Forget Mols, Boyd & Jelavic - Current Ibrox star is Rangers' best since McCoist

The Dude

In my lifetime I'd have a whole bunch of strikers as better than Alfie. McCoist, Johnston, Hateley, Mols, Prso and Jelavic probably. 

Feels like I'm putting him down by saying that, but I'm not. They're all fantastic players and he deserves to be mentioned in their company. Could still overtake some of them.

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, The Dude said:

Rangers striker Alfredo Morelos might still only be 24 years old but the Colombian has already marked his place in Ibrox folklore with his stunning European goals haul for the club – and El Bufalo can be considered as the Gers’ best centre-forward since Ally McCoist was in his pomp.

Read more: https://www.rangersnews.uk/columnist/forget-mols-boyd-jelavic-current-ibrox-star-is-gers-best-striker-since-mccoist/

Kris Boyd holds the crown as Rangers best goal scorer of the 21st century by some distance. He holds the crown of the top scorer in the top league in Scotland, even beating Larsson's goals which is mental as I remember him scoring close to 50 goals in 1 season. 

Having Mols instead of Prso is mental. Mols only had 9 games for us before his injury, which admittedly were something else to watch and why he is remembered so fondly for us but he never got THAT turn back and played like a player winding down the last of his career, which is exactly what you would expect for a striker over 30yr old back then. I hate to say it cause I genuinely love the guy but he's very overrated by our fans. Same could be said for Jelavic. Only played well in every 3rd game, could have been better but seemed lazy to me at least. Would put Morelos before Jelavic for purely playing as a number 9. But McCoist and Boyd are in a different league.  Boyd's goal to games ratio was like a computer game. Not far away from a goal a game if I remember correctly? Bar goals in Europe,  Morelos' goal to game ratio is closer to Arvaladze than Boyd's or Mccoist. McCoist won 2 European golden boots ffs. 

7 hours ago, Falkirk Blue said:

It is strange that he is our top european goalscorer of all time but still hasnt scored against celtic which underlines the fact that he is frustratingly inconsistent.  Hes as talented a striker as I have seen for us at his best.

Remember all his European goals have been in what we used to call "the losers cup". 

Admittedly he had been part of a squad that is "growing up" and the other players played in well established winners squads. 

31 minutes ago, sassaaaa said:

Place has gone crazy , hes won fuck all and never even scored against the filth and now hes better than all our top strikers in the past , ridiculous pish.........

What was it SG said after the game on Thursday, "Eh... he steps up and plays better in games like this and I think I know why he does it..." or something like that.

He's a good player, maybe even a great one but the constant shit about him going or staying really fucks me off. As if we've to be grateful to him for every day he spends here picking up a generous wage that he himself agreed to in a contract negotiation a couple of years ago.

It’s an almost impossible debate. Morelos is undoubtedly a quality forward and his record for us speaks for itself but he remains a striker who (for a few weeks at least) has won nothing with us. All the players mentioned by the OP have won multiple trophies with us across many seasons. You could argue that especially last season his discipline has cost us success. 

Also it’s like comparing apples and pears. Boyd for example is a better natural finisher than Morelos any day of the week, but his work rate outside the box was poor compared to Morelos. Mols had far more ability on the ball but was cut down in his prime so we can’t really know what he’d have done for us. He’s scored more euro goals than McCoist but look at the number of qualifiers we’ve played compared to then. And McCoist has multiple European Golden Boots, not to mention a shedload of trophies in his locker plus more ability and movement off the ball than many would credit him with. 

I love the wee guy but I think he needs to do much more to be lauded as much as some of the names mentioned, although he’ll be a deserved hero for us once the league is won as many others will be too.

1 hour ago, Inigo said:

In my lifetime I'd have a whole bunch of strikers as better than Alfie. McCoist, Johnston, Hateley, Mols, Prso and Jelavic probably. 

Feels like I'm putting him down by saying that, but I'm not. They're all fantastic players and he deserves to be mentioned in their company. Could still overtake some of them.

I agree totally. I think we forget the age of some of our supporters and how deprived we’ve been over the last decade. Many won’t have seen those players play for us hence why Morelos is held in such high regard. I’ve been lucky enough to see all of them but never saw Derek Johnstone or Ralph Brand etc playing for us. All those players have won trophies not only domestically but some in European competition, while many have been regulars Internationally. I think Morelos will have a great career. He’s still only 24 but I honestly don’t think we can compare him to those names yet. 

1 hour ago, Redwhiteandblue said:

Kris Boyd holds the crown as Rangers best goal scorer of the 21st century by some distance. He holds the crown of the top scorer in the top league in Scotland, even beating Larsson's goals which is mental as I remember him scoring close to 50 goals in 1 season. 

Having Mols instead of Prso is mental. Mols only had 9 games for us before his injury, which admittedly were something else to watch and why he is remembered so fondly for us but he never got THAT turn back and played like a player winding down the last of his career, which is exactly what you would expect for a striker over 30yr old back then. I hate to say it cause I genuinely love the guy but he's very overrated by our fans. Same could be said for Jelavic. Only played well in every 3rd game, could have been better but seemed lazy to me at least. Would put Morelos before Jelavic for purely playing as a number 9. But McCoist and Boyd are in a different league.  Boyd's goal to games ratio was like a computer game. Not far away from a goal a game if I remember correctly? Bar goals in Europe,  Morelos' goal to game ratio is closer to Arvaladze than Boyd's or Mccoist. McCoist won 2 European golden boots ffs. 

Miles off the mark there, Jelavic was in a different league to anything Scottish football had seen since the early 2000’s. I’d even argue there hasn’t even been a player of his ability up here since 

9 minutes ago, GA1972 said:

Miles off the mark there, Jelavic was in a different league to anything Scottish football had seen since the early 2000’s. I’d even argue there hasn’t even been a player of his ability up here since 

Remind me of his record while here and after he left?

He had ability no doubt, but was a lazy cunt who only played well in big games or when his contract was running out. 

2 hours ago, Inigo said:

I think I'd probably struggle to put Johnston Prso and Jelavic above Alfie.

Johnston was excellent but from what I remember he was a penalty box striker who did well but had the massive bonus of turning down them just before he signed which gave him a lot of credit.

Prso was a warrior and scored goals in big games and all round striker play was similar to Alfie. But Morelos has scored more.

Jelavic was a guy that I absolutely loved but in hindsight he performed spectacularly well for 2 years in the league but poorly in Europe.

BTW none of these guys we're rubbish or anything, most are in the great teams of their times, but Morelos is genuinely different class.

Good article - Morelos’s story reminds me a bit of Suarez - great player but a discipline issue. I thought Suarez would be finished after biting a player, but look what he went on to do. Alfie needs to learn, which he seems to try to do, and as an aggressive player is always going to get yellows and the odd red but his contribution is phenomenal and long May he stay with us. 

7 hours ago, Redwhiteandblue said:

Remind me of his record while here and after he left?

He had ability no doubt, but was a lazy cunt who only played well in big games or when his contract was running out. 

Not how I remember it. 

8 hours ago, Redwhiteandblue said:

Remember all his European goals have been in what we used to call "the losers cup". 

Admittedly he had been part of a squad that is "growing up" and the other players played in well established winners squads. 

So was Manchester. 

8 hours ago, sassaaaa said:

Place has gone crazy , hes won fuck all and never even scored against the filth and now hes better than all our top strikers in the past , ridiculous pish.........

Kirk broadfoot won more than Tavernier has. Big broaders the better right back? 

8 hours ago, DrLaudrup said:

It’s an almost impossible debate. Morelos is undoubtedly a quality forward and his record for us speaks for itself but he remains a striker who (for a few weeks at least) has won nothing with us. All the players mentioned by the OP have won multiple trophies with us across many seasons. You could argue that especially last season his discipline has cost us success. 

Also it’s like comparing apples and pears. Boyd for example is a better natural finisher than Morelos any day of the week, but his work rate outside the box was poor compared to Morelos. Mols had far more ability on the ball but was cut down in his prime so we can’t really know what he’d have done for us. He’s scored more euro goals than McCoist but look at the number of qualifiers we’ve played compared to then. And McCoist has multiple European Golden Boots, not to mention a shedload of trophies in his locker plus more ability and movement off the ball than many would credit him with. 

I love the wee guy but I think he needs to do much more to be lauded as much as some of the names mentioned, although he’ll be a deserved hero for us once the league is won as many others will be too.

McCoist scored more goals in qualifiers than Morelos has in Europe iirc Two of McCoists Euro goals came in the Champions League. 

7 hours ago, Pure_Quality said:

I think I'd probably struggle to put Johnston Prso and Jelavic above Alfie.

Johnston was excellent but from what I remember he was a penalty box striker who did well but had the massive bonus of turning down them just before he signed which gave him a lot of credit.

Prso was a warrior and scored goals in big games and all round striker play was similar to Alfie. But Morelos has scored more.

Jelavic was a guy that I absolutely loved but in hindsight he performed spectacularly well for 2 years in the league but poorly in Europe.

BTW none of these guys we're rubbish or anything, most are in the great teams of their times, but Morelos is genuinely different class.

They're all better players imo. Morelos benefits from being in the now, but I don't think he's at the level of the others mentioned. They all did it at a higher level than Morelos as well as things stand, more often against better teams and players.

Mo Johnston was more than just a penalty box striker btw. Does him a disservice. Regardless, for me he was better at what he did than Morelos is at what he does. So far. On Prso, more I think about, the less I'd class him a striker tbh. More often played deeper and/or wider in the forward roles. Brilliant player, though.

3 minutes ago, Inigo said:

They're all better players imo. Morelos benefits from being in the now, but I don't think he's at the level of the others mentioned. They all did it at a higher level than Morelos as well as things stand, more often against better teams and players.

Mo Johnston was more than just a penalty box striker btw. Does him a disservice. Regardless, for me he was better at what he did than Morelos is at what he does. So far. On Prso, more I think about, the less I'd class him a striker tbh. More often played deeper and/or wider in the forward roles. Brilliant player, though.

Thing with Johnston is he came and went long before McCoist wrapped up here. Infact, before McCoist was at his peak as a Rangers MoJo had been and gone so he wasn't really in the conversation as best since McCoist. Hateley is largely similar.

Jelavic was fantastic but he wasn't here anywhere near long enough (18 months) to really be considered a proper great. Mols was great pre-Kahn not so much after it. Had he not got injured hed have been one of the very best we've ever had but he did get injured and it majorly affected how he played after it.

Prso came a little too late and was a little too injury prone - the fact he regularly was shunted out the LW to accommodate others doesn't help him much either

8 minutes ago, The Dude said:

Thing with Johnston is he came and went long before McCoist wrapped up here. Infact, before McCoist was at his peak as a Rangers MoJo had been and gone so he wasn't really in the conversation as best since McCoist. Hateley is largely similar.

Jelavic was fantastic but he wasn't here anywhere near long enough (18 months) to really be considered a proper great. Mols was great pre-Kahn not so much after it. Had he not got injured hed have been one of the very best we've ever had but he did get injured and it majorly affected how he played after it.

Prso came a little too late and was a little too injury prone - the fact he regularly was shunted out the LW to accommodate others doesn't help him much either

Yeah, I mentioned Johnston and Hateley only because I'd moved on to talking about best strikers in my lifetime in my first post.

Prso did have a tough time with injuries and Jelavic wasn't here long, that's true. But I'm only talking about how good as footballer each was when they played for us. As things stand, Morelos is more of a 'great' than Jelavic because he's done more for the club. He means more to us. Wee bit to go before he overtakes the others.

Mols I regard as similar to Durrant. In that I think he was unbelievable before his injury, but folk do him a bit of a disservice in terms of how he was after the injury. He was still a fantastic player that contributed big style to trophy wins. Just not quite what he'd been. 

Archived