** Last 16 Europa League **

BlueVanguard

• Replies 726
  • Created
  • Last Reply
28 minutes ago, Valance1690 said:

Molde/Granada fluked it, how Molde won that game with the chances Hoffenheim had i've no idea & Granada were holding on big time against Napoli. Young Boys did do well to beat Leverkusen though.

In years gone by I would agree that we should be a last 16 team but even back years ago that was seen as a good season, these days because of the money in football (lack of in the Scottish game) we're always going to be punching above our weight in these tournaments.

Aye money doesn't always equal success but when you see the amount some of these clubs have spent its ridiculous we're even going toe to toe with them. Benfica for example spent the best part of 100 million in the summer & from the teams left, Arsenal/Ajax/United/Milan/Roma/Spurs & even Villareal all regularly spend big money (in comparison to us) on players. Half the competition have squads assembled that are maybe 4x or 5x more expensive than ours & that's including the fact a few big names went out last night.

For context I think our 11 last night was maybe 20 million at a push...it's a credit to the management team/players that we're even still here & even more so the fact we put 9 by a team!

Im not going to sit here and debate the fact that clubs have more money than us, it isn't a new thing. Of course the management and team deserve praise but they have built every season and I think it should be a more than achievable objective now, getting out the group's in the Europa isn't as hard as people make it out, 9 times out of 10 you get 1 good team but the other 2 are usually the same standard as us or below it so I think winning a KO round after that is an acceptable expectation, of course if we got one of the big hitters and put out I wouldn't be fussed but if we had went out to Antwerp then I wouldn't have been pleased with it. 

Edit : Napoli needed 3 goals after Granada scored last night, they were comfortable. Molde probably fortunate but you need some luck in knockout football. 

3 hours ago, MattyBlue said:

Celtic drop points tomorrow we win Wednesday

win the league against St mirren next weekend get that done and dusted 

Beat prague away, a whole week to prep for the home game do them at home

Pump Celtic

Draw Molde in the quarters pump them home and away

Draw Villarreal in the semi pump them home and away

skud arsenal in the final and party in Gdańsk

Jobs a fucking goodun

Gonna screenshot this. If this happens....😃🎉 ha.

1 minute ago, SuperLeeMcCulloch said:

Im not going to sit here and debate the fact that clubs have more money than us, it isn't a new thing. Of course the management and team deserve praise but they have built every season and I think it should be a more than achievable objective now, getting out the group's in the Europa isn't as hard as people make it out, 9 times out of 10 you get 1 good team but the other 2 are usually the same standard as us or below it so I think winning a KO round after that is an acceptable expectation, of course if we got one of the big hitters and put out I wouldn't be fussed but if we had went out to Antwerp then I wouldn't have been pleased with it. 

Suppose we have different expectations, in a few years time if we win the league titles, get money in the bank from the Champions League and continue on the up I might agree with you

At the moment though internally I think our aim has always been navigate the usually tricky qualifiers & get to the Europa group stages, anything after that is a bonus. 

7 minutes ago, Valance1690 said:

Suppose we have different expectations, in a few years time if we win the league titles, get money in the bank from the Champions League and continue on the up I might agree with you

At the moment though internally I think our aim has always been navigate the usually tricky qualifiers & get to the Europa group stages, anything after that is a bonus. 

Don't get me wrong I would want the club to have contingency plans incase we were knocked out early as easily could have been the case this season but going as far as possible in Europe is vital for us, I would agree with the CL if we can navigate the qualifiers and get to the groups then it's absolutely a free hit every time we do it, the only objective we should have if we get to the CL groups is not finishing bottom. 

4 minutes ago, SuperLeeMcCulloch said:

Don't get me wrong I would want the club to have contingency plans incase we were knocked out early as easily could have been the case this season but going as far as possible in Europe is vital for us, I would agree with the CL if we can navigate the qualifiers and get to the groups then it's absolutely a free hit every time we do it, the only objective we should have if we get to the CL groups is not finishing bottom. 

If we make it through the CL qualifiers I would be content with 3rd in our 1st season and the parachute into the last 32 of the Europa as one of the favourites to win it.

1 hour ago, glasgow argyle said:

Favourites to qualify,  I do fancy our chances of getting to last 8

We're definitely capable of beating them, although they looked pretty decent against Leicester last night. 

Leicester were absolutely gash tbf.

4 hours ago, MattyBlue said:

Celtic drop points tomorrow we win Wednesday

win the league against St mirren next weekend get that done and dusted 

Beat prague away, a whole week to prep for the home game do them at home

Pump Celtic

Draw Molde in the quarters pump them home and away

Draw Villarreal in the semi pump them home and away

skud arsenal in the final and party in Gdańsk

Jobs a fucking goodun

Missed one thing. 

Guard of honour at celtic park.

2 minutes ago, Redwhiteandblue said:

Missed one thing. 

Guard of honour at celtic park.

They can ram their guard of honour, they have no honour to give. There’s also no chance they would do this. People need to stop yakking on about it. Fuck them, turn up and thump them as champions does it for me, don’t need a bunch of fucking heed the baws clapping like seals in some fake show of sportsmanship. 

4 hours ago, G.E.C. said:

Imagine we win this tie, draw Molde in the QF and end up with BSC YB in the semi.

Wont happen but just imagine we did but 

If it happens, just hope that Molde keeper is injured. 

If anyone hasn't seen it yet, should watch the highlights from last night of their game against Hoffenheim. Must've been close to 20 saved he pulled off. 

If ye plays like that every week, we should try and sign him. 

Seems like a lit of good players coming out of Norway at the moment. Went and checked out Moldes squad last night and the only have 4 foreigners in their full squad. 

Anyone know if they have a maximum foreigner rule or something like that over there just now?

Just now, Tiger Shaw said:

They can ram their guard of honour, they have no honour to give. There’s also no chance they would do this. People need to stop yakking on about it. Fuck them, turn up and thump them as champions does it for me, don’t need a bunch of fucking heed the baws clapping like seals in some fake show of sportsmanship. 

I'd prefer that too. Was just going with the post I quoted. Didn't know folk had been going on about it, or I wouldn't have mentioned it cause I agree that they would never give us one. And neither they should, if the shoe was on the other foot I would be fucking furious if we done that so can't see it happening.

Happy enough with that draw tbh. It won’t be an easy tie, but it’s a very winnable one.

The rest of the draw has been quite favourable to us too.

Three from Man Utd, Milan, Arsenal, Olympiacos, Roma & Shakhtar are going out and you could easily get a shock in one of the other more obvious one sided ties too.

If we get through this round and we can draw a Granada, Villarreal, Molde, Dynamo Kiev or Villarreal in the next round then we have a fighting chance of getting to the semi final.

6 minutes ago, born a blue nose said:

A guard of honour from a club so dishonourable, would mean nothing to me. 

With all the scum in their team it would probably fire them up to actually play well enough to beat us too. Especially as we would already have the league wrapped up and with a good chance if us still being in Europe I wouldn't be wanting to risk any of our players getting injured off theirs.

Plus wrapping up 55 at their place would just be the cherry on top of our rise back to where we belong. 

This season could match up to the story of how our club was formed. Which I never thought could be possible.

12 minutes ago, DBBTB said:

Happy enough with that draw tbh. It won’t be an easy tie, but it’s a very winnable one.

The rest of the draw has been quite favourable to us too.

Three from Man Utd, Milan, Arsenal, Olympiacos, Roma & Shakhtar are going out and you could easily get a shock in one of the other more obvious one sided ties too.

If we get through this round and we can draw a Granada, Villarreal, Molde, Dynamo Kiev or Villarreal in the next round then we have a fighting chance of getting to the semi final.

I genuinely wouldn't fancy trying to get a ball past that Molde keeper. Cunt looks like he could win the competition on his own for them. 

3 minutes ago, Redwhiteandblue said:

With all the scum in their team it would probably fire them up to actually play well enough to beat us too. Especially as we would already have the league wrapped up and with a good chance if us still being in Europe I wouldn't be wanting to risk any of our players getting injured off theirs.

Plus wrapping up 55 at their place would just be the cherry on top of our rise back to where we belong. 

This season could match up to the story of how our club was formed. Which I never thought could be possible.

Gods a Proddie mate 

Archived