Who was the first rangers superstar?

stevemac

Just now, tannerall said:

"The Wee Blue Devil"  Alan Morton.

7a1416_9277cb9b0dda49ec8750a59fdb24fcee~

Just read his wiki, Struths first signing and looks like he had an amazing Gers career.

On his wiki it said this Morton's dress was as precise as his play.[4] He was a familiar figure strolling down Paisley Road West towards training at Ibrox sporting a bowler hat and umbrella (as befitted a professional gentleman of the time), which caused locals to dub him "The Wee Society Man.

George Young was a legend in British football after the war. 

I think Willie Henderson would have been the first to get reaction from foreign teams as a top class star player,  especially at international level.

Baxter was arguably the first "media" superstar", but I would probably give that to Morton too. 

Gazza was certainly the biggest media superstar,, though some might consider McCoist as well.

3 hours ago, tannerall said:

George Young was a legend in British football after the war. 

I think Willie Henderson would have been the first to get reaction from foreign teams as a top class star player,  especially at international level.

Baxter was arguably the first "media" superstar", but I would probably give that to Morton too. 

Gazza was certainly the biggest media superstar,, though some might consider McCoist as well.

I don't think some of the younger bears realise how big a deal it was that we'd signed Gascoigne, I can remember my dad absolutely buzzing about it and I think Gazza was the first player I can remember us signing that I knew about and was really excited about.

The Gazzas Coming Home (i think that's the name but I might be thinking of another) documentary is great. The way his agents mention teams like Chelsea etc wanting him then they mention Rangers and he thinks they're talking about QPR and then they make it clear its us they're talking you can see his face change and he says "Glasgow Rangers speaks for itself" or something like that. And the huge crowd outside Ibrox. I was just a wean but I can remember the buzz surrounding his signing, was really a special time.

It was almost the same feeling when we got Gerrard, I was doubtful when people said we were signing him,  but the day he was about to be unveiled I knew it was a special moment,  I picked by daughter up from school and flew up the motorway to Ibrox and we were on the pitch when Gerrard first came out,  I remember telling my daughter that she'll tell hopefully tell her kids about this day.

But i still think Gazza signing takes the cake 

Gazza was massive. He was absolute box office and basically brought Italian football to Britain when he signed for Lazio. 

there are legends and there are phenomenal players.... Butcher (captain of England), Gary Stevens, Trevor Steven etc but a combination of footballs place in the public eye and lack of Sky, internet, champions league etc means that Gazza was in my opinion the first (and arguably only) global superstar to play for us. 

Edit: last sentence is wrong. Gattuso and Gio were probably also global superstars. 

5 hours ago, McEwan's Lager said:

Neilly Gibson is probably the answer.

Was considered by some to be the greatest footballer ever in the early professional era prior to WW1. Steve Bloomer, who at the time was considered England's greatest ever player, said he was the best he had ever watched.

Was going to say this, although I do wonder if Steve Bloomer had ever watched anybody outside of the home nations. 

Very good question from OP.

My first thought was how to describe "superstar" in yesteryear language.

In my day, it would have been Young, Shearer or Baxter, to name but 3.

History would point you to Vallance as the first " superstar", although I doubt he would recognize the status.

Archived