Jump to content

Could UEFA pressure on Govt help us?


Recommended Posts

Glasgow and Dublin are at risk of being dropped from the list of host cities for Euro 2020 due to the strict Covid-19 regulations in the two countries.

The cities are two of 12 locations being used for this summer's rescheduled European Championships, alongside Amsterdam, Baku, Bilbao, Bucharest, Budapest, Copenhagen, London, Munich, Rome and St Petersburg.

Glasgow's Hampden Park and Dublin's Aviva Stadium are each supposed to host four games during the tournament: three group stage fixtures and one last 16 tie.

However, according to BBC Sport, the pair are at risk of being cut from the pool of host cities as they are yet to provide assurances that supporters will be permitted back in stadiums in time for the tournament's June start date.

The tournament kicks off on 11 June at the Stadio Olimpico in Rome, and Uefa wants each host nation to submit their plans - including detailing the return of fans - by 7 April.

Despite domestic games across Europe all currently being played behind closed doors as a result of the pandemic, Uefa are keen to ensure that stadiums at the European Championships are 25% full.

Both the Irish and Scottish governments are taking a stricter approach to Covid-19 than the other Euro 2020 host nations. The Irish government's restrictions on supporters will remain in place until 5 April. 

Dublin's Aviva Stadium is scheduled to host four games | Catherine Ivill/Getty Images

The British government have pencilled in up to 10,000 spectators returning to stadiums in England in mid-May, and unlimited numbers from 21 June. However, this does not apply to stadiums in Scotland.

London's Wembley Stadium is due to host seven matches at the tournament, including the semi finals and finals. Prime Minister Boris Johnson had offered to host the whole thing, but logistically this appears unlikely. However, the capital could be trusted with more games if current host cities can no longer host their scheduled fixtures.

According to the Daily Mail, Bilbao is also at risk of being dropped from the list of host cities due to similar concerns to that of Glasgow and Dublin.

BlueHatBlueDay likes this
Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Brackley Bluenose said:

Glasgow and Dublin are at risk of being dropped from the list of host cities for Euro 2020 due to the strict Covid-19 regulations in the two countries.

The cities are two of 12 locations being used for this summer's rescheduled European Championships, alongside Amsterdam, Baku, Bilbao, Bucharest, Budapest, Copenhagen, London, Munich, Rome and St Petersburg.

Glasgow's Hampden Park and Dublin's Aviva Stadium are each supposed to host four games during the tournament: three group stage fixtures and one last 16 tie.

However, according to BBC Sport, the pair are at risk of being cut from the pool of host cities as they are yet to provide assurances that supporters will be permitted back in stadiums in time for the tournament's June start date.

The tournament kicks off on 11 June at the Stadio Olimpico in Rome, and Uefa wants each host nation to submit their plans - including detailing the return of fans - by 7 April.

Despite domestic games across Europe all currently being played behind closed doors as a result of the pandemic, Uefa are keen to ensure that stadiums at the European Championships are 25% full.

Both the Irish and Scottish governments are taking a stricter approach to Covid-19 than the other Euro 2020 host nations. The Irish government's restrictions on supporters will remain in place until 5 April. 

Dublin's Aviva Stadium is scheduled to host four games | Catherine Ivill/Getty Images

The British government have pencilled in up to 10,000 spectators returning to stadiums in England in mid-May, and unlimited numbers from 21 June. However, this does not apply to stadiums in Scotland.

London's Wembley Stadium is due to host seven matches at the tournament, including the semi finals and finals. Prime Minister Boris Johnson had offered to host the whole thing, but logistically this appears unlikely. However, the capital could be trusted with more games if current host cities can no longer host their scheduled fixtures.

According to the Daily Mail, Bilbao is also at risk of being dropped from the list of host cities due to similar concerns to that of Glasgow and Dublin.

I don't think there's a rats chance that this tournament will go ahead in its planned format. As for unlimited numbers in England from 21 June, someone's obviously got a crystal ball. Uefa are shitting it as no fans equates to no topped up pension pots.  

barrymorrison1 likes this
Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, BlueHatBlueDay said:

I don't think there's a rats chance that this tournament will go ahead in its planned format. As for unlimited numbers in England from 21 June, someone's obviously got a crystal ball. Uefa are shitting it as no fans equates to no topped up pension pots.  

I think it’s pretty crazy to think they’ll proceed with the pan European idea as well mate, I just don’t see that getting off the ground. Given how much they’re cracking through the vaccines I actually think there’s a solid chance England might get it if they want fans back in and everything doesn’t go tits up. 

BlueHatBlueDay likes this
Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Brackley Bluenose said:

I think it’s pretty crazy to think they’ll proceed with the pan European idea as well mate, I just don’t see that getting off the ground. Given how much they’re cracking through the vaccines I actually think there’s a solid chance England might get it if they want fans back in and everything doesn’t go tits up. 

That's the format that would make sense. One country, 6 stadiums, 6 holding pens. Too much self interest from not only EUFA, but many of the named host cities too.  

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Upcoming Events

    • 18 April 2021 14:00 Until 16:00
      0  
      Rangers v celtic
      Ibrox Stadium
      Scottish Cup
×
×
  • Create New...