Do you think another non old firm team will ever win the title in our lifetime?

I dont think so, i guess it depends what age you are?

Aberdeen probably passed up the best chance there when we were out of top league.

Imagine if they had showed some ambition and tried to be top dogs rather than celtics wee bitch. With Delia at the helm, had they invested heavily and really went for it it may have been possible. I seriously doubt they will have a better chance.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Possibly, but the only non Old Firm team that would have any realistic chance of winning, imo, would be the tarriers (they are not half of the Old Firm remember!)

No chance. If it was going to happen it would have been Aberdeen doing it when we were out of the league and they had one team to compete with. They should have threw the kitchen sink at it but t

I hope to live a long time so I am going to say yes.   All that is needed is for a genuine talented manager to come into a Hibs/hearts or Aberdeen and have a good season.... remember when Burle

54 minutes ago, .Williamson. said:

No chance.

If it was going to happen it would have been Aberdeen doing it when we were out of the league and they had one team to compete with. They should have threw the kitchen sink at it but they were delighted to be second 

Sorry just read your post and had said pretty much the same thing 😂😂

.Williamson. likes this

The possibility is very remote and the only way I can see it happen is the similarity to that of the 19/20 season when the cunts running the game, with plenty of games to play, 'handed' a team the league on a plate.

No chance, they had 9 years to beat one team it'll take them 100 to beat 2.

Even if some rich cunt came in and bought Aberdeen for example I just don't think they're big enough to compete with us for a full season, and even if they did get close for a couple seasons I don't think they're sustainable as "big" clubs simply cause they don't have the fansbase and are all the way up north miles away

The fact is no one sees these Clubs as worth the investment 

The best opportunity was when we were in the lower leagues, someone could have came in and bought Hibs or Aberdeen and flung money at it for a couple seasons in hope of getting a decent run in Europe bringing in more money, if any one of them had got good investment and secured second place for a couple seasons and got some European money and some more investment then they could have got to a position where they were the 2nd best team in the league above all the others,  maybe not at Celtics level but close enough to secure second every season and win a couple cups which would build their fan base. Then when Rangers came back to the league there would be more money from crowds etc, a bigger morale boost for their support by beating a weakened Rangers and splitting the OF for a few seasons.

Then it could have went a few ways - we could have came back and won the league like we have causing celtic to collapse which would be even worse for them if they finished 3rd, leaving Aberdeen to challenge them the next season which would make it more of a challenge. Or if they were strong enough when we got promoted they could have put a challenge to us which could have maybe got the taigs 10iar which would have harmed out morale.

The fortunate thing is no one wanted to invest in these clubs without Rangers in the league, and with a strong Rangers in the league then its not worth the investment cause they know they can't even get 2nd place. So these Diddy teams are basically stuck in limbo and its their own bloody fault and get it up them. They saw our downfall as a great opportunity but not one of them took advantage of it and now it's too late, and even if they had taken advantage no one would have cared anyway without us in the league 

cascadeshrimp likes this
3 hours ago, Inigo said:

Nup. Beyond the OF not being in the league any more it would take mega rich ownership or some kind of fundamental change in how football works. Can't see either happening.

I guess the only other way would be getting ridiculously lucky and have an epic set of youngsters all come through at the same time. That's European lottery kind of odds though.

hibs had a team of youth like this 10-15 years ago that reminds me of what your saying. just didnt have the manager or board to really go for it. they had a lot of good players who went on to do very well.

At some point the stars will align for someone and they’ll get a crack at it like Hearts under Burley.

Some shrewd recruitment and a manager with some standards/ambition along with us and the scum being a bit off the boil is what they’ll need. Whether anyone in this league will ever be capable of the first 2 is a different story.

From 1965 only Sir Alex, Willie Waddell and Jim McLean have lead non OF teams to the title so it’s always taken a special breed of manager to give them a chance 

tm91 likes this
4 hours ago, the sliver fox said:

Possibly, but the only non Old Firm team that would have any realistic chance of winning, imo, would be the tarriers (they are not half of the Old Firm remember!)

Looking at the points accrued this season I'd say the tarriers are about a third of the Old Firm.

8 minutes ago, GA1972 said:

At some point the stars will align for someone and they’ll get a crack at it like Hearts under Burley.

Some shrewd recruitment and a manager with some standards/ambition along with us and the scum being a bit off the boil is what they’ll need. Whether anyone in this league will ever be capable of the first 2 is a different story.

From 1965 only Sir Alex, Willie Waddell and Jim McLean have lead non OF teams to the title so it’s always taken a special breed of manager to give them a chance 

I think there's too much money involved and it's such a determining factor that even with a one of a kind manager smaller teams will struggle to compete without the finances to compete too, and can't see that happening in Scotland any time soon

Hearts should have done it in 86, were close up until the end in 98 and could have done it in 2006 if they hadn't imploded. Aberdeen could of course have done it if they had any ambition at all when we were gone, same with Dundee United (I think?) that year they sold all their best players to Celtic.

One talented manager, an ambitious chairman, us and them having an off season - it's certainly not impossible. Unlikely in any given year, sure, but not some impossible, unthinkable feat.

32 minutes ago, Mclean RFC said:

hibs had a team of youth like this 10-15 years ago that reminds me of what your saying. just didnt have the manager or board to really go for it. they had a lot of good players who went on to do very well.

True, but I don't think they had quite enough of them to seriously have a chance of winning it. Still had some serious weaknesses in their squad. Maybe another 7 or 8 and they'd have had a chance. 

Pretty sure that golden generation Hibs team never were never closer than 20 odd points behind the winners.

Mclean RFC likes this

You should have made this a poll @GOAT

I think it will probably happen some time in the next 20-30 years. There will be a freak season for someone with us and the scum having an off season.

In the modern era who thought that they would have seen a Scottish club in a European final? Then us and the scum both reach one 5 years apart.

The problem is, none of these teams have any ambition. They are happy with mediocrity. Aberdeen really should and could have challenged under the Ronny Delia era. I understand the gulf in finances but that gulf hasn't stopped us competing in Europe against much better financed clubs. Any team on their day can't beat the OF in a one off game. However, there is nothing stopping the likes of Hibs or Aberdeen consistently beating the likes of Ross county, Hamilton and the others and at least making it closer.

I think if any of the teams outwith us and the papes started putting as much effort into the games against each other as they did us they would get so much closer, how many times have we seen hibs or someone like that beat us or celtic only to go and get beat off accies the following week. Think they'd need a massive mentality shift

Any team in Scotland who has good players gets stripped for parts immediately, and it’s unlikely they would build a team to compete with investments like ours.

The only way would be big investment at another club but I don’t think anyone ever would 

4 hours ago, TartanTeddy said:

Would take a league restructure where teams only played each other home and away once - SPL teams had that option to restructure when we had our problems and went for straight greed instead of restructuring to make the league more competitive.

Currently any team outside the OF, realistically have to win a minimum of six games against us and them to have any chance to compete.  We can realistically win the league by winning a couple of OF games. When it went to four games against each of the top six a season, out was always going to end up a duopoly unless the right manager hit on a whole bunch of exceptional development players coming through at the one time - which is only going to happen once in a blue moon.

So unless we change the league structure, then no, we'll likely never see another team challenge

Pity I can't like this x 10.