Do you think another non old firm team will ever win the title in our lifetime?

GOAT

I know we’ve both had periods of domination  like this before and then the odd spell for other teams, hibs and hearts 50’s, Aberdeen and Dundee Utd 80’s.  But do you think another team other than us or them will ever win it in your life time?

Genuinely can’t see it unless we end up in another league somewhere or a rich cunt buys one of these teams and invests some money in them. 

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, the sliver fox said:

Possibly, but the only non Old Firm team that would have any realistic chance of winning, imo, would be the tarriers (they are not half of the Old Firm remember!)

😁🤣

I can’t see it myself but it’s not impossible. Clearly it would take huge investment in management and players, huge in terms of what the rest pay for transfers and on wages at least. I’ve often wondered this myself. To be honest nobody is really even close to breaking us and the scum between 1st and 2nd place, so would take a monumental turnaround. If forced between yes and no I’d say no. 

Nup. Beyond the OF not being in the league any more it would take mega rich ownership or some kind of fundamental change in how football works. Can't see either happening.

I guess the only other way would be getting ridiculously lucky and have an epic set of youngsters all come through at the same time. That's European lottery kind of odds though.

I hope to live a long time so I am going to say yes.

All that is needed is for a genuine talented manager to come into a Hibs/hearts or Aberdeen and have a good season.... remember when Burley was at Hearts and started one season on fire? If he hadn't been an alky and clashed with Romanov then that could have been a squeaky bum season. 

Leicester winning the EPL showed what can be achieved if the stars align  

11 minutes ago, Raligt said:

I think it could but will take a monumental fuck up between us and them to allow it.

When Leicester won Man City, Man U, Chelsea, Arsenal, Tottenham, Liverpool were all poor. It was a once in a lifetime occurrence. In SPL all it would take would be two fuckups. If Hibs or Aberdeen were worth shit they’d be breathing down septic’s neck this year.

15 minutes ago, BuffaloUSAGers said:

When Leicester won Man City, Man U, Chelsea, Arsenal, Tottenham, Liverpool were all poor. It was a once in a lifetime occurrence. In SPL all it would take would be two fuckups. If Hibs or Aberdeen were worth shit they’d be breathing down septic’s neck this year.

Don’t think your giving Leicester the credit they deserve at all.  They had a brilliant team that season and it surprised everyone.  

Would take a league restructure where teams only played each other home and away once - SPL teams had that option to restructure when we had our problems and went for straight greed instead of restructuring to make the league more competitive.

Currently any team outside the OF, realistically have to win a minimum of six games against us and them to have any chance to compete.  We can realistically win the league by winning a couple of OF games. When it went to four games against each of the top six a season, out was always going to end up a duopoly unless the right manager hit on a whole bunch of exceptional development players coming through at the one time - which is only going to happen once in a blue moon.

So unless we change the league structure, then no, we'll likely never see another team challenge

3 minutes ago, GOAT said:

Don’t think your giving Leicester the credit they deserve at all.  They had a brilliant team that season and it surprised everyone.  

Don’t get me wrong. It would still require a Leicester level of performance even with two fuckups. Leicester won with 81 points, which would have won the PL only five other times and none since 2011. It was pre Guardiola, pre Klopp. You are what your record says, though, and 81 points said EPL champions.

Only way I could see if happening if somebody from Aberdeen or somewhere was loaded and invested a in their team. Thing is these teams can’t hold on to their best players when the old firm or and English team come knocking. Nisbet at Hibs didn’t want to play for them when they knocked back his move in January. I wouldn’t really want to see anybody else apart from Rangers to win it but would be refreshing to see another team actually challenging. 

no but i don't think it's impossible. i'll likely be alive another 40-50 years. 10 years ago would you have imagined what lay ahead for us and what opportunity that gave to everyone else? who knows what is around the corner.... 

i hope nothing happens to us. i wish all the misfortune in the world upon that mob in the east. i don't wish any success to any other team in this country but who knows... both us + them could have a shite season and another team could have an amazing season. it's unlikely another team outside us 2 will win but it could happen.

Archived