Defoe

ShaneRalfRoss

Taken from Ibrox loyal

Jermain Defoe expected to leave Rangers at the end of the season.

The 38 year old is apparently not ready to retire yet, and wants to keep on playing, but as Rangers look to wrap up the title and improve going forward, it looks like there isn't playing plans for Defoe at Ibrox.

Many thought the striker would move into a coaching role at Ibrox once he called it quits on his playing career, but he doesn't want to give up just yet.

The player is now free to speak to other clubs.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He has class and professionalism written all over him. An excellent ambassador for the club. His body is showing signs of starting to give up now though, lots of niggles this year. Would go with much respect from all, although I feel staying might be better even in a reduced role. He wouldn’t go to a Premiership side now, and I’m not sure his body could cope or allow him to handle the rigours of a championship season. I can’t see him wanting to turn out for another SPL side. I think he either stays in the player/coach role or goes to US/Middle east for a final pay day in the Sun in a more relaxed league. 

11 minutes ago, mitre_mouldmaster said:

Best of luck to him!

He can certainly still continue playing and will do great where ever he goes, but we need to be looking to build for the future.

He can leave with his head held high as a champion with all our best wishes.

Couldn't have put it any better.

Good luck to him. I think his influence will be missed.

As far as players like Barton, Kranjcar, Beattie etc goes he's been an absolutely fantastic signing. 

23 goals in 46 games in the league, largely as a substitute. Not to mention the experience and influence he will have brought to the team, fantastic. I think he should have played a lot more tbh, especially in the last year when other strikers have been out or off form. Credit to the club, will definitely do a job for another team. Sunderland is a great shout. No brainer. 

Great signing by Gerrard for his experience alone...Absolute class this lad is.  Playing a really important part of this seasons success story. Cud imagine him at somewhere like derby.

1 minute ago, B1872 said:

I’d expect him and Alfie both to leave in the summer and for us to go baws oot and bring in a £5/6 million striker to replace them.

Should probably fire in a £5m bid for Eduard, would be worth it for the wind up alone, not to mention they would probably accept it and claim we offered £30m, sending the hoards into further melt down.

Archived