Carlos Cuellar

ShaneRalfRoss

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, mitre_mouldmaster said:

Hutton had a great half season with us after being fairly meh for a while.

Tavs first half of this season was the best we have ever had from a full back. It was miles ahead of Huttons.

Tavs overall contribution for the team, along with being our captain moves him clearly into the lead.

What a load of shite mate :lol: 

Just now, ForeverAndEver said:

What a load of shite mate :lol: 

Just now, Inigo said:

Tav, good as he is, has never been unplayable. Hutton was.

Got to agree lads.

Tavs numbers in terms of goals and assists are excellent, but in terms of sheer talent for me Hutton in those 6 months was better than anything I've seen since.

I'll go as far as saying only numan was more impressive at full back in the last 25 years imo

Just now, Dennis Reynolds said:

Cuellar and the midfield would all walk into this team, that midfield unit in Europe was excellent. 

I much prefer this team TBH, I prefer the style of play and have a bit more belief in them. 

Wee Davis now is better than Davis of then imo 

36 minutes ago, RFC55 said:

Got to agree lads.

Tavs numbers in terms of goals and assists are excellent, but in terms of sheer talent for me Hutton in those 6 months was better than anything I've seen since.

I'll go as far as saying only numan was more impressive at full back in the last 25 years imo

Yup. For that 6 months I think Hutton was better than Numan. Although, overall, I think Numan is our best fullback in my time.

3 minutes ago, RFC55 said:

Wee Davis now is better than Davis of then imo 

I think that statement is wild TBH, Davis has been excellent this season, but he was a fucking incredible football player back then as well and had more pace - for as good as he has been this season he hasn't got a display like Lisbon away in him. 

2 minutes ago, Straight-Edge-Loyal said:

Hutton for that 6 months or so was the best right back in the world 

Genuinely don't think this is as wild a statement as some might think.

13 minutes ago, Dennis Reynolds said:

I think that statement is wild TBH, Davis has been excellent this season, but he was a fucking incredible football player back then as well and had more pace - for as good as he has been this season he hasn't got a display like Lisbon away in him. 

He doesnt need to. He has a different role in the team... Which one do I prefer?? Hard to say.

2 minutes ago, johanhentze said:

He doesnt need to. He has a different role in the team... Which one do I prefer?? Hard to say.

I would still rather than that one personally, a midfielder capable of displays like that mentioned in Lisbon and the League Cup Final in 2011 is probably still even now the template of a midfielder that could take the side on even further. 

Just now, Smell the hotdog said:

Kamara over Thomson all day.

100%. It's whether you play Davis, Kamara and Thomson as a 3rd. For some games probably. Maybe not for run of the mill SPL games though.

Jack has a shout too now.

22 minutes ago, Dennis Reynolds said:

He was great for us back then but his consistency levels have been upped as he's got older.

He can control games a lot better now than he did back then imo 

It's an interesting debate.

Football has changed a lot though in the last 12/13 years and we did well in the Champions League against three top top level sides. The quality of those sides, Stuttgart, Barca, Lyon were unreal plus Red Star, Bremen, Sporting, Fiorentina and Zenit were all very good teams. In the last couple of seasons I think only Porto, Benfica and Galatasary come close to them in terms of player quality.

Scottish football was several levels above what we have now. Celtic were a good team back then. The beat Milan and Benfica that season and were close against Barca. They were unlucky in the San Siro in the away game from memory too. The Dundee Utd side we beat in the LC final was a good team. Hibs had Steven Fletcher, Inverness had Marius Niculae etc.

I think McGregor now is a much better keeper than he was in 07/08.

Hutton did it at a much higher level than Tav has. Hutton was brilliant at both Champions League and international level across 18 months, which Tav hasn't come anywhere near yet tbh.

Barasic is better than Papac as an all round footballer but Papac was more reliable defensively.

Weir was levels above Goldson as a defender. Kevin Thomson is probably similar to Ryan Jack. Kamara is a better player than Hemdani. Davis played a different role back then, but his influence on the team at the moment is similar to what Ferguson had back then.

Alfie and Cousin are difficult to separate, but Cousin had played for a very good Lens side before he came to us. Alfie has the potential to go on and have a far better career than Cousin did. 

Archived