Forget Mols, Boyd & Jelavic - Current Ibrox star is Rangers' best since McCoist

The Dude

I don't even think it is that close anymore TBH

Boyd and Morelos isn't a conversation 

Loved Jelavic but he really only had one good season with us, done little in Europe, I expect Morelos will have a far superior career to him after he leaves us as well. 

Prso - warrior but again really only one great season, he was plagued by injury the rest of the time. 

Mols - injuries sadly.

All also played in far superior sides, if those players had been replaced by Morelos he would have quite easily helped those sides play at the same level, Prso aside I don't think any of those mentioned could have performed to the level Morelos has in the sides he has played in. 

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Prso injury thing seems debatable too. Think maybe folk remember him as being prone because he carried and played with the knee issue. Averaged 41 games a season for us, though. Played well in each season, but struggled to win anything latterly in a faltering Rangers team.

1 minute ago, Inigo said:

The Prso injury thing seems debatable too. Think maybe folk remember him as being prone because he carried and played with the knee issue. Averaged 41 games a season for us, though. Played well in each season, but struggled to win anything latterly in a faltering Rangers team.

I remember him having a few hamstring problems in his second and third season.

19 hours ago, SPWF said:

I absolutely love Alfie, but I don’t think he’s a better player than Jelavic. At times he looks it, but his form’s too patchy. He needs to nail his consistency to be properly considered as the best since McCoist IMO. 

On the other hand, Morelos scored the same number of goals for us in Europe last season as Jelavic scored in Europe in his entire career.

19 hours ago, SPWF said:

I absolutely love Alfie, but I don’t think he’s a better player than Jelavic. At times he looks it, but his form’s too patchy. He needs to nail his consistency to be properly considered as the best since McCoist IMO. 

Is that only because we have far less of Jelavic's form to compare against. Morelos has been here almost four years. Jelavic didn't even last half that time.

19 hours ago, trueblue 64 said:

Some people start threads just for likes, others start them just for the blue pound.

19 hours ago, The Dude said:

Well, I'm hardly likely to be inundated with likes and in the seven years of writing/podcasting etc I've yet to ask for a single donation, sold a bit of merch or hidden anything behind a paywall/subscription service so I'm not sure which category I fall into.

Take it I'm not getting an answer then.

1 hour ago, Dennis Reynolds said:

I don't even think it is that close anymore TBH

Boyd and Morelos isn't a conversation 

Loved Jelavic but he really only had one good season with us, done little in Europe, I expect Morelos will have a far superior career to him after he leaves us as well. 

Prso - warrior but again really only one great season, he was plagued by injury the rest of the time. 

Mols - injuries sadly.

All also played in far superior sides, if those players had been replaced by Morelos he would have quite easily helped those sides play at the same level, Prso aside I don't think any of those mentioned could have performed to the level Morelos has in the sides he has played in. 

Arguably prso didnt play in a far superior side, we had guys like namouchi, malcolm, ross, gavin rae, novo, burke playing weekly in the prso team

20 minutes ago, JamieD said:

On the other hand, Morelos scored the same number of goals for us in Europe last season as Jelavic scored in Europe in his entire career.

You'd need to compare opponents before putting the two of them together though, when he played for rapid i doubt they were starting in qualifying round 1 against fishermen and farmers, 

Not taking away from morelos scoring for us, can only score against whats in front of you, but id expect jealvic to have faced consistently higher level opponents than morelos in europe (might be wrong, just a quick guess) 

1 minute ago, Jimbeamjunior said:

Arguably prso didnt play in a far superior side, we had guys like namouchi, malcolm, ross, gavin rae, novo, burke playing weekly in the prso team

I don't think it is that arguable TBH. 

In 04/05 when we won the league we had a side with Klos, Boumsong and Ferguson playing for us for decent chunks of the season - 2 of those players could make a decent case for being part of a greatest ever Rangers squad and are a country mile away from what we have just now. 

Even in 05/06 when we were fucking shit, it was a famed summer when we signed players who had Captained sides like Monaco, Marseille and PSG, the side now punches well above their weight relative to wages and spends on squads during that time 

1 hour ago, Inigo said:

When novo fell off a cliff form wise just towards the end of helicopter sunday season, prso literally carried us to the title, morelos has had some stunning games for us, but i doubt any will beat the team carrying performance prso gave up against the sheep up north the day after hibs scudded the tarriers at parkhead, we needed a win to even remotely have a chance at the title, and the big man carried us all game, 

Novo never really recovered his early rangers career form which was a shame, some belter goals and big goals for hs under walter though 

1 minute ago, Jimbeamjunior said:

When novo fell off a cliff form wise just towards the end of helicopter sunday season, prso literally carried us to the title, morelos has had some stunning games for us, but i doubt any will beat the team carrying performance prso gave up against the sheep up north the day after hibs scudded the tarriers at parkhead, we needed a win to even remotely have a chance at the title, and the big man carried us all game, 

Novo never really recovered his early rangers career form which was a shame, some belter goals and big goals for hs under walter though 

Iirc Novo was switched to right wing near the end of the 05 season and done well.

1 minute ago, Dennis Reynolds said:

I don't think it is that arguable TBH. 

In 04/05 when we won the league we had a side with Klos, Boumsong and Ferguson playing for us for decent chunks of the season - 2 of those players could make a decent case for being part of a greatest ever Rangers squad and are a country mile away from what we have just now. 

Even in 05/06 when we were fucking shit, it was a famed summer when we signed players who had Captained sides like Monaco, Marseille and PSG, the side now punches well above their weight relative to wages and spends on squads during that time 

3 players doesnt make a squad or a team though, for every boumsong prso played with i give you andrews, for every ferguson i give you malcolm, for every klos i give you letizi

Even when we signed hemdani, fanfan, and rodriguez, we still went and used guys like jeffers, bernard, nieto, mladenovic, and maniero

Waterreus, Hutton, Rodriguez, Kyrgiakos, Murray, Burke (Novo 87), Ferguson, Hemdani, Namouchi, Buffel (Kris Boyd 64), Lovenkrands.
Subs Not Used: Klos, Ricksen, Bernard, Andrews, Gavin Rae.

Thats the team that drew 1-1 with villareal away in the CL last 16 (prso was suspended) our current team absolutely smash them

5 minutes ago, Jimbeamjunior said:

You'd need to compare opponents before putting the two of them together though, when he played for rapid i doubt they were starting in qualifying round 1 against fishermen and farmers, 

Not taking away from morelos scoring for us, can only score against whats in front of you, but id expect jealvic to have faced consistently higher level opponents than morelos in europe (might be wrong, just a quick guess) 

Jelavic actually had an excellent European record with Rapid, but he only scored one European goal after the age of 25, which is entirely to do with the fact he never played again for a team that could actually get into Europe, except for one season in Hull, when he was mostly a sub. It's entirely possible Morelos could fall off to the same extent, I suppose.

In any case, Morelos has scored for us against Porto, Feyenoord, Young Boys, Benfica etc, whereas in Jelavic's best season for Rapid he was scoring against absolute dross like Tony Mowbray's Celtic :craphead:

2 minutes ago, Jimbeamjunior said:

Not sure, i mind his miss first half at easter road when he hit the post 🙈🙈

Made up for it in the second half at least.

Near the end of the season Arveladze and Prso was the partnership. Buffel came to life in the run in as well.

19 minutes ago, Jimbeamjunior said:

3 players doesnt make a squad or a team though, for every boumsong prso played with i give you andrews, for every ferguson i give you malcolm, for every klos i give you letizi

Even when we signed hemdani, fanfan, and rodriguez, we still went and used guys like jeffers, bernard, nieto, mladenovic, and maniero

Waterreus, Hutton, Rodriguez, Kyrgiakos, Murray, Burke (Novo 87), Ferguson, Hemdani, Namouchi, Buffel (Kris Boyd 64), Lovenkrands.
Subs Not Used: Klos, Ricksen, Bernard, Andrews, Gavin Rae.

Thats the team that drew 1-1 with villareal away in the CL last 16 (prso was suspended) our current team absolutely smash them

3 players don't make a squad, but when they are that good, it fucking helps.... that was also in relation to one isolated season of 04/05, re the rest.... 

The Marvin Andrews who was outstanding in 04/05 - like literally fantastic, that Marvin Andrews? Did his performances tail off after that, sure, who is to say Balogun for instance isn't just the Andrews of then, but for that one season he was brilliant for us. 

You are blending across numerous seasons and squads with those you mentioned... try doing that with Morelos.... 

During the course of this season Morelos has played with players the ilk of Barker and Zungu - last season it was Edumndson, Jones and Halliday, the seasons previous it has been players like Pena, Herrera and Dodo.... Morelos has been part of some of the worst squads we have taken into a domestic season over the course of his time with us the general standard Prso played with was far better... you have literally shown evidence of that.... 

Of that squad you mention, you include a player who moved to Spurs for 9 million, a player who had 60 caps for Greece and would play for Liverpool, a CB who played in a CL Final, a midfield that has 2 players who were key elements in us making a Europa League Final. A CL winning keeper on the bench...THAT is the side you are saying is evidence of Prso playing in shit teams....

13 minutes ago, JamieD said:

Jelavic actually had an excellent European record with Rapid, but he only scored one European goal after the age of 25, which is entirely to do with the fact he never played again for a team that could actually get into Europe, except for one season in Hull, when he was mostly a sub. It's entirely possible Morelos could fall off to the same extent, I suppose.

In any case, Morelos has scored for us against Porto, Feyenoord, Young Boys, Benfica etc, whereas in Jelavic's best season for Rapid he was scoring against absolute dross like Tony Mowbray's Celtic :craphead:

😂😂

It's a hard one. He's not the best goalscorer out of the names mentioned, he's not the most skilful out the names mentioned and he literally has no medals (yet) compared to those mentioned yet there is undeniably something about him which means he can be spoken among those names.

As good as he is I think Morelos at times gets over inflated by our support because we haven't had any quality in between people like Jelavic and him and its been such a long time between drinks on that front. He is for a great number of younger supporters the only proper Rangers hero they would have known.

There are a large number of blots on his copybook - missing barrel loads of chances against Celtic in big games is one; such as the 0-0 game at Parkhead in 17/18, the 3-2 defeat in 17/18 which killed off our title chances, getting sent off in what was effectively a title decider in 18/19, missed a number of chances and a penalty in the LC final.

I personally don't think he's done enough for the club to be considered above any of those players yet. 

2 minutes ago, Dennis Reynolds said:

The Marvin Andrews who was outstanding in 04/05 - like literally fantastic, that Marvin Andrews? Did his performances tail off after that, sure, who is to say Balogun for instance isn't just the Andrews of then, but for that one season he was brilliant for us. 

You are blending across numerous seasons and squads with those you mentioned... try doing that with Morelos.... 

During the course of this season Morelos has played with players the ilk of Barker and Zungu - last season it was Edumndson, Jones and Halliday, the seasons previous it has been players like Pena, Herrera and Dodo.... Morelos has been part of some of the worst squads we have taken into a domestic season over the course of his time with us the general standard Pros played with was far better... you have literally shown evidence of that.... 

Of that squad you mention, you include a player who moved to Spurs for 9 million, a player who had 60 caps for Greece and would play for Liverpool, a CB who played in a CL Final, a midfield that has 2 players who were key elements in us making a Europa League Final. A CL winning keeper on the bench...THAT is the side you are saying is evidence of Prso playing in shit teams....

That same squad that finished 3rd in the spfl that season, behind hearts? 

Morelos has played with some stinking players, however the bulk of the he has been with since gerrard came and is going to win the league with them, 

Compare the players in each positions from back then till now, hutton and Ferguson are probably the only two to get into our team now, 

Wattereus over shagger, nope 

Hutton over tav, aye

Kyrgiakos over goldson, nope

Rodruiguez over helander, nope

Smith over barisic, nope

Hemdani over davis, doubtful

Ferguson over jack, aye defo

Burke over hagi/aribo, no chance

Buffel over kent, no chance

Namouchi over hagi/aribo, no chance

Lovenkrands over morelos, no chance 

On the bench, klos beats mclaughlin, ricksen over kamara, not for me, bernard, andrews and gavin rae over guys like roofe, itten, balogun, not even close

Yeah we had a 60cap greek defender, a CL finalist centre half etc but how they were for us at the time is the thing, Rodruiguez was honking, fanfan was abysmal, Hemdani couldnt handle the rough of scotland, 

5 minutes ago, McEwan's Lager said:

It's a hard one. He's not the best goalscorer out of the names mentioned, he's not the most skilful out the names mentioned and he literally has no medals (yet) compared to those mentioned yet there is undeniably something about him which means he can be spoken among those names.

As good as he is I think Morelos at times gets over inflated by our support because we haven't had any quality in between people like Jelavic and him and its been such a long time between drinks on that front. He is for a great number of younger supporters the only proper Rangers hero they would have known.

There are a large number of blots on his copybook - missing barrel loads of chances against Celtic in big games is one; such as the 0-0 game at Parkhead in 17/18, the 3-2 defeat in 17/18 which killed off our title chances, getting sent off in what was effectively a title decider in 18/19, missed a number of chances and a penalty in the LC final.

I personally don't think he's done enough for the club to be considered above any of those players yet. 

I grew up watching McCoist and have been going to Ibrox for just shy of 30 years.

Archived