Carlos Cuellar

ShaneRalfRoss

3 seasons ago Rangers were getting pumped 5-0 from Sellick , and our keeper was man of the match , now we are 11/8 favourites to win at the Piggery , just won Title 55 , not handed it like the Bheasts , and talking about actually winning the Europa League  , i think that shows you how far we have came .

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply
31 minutes ago, RFC55 said:

Got to agree lads.

Tavs numbers in terms of goals and assists are excellent, but in terms of sheer talent for me Hutton in those 6 months was better than anything I've seen since.

I'll go as far as saying only numan was more impressive at full back in the last 25 years imo

Over the piece of their Rangers career Numan was a more impressive full back, but at the highest level Hutton in Europe over that spell was at higher performance level than Numan achieved playing for us imo.

Just now, McEwan's Lager said:

Here's probably the best comparison - we got schooled last calendar year by a very good, but not outstanding Leverkusen side.

That Rangers side came close to beating a Barca side containing Thuram, Puyol, Abidal, Xavi, Iniesta, Messi, and Ronaldinho.

That miss from Ferguson from the cross, and the Cousin screamer over the bar will haunt me for the rest of my days :lol: 

8 minutes ago, McEwan's Lager said:

It's an interesting debate.

Football has changed a lot though in the last 12/13 years and we did well in the Champions League against three top top level sides. The quality of those sides, Stuttgart, Barca, Lyon were unreal plus Red Star, Bremen, Sporting, Fiorentina and Zenit were all very good teams. In the last couple of seasons I think only Porto, Benfica and Galatasary come close to them in terms of player quality.

Scottish football was several levels above what we have now. Celtic were a good team back then. The beat Milan and Benfica that season and were close against Barca. They were unlucky in the San Siro in the away game from memory too. The Dundee Utd side we beat in the LC final was a good team. Hibs had Steven Fletcher, Inverness had Marius Niculae etc.

I think McGregor now is a much better keeper than he was in 07/08.

Hutton did it at a much higher level than Tav has. Hutton was brilliant at both Champions League and international level across 18 months, which Tav hasn't come anywhere near yet tbh.

Barasic is better than Papac as an all round footballer but Papac was more reliable defensively.

Weir was levels above Goldson as a defender. Kevin Thomson is probably similar to Ryan Jack. Kamara is a better player than Hemdani. Davis played a different role back then, but his influence on the team at the moment is similar to what Ferguson had back then.

Alfie and Cousin are difficult to separate, but Cousin had played for a very good Lens side before he came to us. Alfie has the potential to go on and have a far better career than Cousin did. 

Aberdeen drew with Bayern as well

Just now, McEwan's Lager said:

Here's probably the best comparison - we got schooled last calendar year by a very good, but not outstanding Leverkusen side.

That Rangers side came close to beating a Barca side containing Thuram, Puyol, Abidal, Xavi, Iniesta, Messi, and Ronaldinho.

Can’t believe you’ve missed Henry out...

McGregor (now)

Hutton   Cuellar    Weir     Barisic

Davis (now)

Fergie (c)       Kamara    

Hagi              Morelos               Kent

Perhaps?

6 minutes ago, McEwan's Lager said:

Forgot about Aberdeen. Must be the last Scottish side to reach knockout European football outside us and them?

Aye mate, will be.

Think the only two I can remember in group stages are them that season and Hearts in 04/05 I’m sure it was

2 hours ago, B1872 said:

Barry and Cuellar 100%! However loved Kevin Thomson when he played for us so I’d bring him in to our squad tbh.

Plus Papac instead of Bassey.

Mcgregor

Tav

Goldson

Cuellar

Barisic

Ferguson

Davis

Thomson

Aribo

Morelos

Kent

That team is just... wow, bench would be strong too, but I’d say Kamara over Thomson 

2 hours ago, B1872 said:

Barry and Cuellar 100%! However loved Kevin Thomson when he played for us so I’d bring him in to our squad tbh.

Plus Papac instead of Bassey.

Mcgregor

Tav

Goldson

Cuellar

Barisic

Ferguson

Davis

Thomson

Aribo

Morelos

Kent

As good as Thomson was and could've been  He's not a patch on Kamara this season imo.

43 minutes ago, McEwan's Lager said:

Came close to beating is maybe stretching it.  I think our team just now could compete in the CL btw.

The main difference between the two teams is that this team has more talent but the 2008 team had more character imo.  They never knew when they were beaten.  Would be an interesting matchup. 

For me the joint team would be the following.  I wanted to fit in Aribo but I feel like Hagi has that something special in the final third.  The defence is hard to call too but the one 10 years ago was proven at a higher level and our current defence look shaky at times in European football for me.

GK McGregor
RB Tav/Hutton is a coin flip
CB Cuellar
CB Weir
LB Barisic

DM Ferguson
CM Kamara
CM Davis

LW Kent
CF Alfie
RW Hagi

If we played that team I actually think we would beat Zenit too.  We just had no attacking threat on the night.  No comparison between Alfredo and Cousin either... Alfredo has scored about 5 times as many goals and done it over a much longer period.

1 hour ago, McEwan's Lager said:

Over the piece of their Rangers career Numan was a more impressive full back, but at the highest level Hutton in Europe over that spell was at higher performance level than Numan achieved playing for us imo.

All about opinions , Hutton was nowhere near Numans level.

9 minutes ago, McEwan's Lager said:

We rode our luck at times, Ronaldinho hit the bar, I think Cuellar cleared one off the line and Henry missed a sitter, but Ferguson was about 3 inches away from getting a back post winner.

Puyol nearly scored a diving header from right back. He was immense even when playing out of position.

Archived