Automatic CL qualification

plymouthranger

Complicated but I think the Ukranians can catch up with the Scottish coefficient, and that would mean us , Shaktar and Dynamo Kiev can still affect it.

(Kiev drew 1-1 last night with another Belgium team Brugge, and Shaktat won 2-0 away at Macabi Tel Aviv)

Three things need to happen for us to get the automatic CL spot in 2022:

1. We need to keep 11th place in the rankings, to do this we will need to match the points gained by the Ukrainians in this round and beyond

2. We need the winner of the CL this year to have already qualified via their league, only then will the automatic place drop to the 11th ranking country

3. We need to win the league next season

2 minutes ago, Parma99 said:

1. We need to keep 11th place in the rankings, to do this we will need to match the points gained by the Ukrainians in this round and beyond

2. We need the winner of the CL this year to have already qualified via their league, only then will the automatic place drop to the 11th ranking country

Wouldn’t it be that we need the winner of next season’s UCL to also finish in a qualification spot domestically? Then their league spot drops to the 11th nation.

I love how there’s now this narrative of how Scotland get their UCL place if Rangers can do enough. As though we’d be letting people down if we didn’t. 

It would be wrapped up if them across the City weren’t fucking horrendous and didn’t soil themselves on an international stage.

1 minute ago, left winger said:

Are Austria too far in front to catch this season - both their teams lost last night?

We’d need to beat Antwerp and then win last 16 tie, but not impossible.

We’re 3.2 behind, but we gain 0.5 with every match we win, and there’s a bonus of something like 1.2 if we reach the next round. 

4 minutes ago, left winger said:

Are Austria too far in front to catch this season - both their teams lost last night?

Saw that too, but the papers are not mentioning Austria having a chance so I'm assuming the newspapers have got their facts right................................................

Edit: Just read @Creampuff post, never, ever assume newspapers get their facts right. :lol:

12 minutes ago, Parma99 said:

I'll take option number 3 

30 minutes ago, plymouthranger said:

Am I right in thinking that as long as we don’t lose the 2nd leg, that’s us automatically in the CL group stages next season? 

The bbc article is wrong. It will be for season 22-23. 21-22 is 2 teams based on Scotlands ranking at the end of last season. Always a 1 year lag. 

14 minutes ago, Parma99 said:

Spot on. Regarding 2 I think there has only been something like 1 year in the past 20 that this has not been the case. Perhaps not an exact statement but certainly something like that. 

17 minutes ago, Creampuff said:

We’d need to beat Antwerp and then win last 16 tie, but not impossible.

We’re 3.2 behind, but we gain 0.5 with every match we win, and there’s a bonus of something like 1.2 if we reach the next round. 

I think the bonuses are only relevant for the club coefficient and do not apply to the Scotland one, which is why we cant catch Austria unless we get to final with all wins on the way. We would need 7 wins so next week, 2 last 16, 2 quarters and 2 semis. 

45 minutes ago, Rangers_no1 said:

The bonus points do apply to the country coefficient.

However for the EL you only get 1 bonus point for making the QFs, 1 for SF and 1 for the final. Those are divided by 4 so effectively Scotland only gain 0.250 bonus points should we make the QFs.

We need 6 more wins assuming both Austrian sides lose their 2nd leg to overtake them.

Not happening this year. Ukraine is who we need to concentrate on. Shakhtar are through, hopefully Kyiv go out next week and Shakhtar draw one of the big guns in the last 16.

Would be interesting if we drew Shakhtar in the last 16 (assuming we get there). All or nothing tie regarding the 11th spot for our respective countries. 

2 hours ago, scottyc06 said:

Not quite they have 2 teams left 

I am expecting Kiev to go out. They got a 1-1 at home to Brugge so could probably still go either way. If Kiev go through Scotlands chances of retaining 11th place is very doubtful. 

You are correct I should had made it clear that was my assumption. 

Archived