Ally better than Gazza?

Willis

I'm watching the Super Ally video that came out in the 90s, I must have watched it 100 times as a kid

Early in the video theres a clip of Davie Cooper talking about how much of a character Ally was and says "he's probably the Gazza of scottish football because of his personality, but i think Ally's a better player than him actually"

Was he right?

The clip is at 4m30s

Great video, Allys birds maw thinking he's an alky cause she thought Irn Bru had alcohol in it 😅

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, sassaaaa said:

Another McCoist thread , this has fuck all to do with him. Short memories from some on here.......

Selective memory from others! 

McCoist gardening leave situation still riles me up to this day, but if it wasn't for him we'd have been hamstrung by a 5 way agreement and had titles stripped. 

6 minutes ago, Leeds_Bear said:

Selective memory from others! 

McCoist gardening leave situation still riles me up to this day, but if it wasn't for him we'd have been hamstrung by a 5 way agreement and had titles stripped. 

My post is nothing to do with mccoist as manager, its about him as a player,  you'd think at this amazing time that folk could put that petty nonsense aside 

7 minutes ago, Willis said:

My post is nothing to do with mccoist as manager, its about him as a player,  you'd think at this amazing time that folk could put that petty nonsense aside 

I know mate, just pissed me off to say this is nothing to do with him. 

25 minutes ago, sassaaaa said:

Another McCoist thread , this has fuck all to do with him. Short memories from some on here.......

What has fuck all to do with him? That man stayed to do a job nobody else was taking when we got fired into the third division. 

Like or not he was a big part of our climb through the first couple of leagues.

In terms of Ally the player his legend status at the club isn’t even debatable and it never will be.

1 minute ago, .Williamson. said:

What has fuck all to do with him? That man stayed to do a job nobody else was taking when we got fired into the third division. 

Like or not he was a big part of our climb through the first couple of leagues.

In terms of Ally the player his legend status at the club isn’t even debatable and it never will be.

The McCoist fan club in full swing , this team and what they have achieved is fuck all to do with him. 

4 minutes ago, .Williamson. said:

To answer the OP there’s no way he was a better player than Gazza.

His overall contribution to the club was greater but his ability as a player wasn’t even close to Gazza, he would happily admit that himself. Gazza was world class

I agree although I thought it was an interesting comment especially since it was Cooper that said it. Even though he does have a wee joking smile when he says it. 

Just goes to show what a player McCoist was though, never the greatest in ability or skill but an amazing ability to find the net

To be honest I'm basically just stroking it after watching the Super Ally video, this title win has me feeling like a kid again, buzzing 

2 minutes ago, Willis said:

I agree although I thought it was an interesting comment especially since it was Cooper that said it. Even though he does have a wee joking smile when he says it. 

Just goes to show what a player McCoist was though, never the greatest in ability or skill but an amazing ability to find the net

To be honest I'm basically just stroking it after watching the Super Ally video, this title win has me feeling like a kid again, buzzing 

Some goal scoring record against them 

And to be honest folk who still have a big grudge or feel like Ally was the main reason for our troubles need to get a grip. McCoist wasn't the only manager to struggle with us, even Gerrard struggled, Ally did what he could as a manager, and I was one of those shouting get him to fuck like most of us were

At the end of the day nothing about the journey went the way we dreamed it would 

But the dream came true this season in a a way that was almost better than a dream.

The best thing for us as fans is to look back and reflect on the journey. And to forget some parts and people involved and to forgive others 

One man who definitely deserves some forgiveness is Ally McCoist, he stood by us and took on one of the hardest tasks anyone at Rangers has ever taken on, and he failed, but he was part of it as much as anyone. And he was one of the main men fighting to keep our titles. Without him and a few others they would have ran us Into the ground 

I'm glad that the majority of us see him for what he is, one of the Clubs greatest heroes  who's praises have and should be forever sung

1 hour ago, sassaaaa said:

32 minutes ago, sassaaaa said:

The McCoist fan club in full swing , this team and what they have achieved is fuck all to do with him. 

Did Ally fuck yer Mrs? 

3 minutes ago, tm91 said:

I do think that Ally was a far better player than he was probably given credit for - he was more than just a poacher when he wanted to be - but aye no where near Gazza. I'd imagine that was Cooper having a bit of a laugh.

Depends what way you look at it,  Gazza was clearly the more talented and attractive players in terms of skill, but Ally scored more than 4 times more goals domestically in his career than Gazza, granted the competition was different. I think Gazza was special for his sheer talent as a player while Ally was special for his sheer dedication and love for his club.

Every time Ally scored you could see how much it meant to him. 

Ally - In terms of overall contribution and goals 

Gazza - in terms of skill and vision

and it’s a draw in the daft as a brush stakes 

if Gazza had played the same amount of games as Ally then I think he would hold legendary god like status. 

both helped with 55 

32 minutes ago, Willis said:

And to be honest folk who still have a big grudge or feel like Ally was the main reason for our troubles need to get a grip. McCoist wasn't the only manager to struggle with us, even Gerrard struggled, Ally did what he could as a manager, and I was one of those shouting get him to fuck like most of us were

At the end of the day nothing about the journey went the way we dreamed it would 

But the dream came true this season in a a way that was almost better than a dream.

The best thing for us as fans is to look back and reflect on the journey. And to forget some parts and people involved and to forgive others 

One man who definitely deserves some forgiveness is Ally McCoist, he stood by us and took on one of the hardest tasks anyone at Rangers has ever taken on, and he failed, but he was part of it as much as anyone. And he was one of the main men fighting to keep our titles. Without him and a few others they would have ran us Into the ground 

I'm glad that the majority of us see him for what he is, one of the Clubs greatest heroes  who's praises have and should be forever sung

Fuckin best post ever on RM.well said Willis.

No Surrender 

Rab 

Probably comes down to that old argument ‘you can’t compare players that play in different positions’  

Had McCoist on the back of my top and a kid and loved him as he was the one getting the goals I thought he was the best player, but as I got older I appreciated what Gazza did more.

1 hour ago, .Williamson. said:

To answer the OP there’s no way he was a better player than Gazza.

His overall contribution to the club was greater but his ability as a player wasn’t even close to Gazza, he would happily admit that himself. Gazza was world class

Gazza remains the most talented player to come out of the uk in the last 40years. Its no insult to McCoist to say he wasnt as good. They way it ended for McCoist soured things for a lot of people. Lets face it, he wasnt a coach and some of the football played was desperate. But with the passing of time you look back and appreciate the job he did in near impossible circumstances. You can bet he was as happy as any of us at the weekend and its daft to say he didnt play his part in the club getting back to the top.

Archived