Patience with Managers

McEwan's Lager

It's hard to say overall but I think the time Gerrard was given was exactly what we needed at the time. The club needed stability and that's what a long term manager would bring us. I think once he signed that original deal there was no way he wasn't going to see that out.

Thanks to the last 3 years we are now in a position were Gerrard or any manager can pick up where we left off. We now have a squad of 18/19 outfield players who can come in and do a job that meets the standard of a winning Rangers team. As for those players if one of those players leave we just have to replace them.

I always think our club should show patience with managers. It's ingrained into the DNA of the club that we are loyal to managers though typically the success comes before the loyalty. Since William Wilton was made the first offical manager in 1899 we only had 13 different men manage Rangers in 116 years. Since McCoist left in 2014 and Gerrard joining in 2018 we had five different men manage over 10 games for Rangers, though some weren't official. There were many reasons why things weren't going well for us in those 3 1/2 years but the managerial situation did not help. 

However, I do think nowadays with managerial terms being much shorter than they were 30 or 40 years ago that the manager, in the clubs current position now, gets one season to miss out on the league. Two years in a row wouldn't be tolerated. Similar to Advocaat and a bit like McLeish's situation between 2003-2005.

I think if there's one thing the fan base as whole might appreciate more than ever is the importance of European qualification, just now the Europa and going forward the CL. You keep that money coming in then the better players we can bring in and the bigger chance we have of winning things. I'd argue it's more important that the League or Scottish Cup right now.

Having a DoF figure like Ross Wilson will be vital in keeping the standards up we now have at the club. There wont be any project managers like Pedro or any full rescale like we did under PLG. 

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, esquire8 said:

Don't act like I am. Just giving my opinion and posting daft stuff from Twitter for laughs is my happy place on here.

Ok mate.

I thought i could remember a thread a while back where you took centre stage but it must have been someone else.

11 minutes ago, Jimbeamjunior said:

Im planning on finding @SeparateEntityMyArsein george Square and throwing a shark at him, 

10 minutes ago, plumbGER said:

More than help you with this if required.

I've got my sharks already. Me and my boys are ready, bring it on. 😁

Just now, Dennis Reynolds said:

Oh 100% people are investing in the club in the expectancy and want for them to do better, to win rather than the sole existence of the club -  i.e if Pedro had been given free reingn to simply run us into a bag of shite getting dicked every week, there is fucking no way the place if full every week and season tickets sell out. 

If you think people would be buying season tickets as the club simply sat 3rd or 4th in the league each year with minimal investment and return on season tickets you are a fucking mile removed from most Rangers supporters I know. 

Don't know why you think a board would be happy employing a manager who isn't delivering results that they get judged by.

Everyone at the club bar the investors are employees. They either do the job they were brought in for or they get sacked. Pretty simple. 

If we the fans, who are the primary source of investors, aren't happy and those employed aren't doing their job then they go.

Why would the board accept a Pedro for 4 years? 

Things will change if the investors aren't happy. 

1 minute ago, esquire8 said:

Don't know why you think a board would be happy employing a manager who isn't delivering results that they get judged by.

Everyone at the club bar the investors are employees. They either do the job they were brought in for or they get sacked. Pretty simple. 

If we the fans, who are the primary source of investors, aren't happy and those employed aren't doing their job then they go.

Why would the board accept a Pedro for 4 years? 

Things will change if the investors aren't happy. 

:stevieg:

So by your own omission there are circumstances when fans wouldn't simply turn up regardless 

I dont think he'd have walked. Type of character he is, I'd have expected him to stay and dig in that bit more. He's not a quitter, and I think if he'd asked for time, it's because he expected to need it. 

Gerrard's been on a learning curve. Part of that was probably learning how to better deal with putting yourself in pole position after a big win half way through the season. Maybe expecting a smooth upwards curve of improvement was wrong. A general improvement with setbacks , dips in the curve, is in reality what's happened. 

I think King had faith in Gerrard and could see that, and I don't think he'd have sacked him last season. I'm glad he did have faith. It's one of his best decisions.

Gerrard got a few extra meters of rope just due to his name and then another couple because of the outright fucking shambles he inherited.

Someone taking over from Gerrard without being a big name or having close ties to the club would get half the lives he’s had.

2 minutes ago, Dennis Reynolds said:

:stevieg:

So by your own omission there are circumstances when fans wouldn't simply turn up regardless 

Fans not being happy doesn't mean not buying season tickets.

If a board want to be good at their job then they keep the fans as happy as possible.

3 minutes ago, Rangers_no1 said:

What's this pish about no pressure or challenge since October? :lol:

Before we won 1-0 at New Year the gap was 16 points with the scum having 3 games in hand. Effectively could have been 7 points, had they won 4. Sure they were on a 4/5 game winning run prior.

Been pressure right up to that game, why some feel the need to downplay our turnaround from last season I will never know. We deserve more credit for our season.

Their 4 game winning run prior to the new years OF game came against the bottom shite of the league, until they beat the sheep last week they hadnt beaten a top 6 side in the league since october, and their 3 gakestin hand at that point were against top 6

7 minutes ago, esquire8 said:

Fans not being happy doesn't mean not buying season tickets.

If a board want to be good at their job then they keep the fans as happy as possible.

But WE have surely learned more than fucking any club going that's not always the case eh....as much as your mythical fantasy land of "oh owners are just jolly good fellows looking out for clubs" is true in your head, it's not in reality. 

There are numerous examples of clubs where owners take the cunt and simply run a club for the sake of it as a cash cow, under investing and selling it short,  you are implying our fans would simply turn up regardless in those circumstance. I am telling you now, they fucking wouldn't, they would tell a board to get to fuck if that happened (it literally did happen) 

To square the circle of this point.... there was no huge rush or want to sack him coming from the board or fan pressure. 

The board in part sold season tickets in the summer gone because yes, fans want to support and back the club, but also in part because they did back fans to sill have some level of belief in what Gerrard could achieve the wider support did accept Gerrard had something and needed another go at it, a niggle somewhere saying, he might be shit you know, but a louder voice was telling people he could do something with us. 

2 minutes ago, They Gnu said:

Rangers Fans and patience....? We are the most impatient fans on the planet. 

Part and parcel of the league we are in, 2 horse races always do this, you cant face not winning anything because you know its your hates rivals that are winning, like in spain between real and barca 

Top clubs in england give managers more time because of the way the league is spread out a bit more

Gerrard survived so long due to his European exploits. 

From a fans perspective winning trophies is all that matters but from a business perspective the two European campaigns before this season were vital.

Having said that, i think he was on verge of resigning after Hearts and Hamilton.

7 minutes ago, Jimbeamjunior said:

Part and parcel of the league we are in, 2 horse races always do this, you cant face not winning anything because you know its your hates rivals that are winning, like in spain between real and barca 

Top clubs in england give managers more time because of the way the league is spread out a bit more

Its expectation as well. Prior to demotion there has been only 7 spells in the clubs history where we haven't won a major trophy in two consecutive seasons, the majority of them being pre WW1. 

4 minutes ago, SeparateEntityMyArse said:

You jumped straight to taking about boys willy's when I said my boys. That's weird as a thought process.

I asked a question about the sharks.

Why would i be asking how you knew your son's were boys? 

Pretty weird that you thought i meant your sons tbh.

27 minutes ago, Rangers_no1 said:

What's this pish about no pressure or challenge since October? :lol:

Before we won 1-0 at New Year the gap was 16 points with the scum having 3 games in hand. Effectively could have been 7 points, had they won 4. Sure they were on a 4/5 game winning run prior.

Been pressure right up to that game, why some feel the need to downplay our turnaround from last season I will never know. We deserve more credit for our season.

Was listening to Heart and Hand earlier and someone came up with that stat that the scum are still on course to set a points tally that's the same/better than at least two of their recent titles since we returned, (3 if you include last season). *edit* - turns out that's pish.

We've simply been superb, risen to every challenge and handled the pressure brilliantly. Some people outside of the support might try and use the fact it's a weird pandemic disrupted season to diminish our achievements too, but the fact we've achieved what we have despite all the external challenges has been an incredible feat.

Archived