Desperate comparisons with Rangers celebrations and London protests are vile

The Dude

Rangers fans have been on the receiving end of a shameful pile on from media and politicians in Scotland following the scenes of Gers fans celebrating the club’s first title in a decade – but the desperate attempts to conflate the images seen in George Square last weekend and those from the protests in London following the murder of Sarah Everard are utterly vile.

Read more: https://www.rangersnews.uk/columnist/desperate-comparisons-with-rangers-celebrations-and-london-protests-are-vile/

An excellent article with just one wee critism. On this paragraph :

The response to the gathering of Rangers fans celebrating the club’s first title win was, largely well-policed, 

You forgot the words “in a decade” Other than that spot on

EDIT : I see you’ve edited it. Thank you 😊 

4 minutes ago, The Dude said:

Rangers fans have been on the receiving end of a shameful pile on from media and politicians in Scotland following the scenes of Gers fans celebrating the club’s first title in a decade – but the desperate attempts to conflate the images seen in George Square last weekend and those from the protests in London following the murder of Sarah Everard are utterly vile.

Read more: https://www.rangersnews.uk/columnist/desperate-comparisons-with-rangers-celebrations-and-london-protests-are-vile/

Good article, but would be good if you could include some quotes of the comparisons made. I have heard them mentioned, but not actually seen them.

7 minutes ago, The Dude said:

Much better from you Dude. Sharing your opinion on something that isn't about another newspaper article in yesterday's news is what it is all about. It doesn't matter if people share the same opinion. I hope you continue in this style.

3 hours ago, mitre_mouldmaster said:

Good article, but would be good if you could include some quotes of the comparisons made. I have heard them mentioned, but not actually seen them.

I quoted one of them from Sophy Ridge (in the police chapping doors thread)

Really good article in getting points across without resorting to the dog whistling on Twitter.

Not sure if you posted the article regarding Joan Burnie verbal assault on football but again thought it was a great article.

👍🏻

6 hours ago, The Dude said:

Read more: https://www.rangersnews.uk/columnist/desperate-comparisons-with-Rangers-celebrations-and-london-protests-are-vile/

brilliant read and to the point mate 

13 minutes ago, Bad Robot said:

Stuff like this is where the UBs let themselves down

It’s wee boy patter. ‘LCC, fuck the polis man’

If you’ve got hair on your arse and hitting out wae this you need to grow up.

21 minutes ago, Bad Robot said:

Stuff like this is where the UBs let themselves down

It is, they have said, in response to repeated harassment of UB members by the police over the last few days. Why shouldn't they vent about the now standard breaches of the ideal of policing by consent? What right do they have to come to people's homes and talk to them about offences they believe that individual might commit one day?

1 minute ago, JamieD said:

It is, they have said, in response to repeated harassment of UB members by the police over the last few days. Why shouldn't they vent about the now standard breaches of the ideal of policing by consent?

I don’t agree with the coronavirus lockdown or the police going to any fan’s doors as that’s the ‘thought police’ right there but where is the repeated harassment? 
If something really serious happens to an individual or their family they’ll look to the police for assistance, that’s a guarantee and will all they cops be bastards ?

1 minute ago, Bad Robot said:

I don’t agree with the coronavirus lockdown or the police going to any fan’s doors as that’s the ‘thought police’ right there but where is the repeated harassment? 
If something really serious happens to an individual or their family they’ll look to the police for assistance, that’s a guarantee and will all they cops be bastards ?

7 visits to somebody's door in 48 hours.

3 minutes ago, AlbertzLoyalRSC said:

They are mostly just young guys tho mate. Hardly the crime of the century.

I’m not moaning about the crime even though you might not be that chuffed if it was your trailer that got painted, I’m just pointing out it’s cringey wee guy patter.

4 minutes ago, Bad Robot said:

It's a slogan used for rhetorical power, not a literal description. I'm not a police officer but I have to hope that if I was one I would be mature enough to not be offended by "ACAB" unless I actually WAS a bastard, in which case I'd have nothing to be offended by.

Any good police officer will know that there are deep and complex issues of trust between sections of the public and the police, and any good police officer will see their job as being partly to heal that rift. A police officer who takes offence at that lack of trust, rather than being anxious to fix it, or who develops a siege mentality along with other officers because they feel "if it's us and them they want, they can have it", as seems to be the case across British forces these days, then that officer is not fit to serve.

My mum was a decorated police officer and I have never once heard her get all sensitive about anti-police sentiment. She saw enough terrible behaviour from her colleagues to understand it. 

8 minutes ago, JamieD said:

It's a slogan used for rhetorical power, not a literal description. I'm not a police officer but I have to hope that if I was one I would be mature enough to not be offended by "ACAB" unless I actually WAS a bastard, in which case I'd have nothing to be offended by.

Any good police officer will know that there are deep and complex issues of trust between sections of the public and the police, and any good police officer will see their job as being partly to heal that rift. A police officer who takes offence at that lack of trust, rather than being anxious to fix it, or who develops a siege mentality along with other officers because they feel "if it's us and them they want, they can have it", as seems to be the case across British forces these days, then that officer is not fit to serve.

My mum was a decorated police officer and I have never once heard her get all sensitive about anti-police sentiment. She saw enough terrible behaviour from her colleagues to understand it. 

It’s childish and takes some credibility away from them especially when they’ve put out a good statement.

Archived