The Emphatic BUT!!

SteveEarle

Is it just me or has anyone seen the recent meteoric rise of the emphatically spoken word “BUT” when football pundits and callers into radio shows use when talking about anything in relation to the game.

I promise once you hear it, it cannot be unheard. The great Kris Boyd is a serial offender at snapping out the loud and resounding “BUT” to punctuate a sentence. SSB pundits are also at it all the time. I don’t know if the Scottish accent just makes it more pronounced.

Listen to any of them, Boyd, Duffy, Keevins, McCoist, Gordon Duncan and they do it all the time.

“Rangers playing well here in the first half “BUT”…..

“Morelos temperament has been much better this season “BUT” ……

“Rangers have had a decent draw in Europe “BUT” …...

I look out for it in conversations at work and with pals and I hardly hear it at all.

The news and travel guys on Clyde never use it but wait till the callers and pundits get motoring and it’s there.

The word is forced out, louder and firmer than any other word in the sentence. I don’t know if it just something that has crept into the Scottish pundit/fans dialect or if it’s just lazy speak but keep your ear out for it. You won’t need to wait for long.

4 hours ago, SteveEarle said:

Is it just me or has anyone seen the recent meteoric rise of the emphatically spoken word “BUT” when football pundits and callers into radio shows use when talking about anything in relation to the game.

I promise once you hear it, it cannot be unheard. The great Kris Boyd is a serial offender at snapping out the loud and resounding “BUT” to punctuate a sentence. SSB pundits are also at it all the time. I don’t know if the Scottish accent just makes it more pronounced.

Listen to any of them, Boyd, Duffy, Keevins, McCoist, Gordon Duncan and they do it all the time.

I look out for it in conversations at work and with pals and I hardly hear it at all.

The news and travel guys on Clyde never use it but wait till the callers and pundits get motoring and it’s there.

The word is forced out, louder and firmer than any other word in the sentence. I don’t know if it just something that has crept into the Scottish pundit/fans dialect or if it’s just lazy speak but keep your ear out for it. You won’t need to wait for long.

Been listening to SG interviews too long mate 

7 minutes ago, plumbGER said:

Wee Nicola says "look" at her almost daily briefings.

David Lammy starts almost every sentence with 'look' too, quite condescending and once you notice stuff like that it can be really annoying.

13 hours ago, SteveEarle said:

Hopefully it'll replace the word 'like', that IS really annoying.

There was an interview with the model Agness Deyn a while back where she was asked her opinion on Helen Mirren.

This was her answer...  "She's so like (pause) ladylike, like".

2 hours ago, G13 said:

David Lammy starts almost every sentence with 'look' too, quite condescending and once you notice stuff like that it can be really annoying.

Absolutely. It's silly shite but it's hard to shake once you hear it. Jim Duffy on SSB last night had me turning it off:lol:

Archived