Differences between Scottish and European matches

Had to take the dog for a decent walk tonight to calm down after that :-)

Antwerp had 8 first team players out through injury or suspension. They lost at least another three tonight. We changed five players, suspended another 3 of the 1st team squad (justifiably) and found out late on that 2 of our very best (Kent and Jack) were on the bench with small niggles. Fuck knows how many will be out injured v Dundee Utd at the weekend? We picked up four yellow cards. They got one and a red. We lost our captain. They lost their keeper. VAR benefited both sides at different times. 23 shots in total, 12 on target, 3 penalties, 7 goals, woodwork bashed a few times. Over 14 mins played of injury time - and not a single fan to see it!

We have been so used to playing against teams with their 8-1-1 formations week in / week out that tonight was such a huge welcome breath of fresh air. Each time Antwerp lost a goal - they were back up our end with the ball a few seconds later. Their players looked dead in the last 10 mins. Aribo ran straight past a defender who didn't even try to get near him. This is what real football and real effort are. There were some massive tackles tonight from both sides. No shirking. The centre of the pitch got well used, whereby we wear out the wings week after week after week in Scotland. This was a bit like a Leeds v Millwall game from the 70's - not just from the tackles, but the determination and effort that both teams put in until they were breathing fire out of their arses and could do no more.

Ref started quietly, but quickly went mental and was flashing cards as swiftly as a tim would flash his cock in a swing park. This is one of these games where the time (all 105 mins) flew by. Going to have to watch it again, and maybe again. Would I have been so chipper if we had drawn - probably, it was a great game. If we had lost - I'd be howling at the moon. I hope every other player in Scotland watched that tonight and realised this is how football should be played, and that is what fans want to see. You lose a goal? Fuck it - go and get another one!

Why was Kamara subbed? Fuck knows.

Why was Alfredo MoTM - 2 assists and no goals when we score 4. Who could have written that script a year ago?

I would sell my house, it's contents and all of the wife's scants to be inside Ibrox for the return game next week. Huge selection challenges for our manager. We have 4 on yellow cards, 3 internally suspended, fuck knows how many injured after tonight.

Play Defoe and the kids on Sunday and rest as many as possible. A wanky 0-0 draw would be fine. If ever there was a game we didn't need to win this season, Dundee Utd will be it.

Am away to lie down in a dark room.

God Save The Queen.

A breath of fresh air.  Football played as it is meant to be, how everyone of us wanted to play as kids.  Some good finishing and some woeful defending from both teams.  Ref and VAR scrutinized but it all leveled out.  Best team takes a deserved lead back to Ibrox.

11 hours ago, East Enclosure Row N said:

Play Defoe and the kids on Sunday and rest as many as possible. A wanky 0-0 draw would be fine. If ever there was a game we didn't need to win this season, Dundee Utd will be it.

God Save The Queen.

It is extremely frustrating RE Bassey, Zungu and Patterson because Dundee Utd would have been the ideal game to bring them in - Yes, they don't have a lot of game experience under their belts for us, but they have some because it will be a proper headache for the gaffer now for sunday with next thursday in mind. Risking further injuries and/or suspensions to key players.

11 hours ago, Big Al II said:

Hamilton attacked us and were the better team, but yes generally teams tend to sit in, but that’s not the only issue with our league form.

We’re just very nervous in the league, understandably, atm imo

Mate we've not lost in 29 league games.

Our league form is absolutely fine 

14 minutes ago, RfcSevco said:

Mate we've not lost in 29 league games.

Our league form is absolutely fine 

Our results are absolutely fine, our form could be better. 

At the moment we’re leaving ourselves open to late goals as happened with Hamilton.

We’ve not controlled recent games the way we did earlier in the season. The tempo to win the ball back has dropped. That’s all I mean

Just now, Big Al II said:

Our results are absolutely fine, our form could be better. 

At the moment we’re leaving ourselves open to late goals as happened with Hamilton.

We’ve not controlled recent games the way we did earlier in the season. That’s all I mean

We totally controlled the game v killie.

Hamilton and St Johnstone have been 2 I've not been happy with.

But Aberdeen, county and hibs were absolutely fine as well

1 minute ago, RfcSevco said:

We totally controlled the game v killie.

Hamilton and St Johnstone have been 2 I've not been happy with.

But Aberdeen, county and hibs were absolutely fine as well

👍 thought Hibs at Ibrox was dodgy as well. Invited them back into the game.

I’m just shitting it mate.

6 minutes ago, Big Al II said:

👍 thought Hibs at Ibrox was dodgy as well. Invited them back into the game.

I’m just shitting it mate.

Aye was meaning hibs away mate.

Hibs at ibrox we weren't at our best.

Think we all are with just how close it is :lol:

11 hours ago, East Enclosure Row N said:

Antwerp had 8 first team players out through injury or suspension. They lost at least another three tonight. We changed five players, suspended another 3 of the 1st team squad (justifiably) and found out late on that 2 of our very best (Kent and Jack) were on the bench with small niggles. Fuck knows how many will be out injured v Dundee Utd at the weekend? We picked up four yellow cards. They got one and a red. We lost our captain. They lost their keeper. VAR benefited both sides at different times. 23 shots in total, 12 on target, 3 penalties, 7 goals, woodwork bashed a few times. Over 14 mins played of injury time - and not a single fan to see it!

We have been so used to playing against teams with their 8-1-1 formations week in / week out that tonight was such a huge welcome breath of fresh air. Each time Antwerp lost a goal - they were back up our end with the ball a few seconds later. Their players looked dead in the last 10 mins. Aribo ran straight past a defender who didn't even try to get near him. This is what real football and real effort are. There were some massive tackles tonight from both sides. No shirking. The centre of the pitch got well used, whereby we wear out the wings week after week after week in Scotland. This was a bit like a Leeds v Millwall game from the 70's - not just from the tackles, but the determination and effort that both teams put in until they were breathing fire out of their arses and could do no more.

Ref started quietly, but quickly went mental and was flashing cards as swiftly as a tim would flash his cock in a swing park. This is one of these games where the time (all 105 mins) flew by. Going to have to watch it again, and maybe again. Would I have been so chipper if we had drawn - probably, it was a great game. If we had lost - I'd be howling at the moon. I hope every other player in Scotland watched that tonight and realised this is how football should be played, and that is what fans want to see. You lose a goal? Fuck it - go and get another one!

Why was Alfredo MoTM - 2 assists and no goals when we score 4. Who could have written that script a year ago?

I would sell my house, it's contents and all of the wife's scants to be inside Ibrox for the return game next week. Huge selection challenges for our manager. We have 4 on yellow cards, 3 internally suspended, fuck knows how many injured after tonight.

God Save The Queen.

A good post but we need to play the strongest team on Sunday. This is the business end and no time for messing about which has cost us already recently.

12 hours ago, East Enclosure Row N said:

God Save The Queen.

Much are you punting the wife's scants for? 

Might be interested.

Good post !

McLaughlin

Patterson Goldson Balogun Bassey

Jack Zungu Kamara

Hagi Roofe Wright

That would have been my starting lineup for Sunday, all things being equal. The actions of these morons just means that certain teammates won’t get the rest they deserve.

Probably be something like this instead:

McLaughlin

Balogun Goldson Helander Barisic

Jack Davis Kamara

Hagi Morelos Wright/Kent

43 minutes ago, Colin Traive said:

McLaughlin

Patterson Goldson Balogun Bassey

Jack Zungu Kamara

Hagi Roofe Wright

That would have been my starting lineup for Sunday, all things being equal. The actions of these morons just means that certain teammates won’t get the rest they deserve.

Probably be something like this instead:

McLaughlin

Balogun Goldson Helander Barisic

Jack Davis Kamara

Hagi Morelos Wright/Kent

Colin are you on a bender from last night with your first selection 🤣 plus I can’t see big Jon getting in ad SG needs to play the strongest team we have especially if everyone is available and not suffering from anymore knocks (obv Tav and Roofe are out)

The league still needs to be won on the park and you play your strongest team and if you get a comfortable lead  you make subs or if you’re sitting on a tight lead and things are stale or the opposition are on the front foot then subs also come on at that point to freshen up.

1 hour ago, Bad Robot said:

Colin are you on a bender from last night with your first selection 🤣 plus I can’t see big Jon getting in ad SG needs to play the strongest team we have especially if everyone is available and not suffering from anymore knocks (obv Tav and Roofe are out)

The league still needs to be won on the park and you play your strongest team and if you get a comfortable lead  you make subs or if you’re sitting on a tight lead and things are stale or the opposition are on the front foot then subs also come on at that point to freshen up.

Assuming everyone was available, I’d have rested a few given the critical next couple of weeks and especially with a few niggles around. Don’t see what’s strange about resting both hard working FBs, one of our CBs and two guys closer to 40 than 30.

We went against Antwerp with Jack and Kent on the bench and their impact was obvious, a repeat performance in Jack’s case.

Academic now anyway but that team should/would have beaten Dundee United.

13 minutes ago, Colin Traive said:

Assuming everyone was available, I’d have rested a few given the critical next couple of weeks and especially with a few niggles around. Don’t see what’s strange about resting both hard working FBs, one of our CBs and two guys closer to 40 than 30.

We went against Antwerp with Jack and Kent on the bench and their impact was obvious, a repeat performance in Jack’s case.

Academic now anyway but that team should/would have beaten Dundee United.

It is academic and the sooner the 12 points are in the bag then the main starts get their rest. The league could be in their be won in the next two games if we win and they lose their next two so full strength has to be the priority. Our second string should have beat St Mirren and Hamilton but it back fired big time.

SG said Jack and Kent had knocks and that’s why they never started.

Archived