Steven Gerrard

Raligt

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, .Williamson. said:

No chance he leaves before he can actually lift the trophy and I’d be surprised if he doesn’t want a crack at the champions league with us.

When he goes he goes, next manager won’t have a rebuild and we are champions again so Gerrard goes with my blessing 

Spot on mate. 

I reckon a manger will have a decent rebuild on TBH, but they will do it from a place of strength as we have a load of football assets that are going to see us loaded with cash if we really want to be.

Kent, Kamara, Morelos, Goldson on a new deal, Barisic, Aribo you are talking a kick in the arse off 60 million worth of talent, chuck in potential CL cash there could be some budget their for a new manager if the board really wanted it to be (even after further potential spend from Gerrard). 

If/when a new manager comes in I expect a few players to move on as they are disciples of Gerrard as such, the likes of Goldson, Aribo, Kent for instance, I don't think they would have came to us under another coach, could see them looking to move back to England when he departs. 

When he does go,lessons need to be learned for future appointments. It was clear to all that he had the big club mentality and a hunger for success from the first day. It was then helped by the fact he turned out to be a good man manager,and came with an extremely capable backroom staff.  He had the presence to make demands on the board, that others might not have gotten away with. He also seems to share that Walter Smith characteristic..here's a nice guy,but you dare not fuck with him.

All that, and to think...we nearly had Derek McInnes.

I doubt Liverpool sack Klopp, he's ended their League drought and added another CL. Though if Germany have a poor Euro's, Klopp leaving to become the national team manager could make sense and Liverpool won't fight it coming off a poor season with a replacement ready in waiting. It's going to be a long summer.

2 hours ago, Dennis Reynolds said:

He is fucking great, probably something some won't agree with but I actually think given resources and expectations on arrival his work has now passed what Advocaat did and Smith did first time around.

Smith 3IAR era is probably the only period of management I have seen as a body of work that surpasses Gerrards. 

I agree and beating Smith's second spell success should be firmly in his sights.

The real marker for me is look at how individuals have improved under this coaching team. Smith for all his success didn't develop players in the same way.

3 hours ago, Brackley Bluenose said:

Im actually starting to flap a little now with Liverpool’s form. Will be gutted if he goes this soon. Hope to fuck he’s still here next season.

Aye klopp hauling salah off was a bit worrying. Don't want those two having a falling out and then klopp leaving. 

1 hour ago, .Williamson. said:

Mate that’s not a rebuild, that’s you making up a fictional scenario and selling our main players and pretending we won’t be buying anyone at the same time :lol:

The older guys you mentioned at the start aren’t a major issue either. McGregor is the only one we should be actively looking to find a replacement for in the next year or so, depending on when he decides to retire. 

This is the side that Murty seen get battered in a cup semi final against Celtic in 2018. This was a rebuild

4BEE29DA-DFB1-4B19-A550-E9805D629423.jpeg

It’s not really a fictional scenario though.

We have a lot of players who are veterans who will need replaced.

Some of our better players are going to leave because that’s our business model. Ross Wilson has already been open about that. 

Yes we will obviously sign players to replace them, but there’s no guarantee they will be as good as the players they are signed to replace.

It’s going to be a rebuild from a position of strength, but it’ll still be a bit of a rebuild regardless and I hope Gerrard stays around to over see it.

32 minutes ago, M0NTANA said:

I doubt Liverpool sack Klopp, he's ended their League drought and added another CL. Though if Germany have a poor Euro's, Klopp leaving to become the national team manager could make sense and Liverpool won't fight it coming off a poor season with a replacement ready in waiting. It's going to be a long summer.

There’s no desire from most Liverpool fans for him to even be sacked yet. 

Winning trophies means nothing in football if the following season isn’t going as planned though. Leicester and Ranieri is the best example of how ridiculous modern football is on that front 

2 minutes ago, .Williamson. said:

There’s no desire from most Liverpool fans for him to even be sacked yet. 

Winning trophies means nothing in football if the following season isn’t going as planned though. Leicester and Ranieri is the best example of how ridiculous modern football is on that front 

Winning trophies is everything in football if you are not a tin pot club. They might get to a point where they believe he is no longer the right candidate to bring trophies to the club, but the end goal for Liverpool will always be to win the league. They will likely evaluate if Klopp can repeat that feat, but it is likely that they conclude that injuries have been more of a bearing on their poor form than Klopp. I've not see anyone say they want him out either, my point is he may feel he's mentally fatigued, and if the German job was offered, might suit him more. Liverpool imo would be unlikely to stand in his way given he has achieved what they employed him to do, and they could replace him without too much of an upset of balance. 

Aye I can only see it being minor alterations in the summer.. 

I think we will go all in to keep as many players as we can, we are selling them a decent promise as well - CL, stadium with fans to appreciate their work, a few wee wage increases and the promise of give us a crack at the CL and we will work with you to get an exit.

I could even see Morelos staying, then you are down to alterations. 

McGregor will stay, Zungu goes but his minutes are easy replaced, Defoe again, hardly a miss as such we can find someone to take his minutes and back Itten to improve again. I could see us just making a couple of additions at decent value, a 5 or 6 million pound midfielder to help us kick on again and a 3rd choice forward, we tidied up the squad quite well in January.

17 minutes ago, scottyc06 said:

Talk that we are going into a rebuild next season is fucking madness 🤦‍♂️ 

Nobody said that we needed a full rebuild for certain though. I said we ‘might’ need ‘a bit of a rebuild’, and I maintain that we might, but I do think we will 100% be looking at one the Summer after next.

If McGregor & Davis leave, Tav & Goldson say they won’t sign new contracts and we sell either Morelos or Kamara to help us balance the books then we are potentially losing five players from the starting 11.

Granted that is the absolute worst case scenario and collectively all of those things are unlikely to happen, but any one of those things could happen and all of them would be huge and leave us with a difficult task to replace them.

4 hours ago, .Williamson. said:

It’s heading in a bad direction for Klopp atm but I would be astonished if Gerrard has put 3 years of his life into winning us the league and doesn’t want to stay to actually lift it :lol:

When Liverpool come calling Gerrard will be away, they’re his club and he’s never turning them down. I think it’s a bit early for him to go there but aye, he’s not turning them down when it happens 

Where is this nonsense talk coming from?

Every season a few players leave and some come in; next season will be the same. Some of the starting 11 may go but we have people in the squad who are improving and will step up and into the first 11, and then we can go into the transfer market. This is a constant and ongoing process, we are not having a major rebuild. Lots of players will want to stay as this one of the best teams in Europe, Champions League football next season and a chance to have a career defining season ahead.

4 hours ago, .Williamson. said:

No chance he leaves before he can actually lift the trophy and I’d be surprised if he doesn’t want a crack at the champions league with us.

When he goes he goes, next manager won’t have a rebuild and we are champions again so Gerrard goes with my blessing 

And we as fans will clap him and thank him sincerely when he does  eventually leave.

in the knowledge that he will forever be

One of our people

And welcomed back to Ibrox in any capacity in the future

NS!

Personally I don't see Liverpool coming a-calling soon bearing in mind the Lampard/Chelsea situation. I think that their next manager will be a proven name  leaving SG to prove himself on the bigger stage, CL, and then swoop for him. Also, SG himself has said that he still has a lot to learn. In spite of our domestic success this year, it is still only the SPL

1 minute ago, miracle said:

Any thoughts on the Gaffer lifting the trophy before Tav?

Absolutely not. The players always deserve the larger part of the credit for a victory, and none more so this season than our captain and most productive player.

Archived