Jump to content

next season if we want to play CL football


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

We have a quality defender to partner Goldson but we dropped him tonight

Total myth

Think we need better quality in midfield to partner Kamara. He's the one that steps it up at this level and looks better than the rest. When he doesn't look better than the rest of the midfield in the

Posted Images

2 minutes ago, Inigo said:

Think we need better quality in midfield to partner Kamara. He's the one that steps it up at this level and looks better than the rest. When he doesn't look better than the rest of the midfield in these games, we'll be ready to compete at CL level.

Similar up front. In too many of the EL games our number 10s have gone missing.

Don't necessarily agree on the number 10s part of your post, but Kamara is generally the man who stands out in our midfield at this level.

tm91 likes this
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Inigo said:

Think we need better quality in midfield to partner Kamara. He's the one that steps it up at this level and looks better than the rest. When he doesn't look better than the rest of the midfield in these games, we'll be ready to compete at CL level.

Similar up front. In too many of the EL games our number 10s have gone missing.

Kent has been the difference in many of our Europa League games.....

I think we need to temper our expectations.  The reality is that we aren't going to win the CL.  Getting to the groups is our goal and once we are there then we need a good draw, a bit of luck and to play to our maximum.  If we do that then we can finish 2nd or 3rd.  No point stressing too much about what happens when we get there.  Just win the league and get there.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, AGM_72 said:

Don't necessarily agree on the number 10s part of your post, but Kamara is generally the man who stands out in our midfield at this level.

Numerous games this season, especially away from home, Liege was one of them, I've been watching perplexed thinking 'we're winning this and our front 3 are shite'.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I think this squad can get into the CL if fully fit and stays intact.

If we want to actually compete in the CL and by that I mean pick up wins in the group stages then we arguably need to improve on most positions and not just CB. It's a totally different level which is hard to appreciate when we all know how big a club we are but it's the reality of modern football.

I really think it's important to not forget what we've done with this group of players and it's dangerous to think one or two enhancements make us a CL quality side overnight. That's a dangerous position to put this squad in and sets them up for failure.

Let's not forget where Gerrard has taken us from and then to with this group of players so for that reason I'm going to enjoy the moment then worry about the next stage of our progress in the months ahead.

55 and WATP!

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, RDB14 said:

Kent has been the difference in many of our Europa League games.....

I think we need to temper our expectations.  The reality is that we aren't going to win the CL.  Getting to the groups is our goal and once we are there then we need a good draw, a bit of luck and to play to our maximum.  If we do that then we can finish 2nd or 3rd.  No point stressing too much about what happens when we get there.  Just win the league and get there.

I don't have massive expectations. I don't expect that we'll be able to find or afford many Kamaras.

Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, Jeffrey said:

We have a quality defender to partner Goldson but we dropped him tonight

See as much as I agree with this, I don’t think that’s the point GOAT is making

A different type of centre half beside Goldson who can ping the ball about and push on Bougherra style would do us wonders

...maybe not like Big Madjid actually, my heart would keel over :lol: 

RDB14 likes this
Link to post
Share on other sites

Helander is a quality defender whose positional sense makes up for his lack of pace 9 times out of 10. I get why Gerrard opts for Balogun for certain games but Helander is too good a defender not to play whenever he's available.

We need a better midfield to properly compete at this level, and we need more from our front three. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Inigo said:

I don't have massive expectations. I don't expect that we'll be able to find or afford many Kamaras.

We have him tied down for 2 more years yet.  Hopefully he signs an extension in the Summer, one of my favourite players for us.  However, if he wont sign a new contract then we should consider offloading him in the Summer if there is interest, whilst he has 2 years left and we can get good value.  He is a good player but midfielders are much more plentiful on the market than the Morelos / Kent's of the world which would be much harder to replace.

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Inigo said:

Think we need better quality in midfield to partner Kamara. He's the one that steps it up at this level and looks better than the rest. When he doesn't look better than the rest of the midfield in these games, we'll be ready to compete at CL level.

Similar up front. In too many of the EL games our number 10s have gone missing.

Kamara is head and shoulders above anyone else in squad at this level bar peak Morelos.

 

BuffaloUSAGers and GA1972 like this
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Gascoigne8 said:

Need two centre halfs, Goldson is a disaster waiting to happen. Fuckin nowhere for the first goal

Nah.  Good striker play running across the front, Goldson is arguably our most consistent player and we have conceded fuck all in the league.  Patterson was caught in no mans land.  Marking space.  Should have been racing out to the man as soon as he got the ball to help out Arfield.  If he couldn't do that then move back a bit so he can influence the cross.  He was just left in a place he couldn't influence anything unless the cross was shite.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Essandoh said:

See as much as I agree with this, I don’t think that’s the point GOAT is making

A different type of centre half beside Goldson who can ping the ball about and push on Bougherra style would do us wonders

...maybe not like Big Madjid actually, my heart would keel over :lol: 

We all want a Bougherra style centre back until he actually starts running out from the defence... then we are all swearing at the telly :lol: 

Essandoh likes this
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, AGM_72 said:

Don't necessarily agree on the number 10s part of your post, but Kamara is generally the man who stands out in our midfield at this level.

In Prague, the 3 attacking players (Kent, Aribo and Hagi) were absolutely woeful.

Tonight Kent was excellent in first half but Aribo and Arfield were non existent.

We’re not good enough yet, at this level to be carrying 2/3 players.

That’s why we went out.

We lack quality in midfield and attack.

billscott and dougie76 like this
Link to post
Share on other sites

On tonight's evidence, and the considerable jump in class, none of our central defenders are good enough for the champions league, lack of pace is clear for all to see, distribution and composure not at that level either, stroll it domestically though, and this year that's all that matters imo. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Upcoming Events

    No upcoming events found

×
×
  • Create New...