Forget Mols, Boyd & Jelavic - Current Ibrox star is Rangers' best since McCoist

The Dude

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

All relative to when they played, what team mates they played with, and if being viewed as an allrounder or goal scorer.  I can only comment from late 70's. Jela, Mols, Morelos, for me all contributed much the same in that they worked tirelessly off the ball for the team, but also scored a fair amount of goals. My favourite was Mols, sadly we never appreciated over a longer period just how good a footballer he was. McCoist, Boyd, Negri(prior to injury and chucking it) were, in my view, better at sticking the ball in the net.

All Rangers legends nevertheless, Negri aside.   

First off, I've given criticism in the past for the way some of your articles have been linked... 

I'm enjoying this style much more and It makes reading the article much more enjoyable for me. 

Secondly, I agree. Mols at his peak was the best I've seen. He was frightening... Unplayable almost. If he didn't have the injury... This could have been an article about the best since Mols.

For me I'd have prso next, again didn't play for us for a long time, but my god what a player. I guess a better comparison with him would be Hateley... But what a player, shame he had injuries too as the big guy was frightening. Prso and Mols in the same team at their very best would have been incredible to watch.

Jelavic, had a great spell at us, but didn't play for us for long enough. Alfie, despite the downs is ahead of him too. I think his link up play this year had taken him there. He's improved so much as a player, despite maybe not being as composed in front of goal.

Honourable mentions for Boyd, Arveladze and Miller for me. But definitely below the above names.

In my lifetime

Mccoist

Hateley

Morelos

Mols

Prso

Jelavic

Love Morelos and think he’s the best forward we have had for the system we play. I still think his touch as times is heavy and is not as natural a finisher has McCourt, Boyd etc 

None of the names on the list above would be half as good in the current team playing the current system. 

10 minutes ago, GlasgowRangers1983 said:

Love Morelos and think he’s the best forward we have had for the system we play. I still think his touch as times is heavy and is not as natural a finisher has McCourt, Boyd etc 

None of the names on the list above would be half as good in the current team playing the current system. 

wash your mouth out 

Stats are, that Alfie is the top European scorer that Rangers have had in their history. I think that he will become one of the best forward players in Europe. He came as a 21 year old in to a lack luster team and out performed the rest of the team, to the point we were dependant on him to pull us through games. Each season he has improved despite being young and patchy in form at times. He is continuing to improve his game and has grow up with the added pressure of being a Rangers player. How many Rangers forwards faced this pressure at an early age: Mols(28 when he joined), Jelavic(24 when he joined) Boyd (23 when he joined) only McCoist (21 when he joined) and Derick Johnstone (16 when he joined the first team) are comparable in age, expectations on them and being able to deliver. I think the best is still to come and Steven Gerrard may be the right person to bring that out of him. Alfie is now surrounded with quality players that have Gerrard drumming professionalism into them and he is responding well to this. As I said the best is still to come, I just hope we can hold on to him for a season or two longer.

12 minutes ago, ger4life_1872 said:

It's the potential he has that puts him in a separate bracket for me 

When he scores against the papes he will move up a bracket and when he grows up and behaves like an adult he will move up another bracket.

Has potential. 👍

46 minutes ago, HuistraHairDo said:

“Speculation over his future has surrounded Morelos almost since he first arrived but the Gers have managed to keep him in Scotland so far but everyone can probably accept already that he will move one before too long.“

Needs sorted @The Dude 

shoddy imo

Fuck.

Morelos is probably the best since McCoist.

Prso/Jelavic - didn't have them long enough, Prso could have left Ibrox a God if he'd been here longer

Mols - brilliant, but never the same after his knee injury

Boyd - was never trusted in Europe by Smith, which says all you need to know.

Morelos, on his European goals alone, gets it for me. 

41 minutes ago, MaddistonKnight said:

Morelos is probably the best since McCoist.

Prso/Jelavic - didn't have them long enough, Prso could have left Ibrox a God if he'd been here longer

Mols - brilliant, but never the same after his knee injury

Boyd - was never trusted in Europe by Smith, which says all you need to know.

Morelos, on his European goals alone, gets it for me. 

Pršo was legendary imo, feel he stayed for as long as he could before hanging up the boots and accepting his limits  with his knee injury.

5 hours ago, The Dude said:

Well, I'm hardly likely to be inundated with likes and in the seven years of writing/podcasting etc I've yet to ask for a single donation, sold a bit of merch or hidden anything behind a paywall/subscription service so I'm not sure which category I fall into.

An influencer probably. Which is worse

17 minutes ago, yermaw145 said:

An influencer probably. Which is worse

Not guilty. Never approached anyone looking for freebies to promote their brand and have turned down offers from people to promote their stuff. I just really like talking and writing about fitba. 😂

Archived