Defoe

ShaneRalfRoss

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Class act.

Can understand why he'd want to play on, you're a long time retired.

He's going to leave a Champion having played his part on the pitch and I imagine behind the scenes.

Always welcome back......Hopefully as a coach!

Class act on and off the park. Any young footballer looking to make headway in the game should model themselves on his professionalism and work ethic.

It would maybe best for both parties that he moves on at the end of the season though. Would leave with his first league winners medal round his neck.

What a great guy to have associated with our club. Got the pleasure of watching him in person last season and seeing his incredible movement. Ideally would love him on our coaching staff as his work with Morelos and his love of the game is excellent. Glad he gets the reward of finally becoming a League champion in a league season nobody will forget. 

20 minutes ago, NorthernLights said:

Still good enough to play but we’ve just got better in the time he’s been here. Wish him the best 

Don't agree with that. Would be perhaps more relevant to say he doesn't suit our system as much but he is still the best finisher at the club.

45 minutes ago, G.E.C. said:

He’s been a great servant and wish him all the best.

Has he played enough league games for a medal?

By the end of the season I'm sure he will have. 

A great signing in terms of professionalism and just being an all round great guy thanks for joining us. 

6 minutes ago, NorthernLights said:

You don’t think we’ve improved our forward options since he arrived?

Yes mate. I don't however think Defoe is "not good enough". He is our best finisher but he doesn't have the same hold up play and running the lines like the other 3 do. He offers something different though. Just don't think he offers enough with what Gerrard wants our no.9s to do.

He’s a dying breed and a true professional. He wants to keep playing but knows he won’t get enough time on the pitch here as he likes so he’s off to seek out other opportunities instead of sitting in the stands collecting a pay cheque . He will be a big loss to that dressing room and the club in general he’s came across as a positive role model to the other players. really hope we can get him back one day in a coaching role . 

He’ll leave a champion with everyone’s best wishes and a bit of regret he’s decided to move on 

36 minutes ago, Malkytfp1 said:

Yes mate. I don't however think Defoe is "not good enough". He is our best finisher but he doesn't have the same hold up play and running the lines like the other 3 do. He offers something different though. Just don't think he offers enough with what Gerrard wants our no.9s to do.

Miscommunication then I think because that’s what I mean. I don’t think he’s got dramatically worse - just we now have better options than we did when he joined and (as you say) he’s a different type of striker 

A quality player and a class act who’s been a credit to himself and the club 

I hoped he’d stay as a coach but he definitely has enough left in the tank to do someone else a turn

I always loved him as a player, was over the moon when we signed him and I’m glad he hasn’t disappointed 

Archived