Dave King...celtic winning 30 Titles in a Row Prompted my Involvement

doc holliday

DAVE King has revealed that his fear of Scotland becoming a one club country and celtic winning 30 TITLES in a row prompted him to get involved in a bid to oust the old Rangers regime.

King became the major shareholder in the Ibrox club when he bought a 15 per cent stake back in January 2015 – and he seized control at his boyhood heroes along with John Gilligan and Paul Murray at an EGM just two months later.

The Glasgow-born South, Africa-based financier, who stood down as chairman after five years last March, is delighted that Steven Gerrard’s side are set to win the Premiership in the coming weeks.

The 65-year-old has agreed to sell his 20 per cent stake to supporters group Club 1872 over the next three years – which will see them become the largest shareholder in Rangers if the "Never Again" initiative is successful.

King spoke to The Gallant Few podcast today about his desire for fans to gain a degree of control at Ibrox and ensure the existence of the Govan giants is never threatened again in the future by the mismanagement of its custodians.

He recalled how his concern that Rangers could go out of business and celtic, whose attempt to make football history by winning a tenth consecutive title this season is poised to end in failure, would become the dominant force in the Scottish game for decades convinced him to get involved back in 2014.  

“I was really watching the situation from afar,” he said. “The club was in very dire circumstances. We were struggling at Championship level, never mind challenging for the Premiership title. We were actually struggling to get out of the Championship.  

“Mike Ashley and the Easdale (Greenock businessmen James and Sandy) axis had this sort of vice-like grip on the club and its finances to the extent that it was absolutely clear if there wasn’t some kind of intervention Rangers would never be a competing club in Scotland again.

“I viewed it as being extremely dire – to the point that Scotland would become a one team country. celtic could have lifted 20 titles in a row, 30 titles in a row, never mind 10. There was just no prospect of any other club challenging them because they didn’t have the resources.

“Rangers was the only club because of their inherent level of support, but the club was being strangled because of the Ashleys and the Easdales, for personal interest."

King continued: “I was watching this and I was continually surprised or bemused by the inability of the various consortiums that were put together within Scotland, by supporters groups. They were well-intended in terms of taking control of the club, but they lacked the financial muscle needed.

“The key was trying to get a backer in there who had some money behind him. It really just got the point where the situation was so desperate I thought: ‘Our club could actually be gone’.  It got to a point where I thought: ‘No, I really have to do something about this’.”

Gallant Few podcast/The Herald....Matthew Lindsay

22 minutes ago, tm91 said:

Make football history :lol: They weren't even the only team to be going for ten domestic league wins in a row this season.

And somehow I think Juventus going for 10 Scudettos might have been a tad more respected. 😂😂

Edit: In fact the record is 14! 

I would only credit them with 3.7 titles, the rest are contaminated.

8 minutes ago, BillyG91 said:

will never forget what king done for our club. wasn’t sure of him at first but he was the real deal and the person we needed. 

Honestly think he deserves some kind of recognition at Ibrox whether it be a statue or painting. 

The greatest thing he ever did was getting Steve Gerrard to Ibrox. 

Say what you want about King, I was always sceptical and while his leadership wasn’t perfect we are where we are today because of him 

His importance in getting the club back to where we belong shouldn’t be under played. He stepped up when no one else would/could 

58 minutes ago, GA1972 said:

Say what you want about King, I was always sceptical and while his leadership wasn’t perfect we are where we are today because of him 

His importance in getting the club back to where we belong shouldn’t be under played. He stepped up when no one else would/could 

Took on all the thieving bastards head on,and chased them one at a time,and looks like the only cunt who had the balls to face them.

2 hours ago, BillyG91 said:

will never forget what king done for our club. wasn’t sure of him at first but he was the real deal and the person we needed. 

Honestly think he deserves some kind of recognition at Ibrox whether it be a statue or painting. 

The biggest problem with DK was when he arrived the fan base wanted immediate results .That was never possible unless 100m was thrown straight into the transfer budget and that was never going to work as part of a long term plan ,Not that it was likely that that level would have ever been possible .

Maybe success is a year too late but on the other hand we have another years experience to take into the CL qualifiers next season and another years experience to push on for the next in hopefully a run of titles .

3 hours ago, BillyG91 said:

Should have a statue above the main stand IMO, one eye on the Broomloan and one eye on the Copland.

When i watched the AGM online a wee while ago, and saw him vexed to the point of tears, that he was standing down as chairman  i had to be honest a lump in my throat.

He may not have always got things bang on, but in my opinion he cared deeply.

Wonder if a crowd raising thingimy bob could be boxed off in order for fans to donate some dosh to get something knocked up

in recognition of what Dave done?

10 hours ago, BillyG91 said:

Guys a bit mental and made plenty mistakes but I dread to think where we would be without him.

54 minutes ago, qwerty said:

When i watched the AGM online a wee while ago, and saw him vexed to the point of tears, that he was standing down as chairman  i had to be honest a lump in my throat.

He may not have always got things bang on, but in my opinion he cared deeply.

Wonder if a crowd raising thingimy bob could be boxed off in order for fans to donate some dosh to get something knocked up

in recognition of what Dave done?

All of us normal folk wondered why a Rangers Man with money would not step up and save us from the leaches. We were well in the shit. He was the only one, and I am truly glad he did. He didn't have to do it, but he did what I would expect a fan with money would do. Thank you Mr King.

He also deserves the Nostradamus Visionary of the Century award for the his cards statement.

"We appoint a manager who can win games, with more resources, and we take one league title way from Celtic. We only need one league title, we don’t need two or three. We need one. Once we take one away, it’s like a pack of cards."

14 minutes ago, tannerall said:

He also deserves the Nostradamus Visionary of the Century award for the his cards statement.

"We appoint a manager who can win games, with more resources, and we take one league title way from Celtic. We only need one league title, we don’t need two or three. We need one. Once we take one away, it’s like a pack of cards."

If he’s making a Nostradamus type prediction I would like to hear this...

“The blood of the just will be lacking in London road

Burnt up the fire of 21 

The rabid Fenian will be toppled from its high place 

Many of the same sect will be killed “

No nonsense or grand standing from Dave King. 
when all around we had cunts like Billionaire McColl who said he was a Rangers man sniffing about.
If i had a fraction of his money when we were going through shite,i would've been kicking doors in asking "how much"?  
Enjoy your 1872 wine Dave,you earned it.

On 17/02/2021 at 06:32, doc holliday said:

The 65-year-old has agreed to sell his 20 per cent stake to supporters group Club 1872 over the next three years – which will see them become the largest shareholder in Rangers if the "Never Again" initiative is successful.

That’s brilliant.

I doubt the tarriers would've managed to get to a 20 in a row without his involvement due to our natural status as the biggest club in the country but he certainly got us back on track far quicker.

Always be indebted to him and the others that saved us. 

We move on though and onwards to greater things and hopefully a boardroom with far greater leadership than we have currently.

I'd prefer this sort of chat once it's confirmed. All this self congratulations in advance gives me the fear.

No denying what he's done for the club, but wait a month and there should be pics of Stevie G holding the trophy to go with these interviews!

9 hours ago, tannerall said:

"We appoint a manager who can win games, with more resources, and we take one league title way from celtic. We only need one league title, we don’t need two or three. We need one. Once we take one away, it’s like a pack of cards."

His prediction was about what happens to them after we win a league title though. We’ve yet to see if they’ll crumble like a pack of cards or not

Archived