Patience with Managers

McEwan's Lager

Bronzy bumped BiB’s thread before and it got me thinking about low long someone is expected to survive at Rangers without winning anything and whether Gerrard’s eventual success means you will be more patient with him or future managers?

For example if we were to go another two seasons in a row after securing 55 without winning anything would you give him a third to pick up his second title? And do you give a new manager three seasons to win a trophy in the future? Or do you think because of the state of the club when he came in Gerrard is a one off in this regard?

I noticed on the Robbie Fowler podcast (I think) Gerrard said one of the biggest assurances he sought before taking the job was that he would get time to turn the side around. I wonder what the board gave him in terms of time frames?

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think, as you say, it would depend on what sort of state we were in when the manager took over. If they were in a strong position, took us backwards and went 0/6 for trophies, I would want rid, but if we were rebuilding and there were clear improvements, I think it would be madness to just interrupt the process and throw a new unknown into things.

It’s actually mental how he has turned it round. If he’d have been sacked before the lockdown last year when we went through that awful run, we might not have all agreed with it but you’d have seen the rationale. I think there was even a comment from SG after the hearts game about going away and thinking about his future (could be wrong but sure it was along those lines). 

For them to have recruited so well and clearly worked on the training ground and this season to go like it has, has been nothing short of amazing. What a management team we have. 

Gerrard has brought stability to the club. We look set up to continue to dominate as players are tied down or still young, and we should only be needing to bring in one or two quality players each year now to challenge those who are already here. If we were completely out of the picture next season I would be worried, but no chance I'd be sacking the man who stopped 10 in a row. But, another season falling short - questions would need to be asked I think. Very similar to Klopp I suppose, if Liverpool have another stinker next season the decision may be taken out of our hands.

Whilst I still won't be overreacting every time we're drawing after 10 minutes in a game with future managers I think it's clear that Gerrard inherited a team that needed time and work put into it. We were years of work, years of experience, countless millions of pounds in revenue, wages, transfer fees, value behind them, going up against a team who had won everything for years with let's be honest a top manager in Rodgers at the helm. It was no disaster that Gerrard didn't come in and immediately win the title. What has been very evident though is continuous progress each and every season and that's what kept him in the job and rightly so. 

We are now at the point where we have a Rangers team though, we are back competing on the park and getting closer off the park as well. Start churning out big transfer fees and cash a couple of Champions League cheques and there will be little excuses for future managers anymore. So I don't think we should give every manager 3 years if that's the question that is being asked. But I do believe in giving a little bit of time as has always been my mindset anyway with any club. It depends just how badly it goes though. 

I'll be honest bar just after Xmas last year I was delighted with the progress that Gerrard had made with us.

We were showing we were as good if not better than the papes in games vs them, we just needed consistency vs the rest. We've now added this and Steven Gerrard deserves this as much as the fans cause he's been a breath of fresh air for us.

Had last season not been curtailed then I don't know if he would've lasted.

This "the 10" shite was a noose round our manager, players and fans necks but we really did need time.to build.

I'm glad he was given it 

If we lost this season I think SG would have been given 1 more after this season as the improvements in the team are all there to see plus he’s self-financing with the euro runs. As much as we all want cups it’s seems to be more than that these days but playing great football but not winning anything should see you out the door after 3 seasons. Do we think we’re in with a wee chance this season 🤪

I think gerrard has bought himself time with this season and the squad he’s built. I don’t think he’d be hounded if we don’t win it next season( I’m confident we will) similar to souness and the bheasts winning it his second season. Gerrard has put our club in a place we could only dream of 4 years ago with a marked improvement year on year. I actually think the improvement will continue aswell. Lots to look forward to, hope he’s here for a while yet.

Can't recall 3xactly but seem to think King said he had been given time to sort things out. Difficult job must have been acknowledged and accepted by both parties in order for it to have gone ahead. Europe and the extra dosh would have been a factor in ensuring progress or at least losses being kept to an acceptable level.

Champions League will hopefully boost the coffers plus of course an increase in the player valuations. Wouldn't surprise me if Gerrard hasn't got a release clause built into the contract if Liverpool came calling. 

As a group of fans, pressure was put on in the early years. He has had to shape and mould a team capable of playing attractive football and at the same time deal with physical footy and defensive low blocks. He has proved his worth and long (?) May it continue.

A rookie manager with no real experience should be given longer than an experienced trophy laden manger. 

A rookie manager needs to also show continuous improvements. 

Steven Gerrard has a winning mentality, this is reflected in our team. 
he’s fucking special that’s for sure. 

15 minutes ago, Dennis Reynolds said:

Gerrard is a mile removed from most to be fair, it was as clear as the hole in your arse he had it in him to do something special with us from our displays in Europe and the visual leaps in player development. 

Pedro, Warburton, Murty etc - it was pretty clear they were utter duds within months. 

Some post Dennis. 👍

Although at one point I would have given Pedro a bit longer 

I reckon if the league wasn't curtailed and was simply postponed (like last seasons Scottish cup) then upon the restart we applied the same rules we would have won it.

We'd have came back, cuffed them twice and won our game in hand and went on to win the league.

Prove me wrong.

2 minutes ago, KeyserSoze said:

A rookie manager with no real experience should be given longer than an experienced trophy laden manger. 

A rookie manager needs to also show continuous improvements. 

Steven Gerrard has a winning mentality, this is reflected in our team. 
he’s fucking special that’s for sure. 

Should a rookie manager ever be appointed at a club as big as ours, with the pressures that come with it, his reaction after the hearts cup defeat last year showed it got to him, 

Yeah we have won the league this season and europe has been sparkling again, but no one in their right mind could have predicted how much the tarriers would nuke their season, if they didnt go to dubai especially we might be in a title race still, and the post new year struggles and nervousness might well have kicked in again

3 minutes ago, .Williamson. said:

Gerrard got more time because of covid and the stopping of football last season. He was on his way out 

This

We were two days away from an inevitable scudding off them at ibrox when football got stopped, that might have pushed gerrard to walk

1 minute ago, Jimbeamjunior said:

Should a rookie manager ever be appointed at a club as big as ours, with the pressures that come with it, his reaction after the hearts cup defeat last year showed it got to him, 

Yeah we have won the league this season and europe has been sparkling again, but no one in their right mind could have predicted how much the tarriers would nuke their season, if they didnt go to dubai especially we might be in a title race still, and the post new year struggles and nervousness might well have kicked in again

The taigs haven't really tbh, they're on course to beat 2 of the their last 3 winning tallies.

We've been fucking incredible this season. They've not fucked it, they just couldn't live with us 

1 minute ago, Jimbeamjunior said:

It's the new new, 

As much as some will point to their time with youth sides -  Barca (Pep), Real (Zidane), Arsenal (Arteta) all appointed first time managers..... they are doing that because the majority of proven talent is proven to be shit. 

The others candidates we were linked with i.e McIness, he was never ever ever ever ever in 100 years going to manage us to the extent Gerrard has, all his "CV" was, was evidence he wasn't good enough. 

Rangers have drew 4 GAMES AND LOST 0 - celtic in Dubai, fuck sake. :stevieg:

6 minutes ago, .Williamson. said:

Gerrard got more time because of covid and the stopping of football last season. He was on his way out 

If the season had properly finished he wouldn't still be here. Hearts in the cup and Hamilton at home were fucking dreadful, he looked lost and didn't know what to do. The majority of this forum wanted him out and I don't blame them. The slide we were on was disastrous.

1 minute ago, 7PointsUntilRFC55 said:

The taigs haven't really tbh, they're on course to beat 2 of the their last 3 winning tallies.

We've been fucking incredible this season. They've not fucked it, they just couldn't live with us 

We were incredible up until new year last season as well mate, only dropping 7 points (one was the ibrox OF game), and imo they have fucked it with dubai, they dropped 9 points in the 3 weeks after dubai

4 minutes ago, Jimbeamjunior said:

This

We were two days away from an inevitable scudding off them at ibrox when football got stopped, that might have pushed gerrard to walk

Baws, he has been a top level football player most of his life dealing with adversity and shit results... he didn't do that on the back of jacking it in after a rut in form.... confidence and belief in your ability gets you to the levels he played at. 

4 minutes ago, 7PointsUntilRFC55 said:

Don’t be daft mate, all down to them playing bad 😂

their shit show, has been a side show to the real story AFC4013B-6EA8-4423-B333-CCC7345324AC.thumb.png.fcef6e44a79df13a550057586b3dba49.png7776C25B-7A86-4E27-88F7-77BDE1FA0D90.thumb.png.665f32fd55b8d8af1a21b23c1d7a28a5.png

2 minutes ago, Jimbeamjunior said:

The board seen something in him. 
That’s their job, they did it well

On our form it wouldn’t matter a fuck what the tims did this season our form would still see us win the league. Thems the facts, all about us and fuck all about them 

8 minutes ago, .Williamson. said:

Yup. Looked like he was done after the Hearts game. If the season continued and he lost the league fairly and by a big gap then he would've been gone. 

Archived