Patience with Managers

McEwan's Lager

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply
27 minutes ago, SeparateEntityMyArse said:

We weren't turning it around, we may or may not have cut the points gap. But there was enough in some games against them and moreso in Europe to suggest we had the nucleus of a good team if not squad. 

What was sorted in the summer would have needed and been sorted in the summer regardless if it was 1 point or 13 difference.

Primarily the reliance on Morelos needing and being addressed.

I was responding to your point regarding what will happen if we lose the league next season. I know last season was dead and buried. 

9 minutes ago, STEPPS BOY said:

Gerrard survived so long due to his European exploits. 

From a fans perspective winning trophies is all that matters but from a business perspective the two European campaigns before this season were vital.

Having said that, i think he was on verge of resigning after Hearts and Hamilton.

We had Celtic and Leverkusen prior to the season being suspended. If they both went ahead under normal circumstances and we got hidings he would have left then imo.

Just now, G.E.C. said:

We had celtic and Leverkusen prior to the season being suspended. If they both went ahead under normal circumstances and we got hidings he would have left then imo.

The Leverkusen result wasn't going to make fuck all difference, most left (and arrived) at that game knowing they were fucking class. 

1 minute ago, Tak3rNo1 said:

Clapping for Gerrard and then losing to Hamilton was a particular highlight

The Hamilton game was horrific, had turned right bad at the game. Think it's because most of us thought we had a winner in Gerrard then it went pear shaped AGAIN.

2 minutes ago, AGM_72 said:

Was listening to Heart and Hand earlier and someone came up with that stat that the scum are still on course to set a points tally that's the same/better than at least two of their recent titles since we returned, (3 if you include last season).

We've simply been superb, risen to every challenge and handled the pressure brilliantly. Some people outside of the support might try and use the fact it's a weird pandemic disrupted season to diminish our achievements too, but the fact we've achieved what we have despite all the external challenges has been an incredible feat.

But they aren't though, they are on course to get 81 points going by points per game so far, that would only win them the league in the first season we were down the leagues 

They'd need to win their last 8 games and two of them are against us, 

1 minute ago, plumbGER said:

The Hamilton game was horrific, had turned right bad at the game. Think it's because most of us thought we had a winner in Gerrard then it went pear shaped AGAIN.

Didn't help that the mutants dropped points that night as well, could have been a glimmer of hope had we won against Hamilton.

After that game I would have been pretty content to see any of the players leave. Was a tough pill to swallow because of how talented you could see the squad were first half of the season and in Europe, just seemed like the mentality wasn't there. Glad none of them left. 

1 minute ago, Jimbeamjunior said:

But they aren't though, they are on course to get 81 points going by points per game so far, that would only win them the league in the first season we were down the leagues 

They'd need to win their last 8 games and two of them are against us, 

Ah, fair enough! I didn't bother looking into it in any great detail. (Thought did cross my mind about the 2 games vs us though.)

3 minutes ago, Tak3rNo1 said:

Clapping for Gerrard and then losing to Hamilton was a particular highlight

Couldn’t believe that at the time. Just dumped out of the Scottish Cup by Hearts who were bottom of the league, the title push was gone and we were now clapping :whut:

Just now, AGM_72 said:

Didn't help that the mutants dropped points that night as well, could have been a glimmer of hope had we won against Hamilton.

After that game I would have been pretty content to see any of the players leave. Was a tough pill to swallow because of how talented you could see the squad were first half of the season and in Europe, just seemed like the mentality wasn't there. Glad none of them left. 

Aye it had that feeling of familiarity about it, we knew we were making progress elsewhere but it wasn't going to be enough to stop what felt (at that time) the inevitable 10.

Can argue all day whether the taigs implosion has been the biggest cause or our form, i'd personally say its a bit of both.

The difference is the fear factor, teams are turning up expecting to get beat off us & thinking they can get a result against them, that's not happened at any point in the last 3/4 years. I've watched games with them and the other team is beat in the tunnel, they're just waiting to concede the 1st goal & get the game over with.

Now you've got teams that fancy their chances against that mob, it makes a big difference.

3 minutes ago, G.E.C. said:

We had Celtic and Leverkusen prior to the season being suspended. If they both went ahead under normal circumstances and we got hidings he would have left then imo.

I was at Tynecastle and the vitriol towards Gerrard, Tav and Goldson in particular was incredible.

The atmosphere after Hamilton at home wasn’t much better and there was an element of resignation about what was about to happen.

I said then that he had lost the fans

Absolutely no idea what happened during lockdown but Gerrard and the team have been unrecognisable since then.

Gerrard has been focussed and had a steely determination since first game. No over the top celebrations just about winning.

Anytime in pre pr post match interviews of anyone said great performance or great individual performance his reply has always been “it’s about winning trophies”.

Just last week in pre match interview the lassie said about Tavs appearances and he shot her down - 3 points is all that matters.

1 minute ago, STEPPS BOY said:

I was at Tynecastle and the vitriol towards Gerrard, Tav and Goldson in particular was incredible.

The atmosphere after Hamilton at home wasn’t much better and there was an element of resignation about what was about to happen.

I said then that he had lost the fans

Absolutely no idea what happened during lockdown but Gerrard and the team have been unrecognisable since then.

Gerrard has been focussed and had a steely determination since first game. No over the top celebrations just about winning.

Anytime in pre pr post match interviews of anyone said great performance or great individual performance his reply has always been “it’s about winning trophies”.

Just last week in pre match interview the lassie said about Tavs appearances and he shot her down - 3 points is all that matters.

A young, inexperienced manager slowly becoming a better, more experienced manager after seeing where he's gone wrong?

Patience is 100% important with a young management team. Won't always bear fruit, but it makes sense to be if you're going to go down the route of hiring one.

6 minutes ago, Inigo said:

A young, inexperienced manager slowly becoming a better, more experienced manager after seeing where he's gone wrong?

Patience is 100% important with a young management team. Won't always bear fruit, but it makes sense to be if you're going to go down the route of hiring one.

Would you go for a young, inexperienced manager when gerrard leaves? 

I stated on here atm and many times since as othes have posted, COVID saved Gerrard, no doubts about it, hopefully a learning curve also with some of the loan signings especially, ie worrall at Kilmarnock lost us the league that year alone was the start of it... still cant believe worrall is being touted for the premier league lol

Just now, Jimbeamjunior said:

Would you go for a young, inexperienced manager when gerrard leaves? 

Depends who it is and what team they're bringing up, but after this experience it would be madness to say no. So yes, I'd be up for that, definitely. 

1 hour ago, KeyserSoze said:

A rookie manager with no real experience should be given longer than an experienced trophy laden manger. 

A rookie manager needs to also show continuous improvements. 

Steven Gerrard has a winning mentality, this is reflected in our team. 
he’s fucking special that’s for sure. 

i think what is forgotten is what he gives the club off the field as well  sponsers wanted to sign up players wanting to play for him  class in the way he deals with the media etc we are getting far more positive publicity world wide than ever before a lot of that is done to winning of course but a lot comes from the name of steven gerrard

3 minutes ago, Inigo said:

Depends who it is and what team they're bringing up, but after this experience it would be madness to say no. So yes, I'd be up for that, definitely. 

How long would you give them to be successful, 

Mind that pretty much after this season we'll need to do the selling players for decent money and still make Europe on top of that (basically new guy doesn't get the board funding gerrard did) 

Just now, billscott said:

i think what is forgotten is what he gives the club off the field as well  sponsers wanted to sign up players wanting to play for him  class in the way he deals with the media etc we are getting far more positive publicity world wide than ever before a lot of that is done to winning of course but a lot comes from the name of steven gerrard

Sponsors etc doesnt cover the losses the board have funded for gerrard, any new manager after him probably doesnt get anywhere near the time and funding he did, most will need to be made by themselves in Europe, 

What gerrard walked into and what the board were willing to do will probably never happen again, CL qualification is so important now and a new boss coming in whenever gerrard leaves us will need that especially 

Just now, Jimbeamjunior said:

How long would you give them to be successful, 

Mind that pretty much after this season we'll need to do the selling players for decent money and still make Europe on top of that (basically new guy doesn't get the board funding gerrard did) 

Yeah, we're not going to be as far behind them as a starting point though. Gerrard was starting from a very low platform.

Each circumstance is different. Depends whether improvement is evident.

Bottom line is, if the Board think a guy/backroom team has the look of a group with talent, age shouldn't block it. Albeit, with age comes improvement through experience, there's no point in going for an older, experienced manager if you think the younger one shows signs of being simply better.

Our team are young and very, very good. I'd take it in a heartbeat if the Board had reason to think they were getting that again.

35 minutes ago, plumbGER said:

I asked a question about the sharks.

Why would i be asking how you knew your son's were boys? 

Pretty weird that you thought i meant your sons tbh.

I'm talking about my boys, my kids, as I have multiple times before. Youre talking about willies. 

You say you're talking about sharks and touching their willies. 

If you felt the need to make comments about touching sharks willies that makes you weird. If it was about my kids willies that would make you a wrong un.

Here's hoping you're just being weird.

The two previous seasons Gerrard did so much right. He rebuilt the team, had us playing great football and we were in great positions. The issue was that the team crumbled in the new year and couldn’t win any trophies. That’s a huge thing for a club like ours and some managers just aren’t winners. Walter was the opposite. Sir Alex was the opposite.
This season Gerrard has been the opposite - even when we’re not at our best we keep going and find ways to win. I’m not sure whether it’s an experience thing or what but people were right to ask the questions they did after the poor form. This season he’s been phenomenal, though, and I’m so glad he stuck around 

17 minutes ago, SeparateEntityMyArse said:

I'm talking about my boys, my kids, as I have multiple times before. Youre talking about willies. 

You say you're talking about sharks and touching their willies. 

If you felt the need to make comments about touching sharks willies that makes you weird. If it was about my kids willies that would make you a wrong un.

Here's hoping you're just being weird.

Calm down ya weirdo.

Archived