Steven Gerrard

Raligt

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Corky True Legend said:

Personally I don't see Liverpool coming a-calling soon bearing in mind the Lampard/Chelsea situation. I think that their next manager will be a proven name  leaving SG to prove himself on the bigger stage, CL, and then swoop for him. Also, SG himself has said that he still has a lot to learn. In spite of our domestic success this year, it is still only the SPL

A few things to that though, 

1. It's Chelsea - they have a history of making decisions other clubs typically don't in terms of time offered to a manager. Lampard was given the position in fortunate circumstances, if it wasn't for their transfer issues, he wouldn't have got it and his work at Derby was nowhere near to what Gerrard has achieved, Lampard had shown himself to be a questionable manager, it was a huge gamble. 

2. Liverpool, as a club and their owners are far closer to the money ball/innovative thought process than Chelsea, hence they went for a manager like Rodgers, they as owners have pretty specific philosophy when it comes to how they recruit, someone the profile of Gerrard is what they would normally look at it.

3. All clubs aren't going to live and die by their decisions based on Lampard and Chelsea, if that thought carried over clubs would never look at for instance, Pep, Zidane, Arteta given how they found their way into clubs. In this day and age clubs are looking at coaches and manager of a younger profile, for the most part those who have been in jobs have quite often shown a history and CV of failure. 

The only other likely candidate  I can even imagine Liverpool would consider other than Gerrard is Nagelsmann, and even taking those two into account there is just so much that weights in Gerrards favor. 

1 hour ago, Dennis Reynolds said:

The only other likely candidate  I can even imagine Liverpool would consider other than Gerrard is Nagelsmann, and even taking those two into account there is just so much that weights in Gerrards favor. 

That’s my biggest concern about it. There really isn’t a big pool of names to choose from at the moment. If Klopp and Liverpool part ways (I don’t think they will) there isn’t an obvious candidate out there.

7 hours ago, DBBTB said:

Knowing how it works up here, they’ll probably give it to Callum Davidson or David Martindale :lol:

I’m fully expecting Davidson to get the FW award. 

3 hours ago, Dennis Reynolds said:

A few things to that though, 

1. It's Chelsea - they have a history of making decisions other clubs typically don't in terms of time offered to a manager. Lampard was given the position in fortunate circumstances, if it wasn't for their transfer issues, he wouldn't have got it and his work at Derby was nowhere near to what Gerrard has achieved, Lampard had shown himself to be a questionable manager, it was a huge gamble. 

2. Liverpool, as a club and their owners are far closer to the money ball/innovative thought process than Chelsea, hence they went for a manager like Rodgers, they as owners have pretty specific philosophy when it comes to how they recruit, someone the profile of Gerrard is what they would normally look at it.

3. All clubs aren't going to live and die by their decisions based on Lampard and Chelsea, if that thought carried over clubs would never look at for instance, Pep, Zidane, Arteta given how they found their way into clubs. In this day and age clubs are looking at coaches and manager of a younger profile, for the most part those who have been in jobs have quite often shown a history and CV of failure. 

I can't think of any Scottish club manager who has gone straight from his first charge in Scotland to the EPL. For this reason I don't think Liverpool will go for SG at this point in time. However, should he lift the Europa this year or have a good run in the CL next year that is a different scenario.

58 minutes ago, Corky True Legend said:

I can't think of any Scottish club manager who has gone straight from his first charge in Scotland to the EPL. For this reason I don't think Liverpool will go for SG at this point in time. However, should he lift the Europa this year or have a good run in the CL next year that is a different scenario.

Scottish football hasn’t really had a manager like Gerrard since, well, Souness. 

15 hours ago, Dennis Reynolds said:

Scottish football hasn’t really had a manager like Gerrard since, well, Souness. 

Who failed at Liverpool and even gave a report to "The Sun". Hardly endearing to the fans so soon after Hillsborough. Everybody makes a mistake but only a fool makes the same mistake twice. That is why I think Liverpool will be more cautious as regards SG but he will end up there, just not yet.

3 hours ago, Corky True Legend said:

Who failed at Liverpool and even gave a report to "The Sun". Hardly endearing to the fans so soon after Hillsborough. Everybody makes a mistake but only a fool makes the same mistake twice. That is why I think Liverpool will be more cautious as regards SG but he will end up there, just not yet.

Literally a completely different football club since then to be fair 

3 hours ago, Corky True Legend said:

I get the feeling that you actually want Gerrard to leave. Do you think he will be here at the start of next season? A simple yes or no will suffice.

Lol Fuck sake, aye if in don’t Chuck your toys out the pram... course he will be here next season FFS - this chat has went wooosh if you think he won’t or that was ever the case of this chat...:stevieg:

13 hours ago, Dennis Reynolds said:

Lol Fuck sake, aye if in don’t Chuck your toys out the pram... course he will be here next season FFS - this chat has went wooosh if you think he won’t or that was ever the case of this chat...:stevieg:

Aye. Changed your tune now. You're the one who was making out that Klopp would go in the summer and that Gerrard would replace him. All I did was give counter arguments as to why he wouldn't. So by not agreeing with your pov I'm throwing toys out of the pram. Muppet.

2 hours ago, Corky True Legend said:

Aye. Changed your tune now. You're the one who was making out that Klopp would go in the summer and that Gerrard would replace him. All I did was give counter arguments as to why he wouldn't. So by not agreeing with your pov I'm throwing toys out of the pram. Muppet.

I’ve said nothing like that....

Genuine question here but if Klopp and Liverpool part ways who do people see as a viable alternative to Gerrard?

Nagelsmann (who is probably holding out for the Bayern job) and possibly Allegri (who would be a bad fit IMO) aside, there aren’t any other obvious, or better, candidates than Gerrard out there right now.

Archived