An Open Letter to James Tavernier and Connor Goldson

DarcheVinny

James, and Connor,

As i write this letter, I sit with my tail between my legs; I have an apology to make to both of you.

Like with any other players who sign for Rangers from England, I have always had a high expectation. Born and raised in Lancashire myself, I've always felt very connected to English players who travel across the border to wear the red, white and blue. I've always expected, or been desperate for them to do well.

The past ten years have obviously been really challenging, emotional and stressful for all Rangers supporters. Since returning to the Premiership, I personally feel that this has been magnified even more, as our historical rivals won trophy after trophy, issuing us with embarrassing thumpings in the process (primarily under the management of Mark Warburton and Pedro Caixinha).

As part of my apology, I can tell you both that it was my high expectation that drove my criticisms of you as players during your time at Rangers, prior to this season. I questioned your abilities, your mentalities and your commitment to this club. With hindsight, and after observing both of you so closely this season, I know I was completely wrong to criticise either of you. My expectations were unfairly high, based on the established and highly successful Rangers teams and players of old. Simply, I hadn't given you any opportunity to make mistakes and develop yourselves as players and Rangers men.

This is the part I'm ashamed of. As a professional coach/instructor myself, my whole career is focused on helping others to develop themselves. Without time to make mistakes and experience repeated failures, how could I expect you to just become successful and repeated champions immediately. I was looking at you with a fixed mindset. I shouldn't have done that.  It was wrong. 

I've repeatedly slagged and cursed you vocally at games and to my friends in conversations in the seasons before this one. I was wrong, and I want to say sorry to both of you.

You are unlikely to read this, but if you ever did, I'd hope that my apologies could be accepted, on the basis that I too am making mistakes and learning lessons as a fan, a person and a professional. I am still working towards my own development of a relentless growth mindset.

The relentless commitment, tireless effort, mentality and abilities that you have both shown this season have directly led to the celebrations we are all beginning to enjoy now that the 55 is nearly over the line. The leadership skills that you have developed, and examples that you have set, are now infectious for the players around you. I'm sure I'm not alone in hoping and believing that this is just the start of years of dominance, because of your own development as players, leaders and captains. 

Whenever it comes, thank you both for the 55, and whatever else comes this season and beyond. It's been years in the making and I'll be grateful and praising you both now for years ever after. 

In the words of my Brasilian friend, Marcelo, whom I began talking to after our demotion to the 3rd Division in 2012:

"Juntos somos Rangers".

Together, we are Rangers 💙

GettyImages-1276510502.jpg

Sentiment shared by many.

A couple of journeymen, one with a dicky heart, who’ve done nothing in the game - is that the best we could do?

Take a minute and think about how many dud centre backs and full backs the scum have had since these two came to Rangers.

You’ll very quickly be in double figures. They come, they fail, they go. So more are brought in.

Tavernier and Goldson have been the rocks on which this redemption has been built. Add in Davis and McGregor as guides and the base was there to build upon.

To be fair, we have been as good for them as they have for us. Would they have ever won the league, beaten so many good European teams or had such adoration had they not come here?

We have developed the knack recently of making shrewd buys in the transfer market and bringing these two in was great business.

Thank you both and well done to those who had the vision and faith to sign them.

Archived