American “Wonderkid” Set to Sign

Broxi

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, psb07158 said:

Very impressive that he made his professional debut aged 14, despite it being in the 'USL' and not MLS. 

Am I right in saying this is the 2nd player we've signed from them as a result of this partnership we setup? If even one player turns out to be a good signing, it makes the whole thing worthwhile. 

He has already been a trialist at the club and played well at the Alkass Cup.

4 hours ago, The Dude said:

Aye, we signed Aaron Cervantes (keeper) too. Seen Jacobs in one or two games and looks pretty decent - but barely enough of a sample to get a real idea on.

I seen that at the time - do you think him and this lad are being signed as potential first teamers or simply for the partnership/exposure in a new market (like that Chinese lad man u signed years ago)

10 minutes ago, stevemac said:

I seen that at the time - do you think him and this lad are being signed as potential first teamers or simply for the partnership/exposure in a new market (like that Chinese lad man u signed years ago)

Bit of both but given where we are, football comes first just now. Weve not got a strong enough brand to be doing the 'homegrown' thing with an American yet. If we were trying to sell jerseys, we'd be looking at some of the older guys who have a name. FWIW, Cervantes is quite highly thought of by some of the American guys I know who follow the national teams closely.

I always have a soft spot for Americans and Australians joining Rangers. They either turn out really good and if they don't have the quality they're typically hard workers.

It's hard to tell how it will work out with such a young kid but the US seem to have a decent generation coming through after the 2018 debacle. Here's hoping this boy is one of them!

2 hours ago, SIRB_72 said:

I always have a soft spot for Americans and Australians joining Rangers. They either turn out really good and if they don't have the quality they're typically hard workers.

It's hard to tell how it will work out with such a young kid but the US seem to have a decent generation coming through after the 2018 debacle. Here's hoping this boy is one of them!

I had a hard spot for Polsters wife. 😉

On 22/02/2021 at 16:11, The Dude said:

Comfortably.

is Robert any good? you'd have thought being in the academy of a top french team that he would've been, and airdrie was a bizarre as fuck move but maybe a stepping stone to an old firm club or aberdeen or something. 

That said, Seb Faure was in Lyon's youth & B team for ages...

by the way... does anyone have that video of orange county SC and us? im sure it got uploaded on one of the threads on here a few month ago but it got pulled before i got a chance to watch it. Im not sure if it was actually this path to glory video or not (as that seems to be a 4 parter documentary - the video i recall was around 30-40mins long so maybe it was just the first episode) Been meaning to ask about it for a while and this thread has just dug up my memory of it. I'm sure their keeper we signed, Cervantes or something, featured in it if that helps.

8 minutes ago, stevemac said:

is Robert any good? you'd have thought being in the academy of a top french team that he would've been, and airdrie was a bizarre as fuck move but maybe a stepping stone to an old firm club or aberdeen or something. 

That said, Seb Faure was in Lyon's youth & B team for ages...

I made the point of doing a couple of Airdrie's games earlier this season when we were mentioned and was curious to see what he had about him. Hes a really tidy player and tbh, he's well above the level he's at by and large but he's no better than any number of boys in the Academy at Ibrox and he struck me as being pretty lazy at times.

Airdrie was very much a shop window for a move elsewhere. There's something deliberate in picking a level he KNOWS he can really impress at. Can tell he's had a good football education but if he was to end up at a Premiership team like Motherwell or Hibs, he'd be out his depth.

Archived