Ally better than Gazza?

Willis

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ally is a true Rangers legend and will rightly go down in the history books as one of the greatest players to serve our club, but for me as good as he was, he wasn’t in the same class as Gazza. In terms of natural ability Gazza was genuine world class. 

Ally McCoist is a Rangers Legend. As is Gazza! Paul Gascoigne trumps him on the pitch.

McCoist was never a manager, however he deserves no heat for what he has done. The politics at the time was poisonous. He's served our club well.

However dare I say it, managerially he is on the same peg as lennon. Neither are football managers. 

Both very different in terms of where they played on the park but if you looked at both players at their very best then I'd say it would be a close call who was actually the better player.

Ally was very clinical in front of goal even if it did take him a few chances to show just how clinical he was, scoring goals was like a drug to him, he might not beat Gazza on natural ability but easily beats him on luck always being in the right place, popping up with last minute winners and coming off the bench to score an overhead kick in a cup final.

They complimented each other perfectly as Gazza was not a lazy player not a luxury in the team he grafted and hustled in midfield, like Cooper his intelligence on the ball was often a level above his team mates, as Rangers fans we were very fortunate to see these two players at the same club at the same time.

22 hours ago, .Williamson. said:

To answer the OP there’s no way he was a better player than Gazza.

His overall contribution to the club was greater but his ability as a player wasn’t even close to Gazza, he would happily admit that himself. Gazza was world class

I have to say I think Gaza was the better player but Ally was also world class - winning the golden boot twice is no mean feat. Gazza could do wonderful things but Ally did the thing that people pay money for, score goals. And score goals by the bucket load. Any ‘best’ Rangers 11 in wil have Ally and Gazza in. 

You can’t compare them. Played in completely different positions. Gazza remains one of the best players I’ve even seen, and it was a privilege to see him in our shirt but over the piece McCoist made a far greater contribution to Rangers. Also, although obviously remembered tor his goals McCoist was a far better footballer than he was given credit for. His movement and positioning off the ball was outstanding, as was his runs into channels. He also had decent work rate and was an accurate passer and crosser who made a good few goals from runs in the channels. Watching him play in that team as a child will always be some of my happiest memories of watching us. 

On 10/03/2021 at 07:43, .Williamson. said:

His overall contribution to the club was greater but his ability as a player wasn’t even close to Gazza, he would happily admit that himself. Gazza was world class

Defo this.

Love Ally in a way I've never loved any other Rangers player.

But Gazza was special. 

On 10/03/2021 at 07:43, .Williamson. said:

Hard to disagree.

Ally better than Gazza? 
maybe as a manager but only because gazza never was one then again neither was ally.

as players? 

Ally superb goalscorer

Gazza superb player.

question? 
who would be recognised by fans worldwide who are not Rangers fans

Archived