the coach to rely on Lamkel Ze pace on the counter attack in the return game at Ibrox

The Belgian league is overall a bit stronger as it has several decent teams with Bruges, Anderlecht, Standard, Genk, Gent and Antwerp, but Rangers probably had the slight edge I would say over Antwerp.

Both Hagi and Roofe played in Belgium last season. Hagi at Genk but hardly made the first 11 and Roofe at Anderlecht but didn’t really convince their either. This is also because the belgian league  is considered more tactical and defensive in comparison with other leagues like The Netherlands. Eg. The topscorer in NL came to Genk this season and is hardly scoring goals. It doesn’t mean the Belgian league is better than the Dutch but just very different to play against.

I couldn’t help noting some compared Antwerp to Willem ll but they aren’t at all similar, Willem ll has a smaller budget and also at the bottom in the Dutch league, defending in NL is generally weak and more naive as more focus on attack. Although some might have seen games under our previous coach where we did indeed defend naive at times but this unlike Antwerp today.

Wish you all good luck tomorrow and that the may win!

Hello? Hello?

13 minutes ago, BlueThunder said:

Anyone notice the Rangers singing last night? It is very noticeable at the 72nd minute. Is this something piped intro he stadium or did we have fans singing outside?

Don’t know but was sure I seen a flag behind the goal that looked like one of ours

14 hours ago, BlueThunder said:

Anyone notice the Rangers singing last night? It is very noticeable at the 72nd minute. Is this something piped intro he stadium or did we have fans singing outside?

Could be the neighbours ?

There were a lot of Rangers supporting neighbours who were very happy on Thursday. 

The quiet ones would probably be cellic fans. 

11 hours ago, TamCoopz said:

Scum

Hahahaha aww look Rocky the internet champion is still all hurt from his tanking! You are one fanny. Btw..you are well known for one as well ;) can't believe you are still wanting to go after the dick you made of yourself. Keep them coming. Hey, you can always get back up from they other rockets if you are struggle with brains, which I'm certain will be the case. Imagine coming into a match thread to make a further cunt of yourself, and you say I'm scum, not surprised really, scum is what scum does! 

1 hour ago, CoGerfficiency said:

Hahahaha aww look Rocky the internet champion is still all hurt from his tanking! You are one fanny. Btw..you are well known for one as well ;) can't believe you are still wanting to go after the dick you made of yourself. Keep them coming. Hey, you can always get back up from they other rockets if you are struggle with brains, which I'm certain will be the case. Imagine coming into a match thread to make a further cunt of yourself, and you say I'm scum, not surprised really, scum is what scum does! 

Get intae him mate 

Archived