Do you think another non old firm team will ever win the title in our lifetime?

GOAT

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 hours ago, Big Al 55 said:

Yes, when were invited to the Belgian/Dutch/Swedish/Saxon/Norwegian league Queens Park will win the SPL by a country mile.

Can’t wait for the day that happens to be honest. 
leave this shithole football association behind and let them try and sell Scottish football then. 

No.

Got to remember when teams did it in the past, money wasn't part of the huge gulf between the top clubs. even in the 80s. Aye, we would have had a bigger budget, but not the difference it is now. 

People mentioning Leicester City etc have to remember that aye, what they did was monumental and on a much lower budget to the perceived top 6, however they still had plenty money, plenty of genuinely world class players in the side, and the financial nous to fend off selling key players at crucial stages in a season.

If a player is on fire for a team outside the OF in this league, he gets punted at the first opportunity. only need to look 6 years back to Dundee Utd selling Armstrong and GMS to them in January. ridiculous decision that effectively relegated them because they were more interested in a quick buck than developing their good talents further and actually trying to achieve something. Stark contrast to us & Morelos, who we know has wanted away for a while, but we persuaded him to stay and achieve something before moving him on, Which has benefitted the club and the player as he will leave a champion and earn us a higher fee.

It would take Saudi levels of investment to really push us, and I can't see a billionaire prince fancying upping sticks and moving to Dundee or Aberdeen anytime soon. At least with English clubs that they can invest in, there is potential for a return on their investment, with all the riches that come with being an elite EPL club, hell even mid to lower end of the table clubs, there is a lot more to gain financially for an investor than there is in this backwater league.

No, and the last 10 years have shown it. 

In a one team league, only once did one side even threaten it (Aberdeen) and even then they were never winning it. 

In the last 10 years, the most successful club outside celtic has been St fucking Johnston, i mean for fuck sake....during the time when teams had shooty in to establish themselves as the third power Dundee United, Hibs and Hearts were literally relegated rather than having the ambition or where with all to fully establish themselves as a third force.

These teams grudge the likes of Rangers and celtic for starving them of trophies, they don't win things because as football institutions they are just fucking shite - Hibs could have someone invest 100 million in them tomorrow, and still somehow make a roarding cunt of it, failure is woven into the DNA of these football clubs 

Quite incredible that two clubs in the second cash richest city in UK, and a club in the oil capital of Europe, never found mass investment from anyone interested in taking on a football club.

Fuck them, anyway.

I think one of Hibs,Hearts, Aberdeen and to a lesser extent Dundee Utd COULD win it, but the stars would have to align. You'd need both Glasgow teams to have a serious nose dive and a seriously talented manager at the helm - someone so good he'd likely be snatched away in the middle of the project.

Realistically the best chance of it happening was when Aberdeen were finishing 2nd and Deila was in charge at celtic, and they didn't come particularly close.

It's easier in most leagues because you only have to play each big club twice.

Here, it's us and them 4 times each, so for any other club to win the league they'd have to be very very lucky and rely on 8 off days from the big clubs.

For example, if you had to double the amount of games against Real and Barca that Athletico had to play, they'd never have a chance. 

These days, no chance! The difference in finances just won't allow it to happen over a full season. The Sheepshaggers had every chance to win it when we were working our way back through the leagues and Ronny Delia was making an arse of it yet they still failed miserably. One-off matches, sure they can compete, and win domestic cups, but none of them are capable of doing it over a full league season.

Not as long as we and THEM are in the League. The financial gulf is insurmountable.

BTW, I would hope that we can get away from the Old Firm dialogue, it is the one and only thing I will ever agree with THEM, I want nothing to do with THEM or be associated in any way with THEM. 

Too many variables. Is being poor, celtic being poor at the same time. Something happening to mean that Aberdeen, hearts etc suddenly had more cash than either of the old firm, were able to attract top managers and players to go there. It all seems unlikely. It’s not even a new thing. There have been brief periods with Sir Alex and Jim McLean sides winning but they are mere blips to old firm dominance. 

20 hours ago, Inigo said:

True, but I don't think they had quite enough of them to seriously have a chance of winning it. Still had some serious weaknesses in their squad. Maybe another 7 or 8 and they'd have had a chance. 

Pretty sure that golden generation Hibs team never were never closer than 20 odd points behind the winners.

they had a very talented first team but yeah the depth was nowhere near where it has to be.

6 hours ago, Jakes Pal said:

Not as long as we and THEM are in the League. The financial gulf is insurmountable.

BTW, I would hope that we can get away from the Old Firm dialogue, it is the one and only thing I will ever agree with THEM, I want nothing to do with THEM or be associated in any way with THEM. 

I always hated that Old Firm shite, as if we were in any way associated with the begging troglydyte unwashed cunts, now I use it all the time because I know it annoys the fuck out of them. 

Not a fucking chance, a city like Aberdeen with only one club should be able to put up a better fight than they currently do, it's still a pretty rich area with all the oil etc, and you would think that someone investing in them would therefore see them having more success, but as we all know they are brutally fucking shite, and long may it continue.

When the so called new firm had their days in the 80’s the disparity between Scottish football and the leagues in England, Italy, Germany, Spain was less pronounced than today and Scottish football as a whole retained better footballers.   

The gap between Scotland and the European powers is now huge and only us and them are able to attract and retain players of sufficient calibre to challenge for the title and compete in Europe, although I have my doubts about them after this season. 

The support of other clubs around the country has collapsed.  Aberdeen and the Edinburgh clubs should be getting 15-20000 every week with the likes of the Dundee clubs, Killie and Motherwell pulling in 10000. 

But nobody is interested in the non OF clubs, not even their own fans.    Neutrals don’t want to watch Hibs v Aberdeen in a half empty stadium.  Swathes of empty seats in a non-Covid season implies shite clubs in a shite league and does nothing to promote Scottish football in general. 

In short, unless things change radically the answer is no. 

28 minutes ago, Scottywellhousetb said:

Just a wee point about Aberdeen being an oil rich city, yes it is for all the foreign cunts who own the oil fields, the only oil rich cunts from Aberdeen are the fucking taxi  drivers. 

Plenty of roughneck tank washers driving about in Evos up there

2 hours ago, Teamgers said:

Not a fucking chance, a city like Aberdeen with only one club should be able to put up a better fight than they currently do, it's still a pretty rich area with all the oil etc, and you would think that someone investing in them would therefore see them having more success, but as we all know they are brutally fucking shite, and long may it continue.

Cove Rangers now I suppose, doing reasonably well now and backed up with investment.

No football has changed in a business sense.  In the modern era Aberdeen would not be able to keep Miller McLeish Leighton Strachan and couldn’t sign McKimmie. As for Dundee United they’d never keep Hegarty Nairey etc.

Its all about money now so in my view as long as we are in the league and the mankies are no chance of anyone else winning it. 

Its clearly possible with investment, just whether any club outside the old firm could attract big foreign investment or they have a supporter who's got £20/30m to spare. It is abit sad that its only us and them who are capable of winning the league these days and the gulf in class is such that a draw for either team is seen as a disaster.

I remember Aberdeen and Dundee United winning it and Hearts coming very close but all a very long time ago.  Aberdeen in 1991 was probably the last real chance for one of them, football changed forever in 1992 and the diddy teams got left behind. 

Archived