next season if we want to play CL football

GOAT

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, STEPPS BOY said:

In Prague, the 3 attacking players (Kent, Aribo and Hagi) were absolutely woeful.

Tonight Kent was excellent in first half but Aribo and Arfield were non existent.

We’re not good enough yet, at this level to be carrying 2/3 players.

That’s why we went out.

We lack quality in midfield and attack.

Agreed on tonight and in Prague, just don't think that applies to our performances across the board in the Europa League. I think generally whoever has played there has played well until this last round. 

OP makes a good point IMO.

Can split hairs over Helander etc who is a very good defender but it's hard to get to next level in Europe and those are the positions we certainly would love to have top quality in.

We have an excellent side but there is tough competition ahead in qualifiers for CL.  A lot of these sides have great athleticism and press us incredibly well and knock us out our rhythm.  

Light years ahead of domestic teams.

Need to keep looking to improve and these European teams are the benchmark.

Just now, AGM_72 said:

Agreed on tonight and in Prague, just don't think that applies to our performances across the board in the Europa League. I think generally whoever has played there has played well until this last round. 

The Euro Campaign has been absolutely fantastic but we’re relying, almost exclusively, on a near 37 yr old and Kamara to carry us through every game in midfield and when Morelos plays we play (Benfica, Antwerp, Antwerp)

i’ll say it till i’m blue in face, we absolutely are crying out for a natural right sided attacker - not a converted striker (Roofe), Not a converted 10 (Hagi) or not a left sided midfielder who gets shoehorned into that position (Aribo)

57 minutes ago, GOAT said:

We need a quality defender to partner Goldson.

a quality defensive ball winning midfielder.

one or maybe even two (given Kent’s one good game in every two or three games) quality inside forward or winger. 

those sort of signings should take us to the next level Mel.

Helander is a quality defender.

No chance of us signing anyone better than Kent. Keeping Kent is the priority.

27 minutes ago, RDB14 said:

Nah.  Good striker play running across the front, Goldson is arguably our most consistent player and we have conceded fuck all in the league.  Patterson was caught in no mans land.  Marking space.  Should have been racing out to the man as soon as he got the ball to help out Arfield.  If he couldn't do that then move back a bit so he can influence the cross.  He was just left in a place he couldn't influence anything unless the cross was shite.

Aside from Rangers I’m not sure there’s a player in Scotland who could make the Slavia first 11.

7 minutes ago, STEPPS BOY said:

The Euro Campaign has been absolutely fantastic but we’re relying, almost exclusively, on a near 37 yr old and Kamara to carry us through every game in midfield and when Morelos plays we play (Benfica, Antwerp, Antwerp)

i’ll say it till i’m blue in face, we absolutely are crying out for a natural right sided attacker - not a converted striker (Roofe), Not a converted 10 (Hagi) or not a left sided midfielder who gets shoehorned into that position (Aribo)

And a right side attacker that can get in behind I think. Would give us such an extra dimension.

Just now, Copeland1983 said:

Totally agree mate. Jack missing shows and his fitness is too unreliable, We need someone who can really impose themselves on the game.

Should be our top priority in the summer.

We have signed the young boy from Bournemouth. Whether he is good enough we’ll need to wait and see. It wasn’t that long ago we were moaning about us signing too many midfielders. We have over achieved in Europe in the last 2 years. We were out out by a good team 

27 minutes ago, STEPPS BOY said:

In Prague, the 3 attacking players (Kent, Aribo and Hagi) were absolutely woeful.

Tonight Kent was excellent in first half but Aribo and Arfield were non existent.

We’re not good enough yet, at this level to be carrying 2/3 players.

That’s why we went out.

We lack quality in midfield and attack.

Yes but Hagi made the goal in Prague. That’s why we need him on the pitch in Europe. 

3 minutes ago, STEPPS BOY said:

I think we can and should absolutely upgrade these players but across the campaign our number tens, whether it's Kent, Roofe or Hagi have all contributed. Aribo probably the only one I'd question? The original point that I couldn't agree with was that our 10s were posted missing too often, but I think over the piece they've all contributed collectively until tonight. 

Morelos is of course the stand out, even when not scoring.

Arfield a contributor against Galatasary and Liege too. Someone we should be looking to improve upon, but really only found wanting in this particular tie out of the whole European campaign.

1 minute ago, westenclosure2008 said:

We have signed the young boy from Bournemouth. Whether he is good enough we’ll need to wait and see. It wasn’t that long ago we were moaning about us signing too many midfielders. We have over achieved in Europe in the last 2 years. We were out out by a good team 

I agree with everything you said about our achievements but this is about trying to get to that next level in Europe (which is hard). Time will tell on the Bournemouth boy.
We've done amazing, and we should keep on looking to improve.

4 minutes ago, Copeland1983 said:

I agree with everything you said about our achievements but this is about trying to get to that next level in Europe (which is hard). Time will tell on the Bournemouth boy.
We've done amazing, and we should keep on looking to improve.

I agree that we should be looking to always improve but it’s such fine lines about getting to the next level in Europe. You just need to look at Spurs going out tonight. This was a winnable tie for us but think we need to give their defence credit. Our defence have been excellent but they were on a different level. We didn’t get a sniff in either game. We’ll bounce back on Sunday.

Just now, westenclosure2008 said:

I agree that we should be looking to always improve but it’s such fine lines about getting to the next level in Europe. You just need to look at Spurs going out tonight. This was a winnable tie for us but think we need to give their defence credit. Our defence have been excellent but they were on a different level. We didn’t get a sniff in either game. We’ll bounce back on Sunday.

I think we're making a similar point tbh. Fine lines and I think there are certain areas and positions if we can get that next level quality it makes sense to invest to help us get there.

4 minutes ago, Copeland1983 said:

I think we're making a similar point tbh. Fine lines and I think there are certain areas and positions if we can get that next level quality it makes sense to invest to help us get there.

Yeah I agree. There is prob a good point for each area of the team being strengthened to get us to the next level. We should maybe be having a chat with their scouts. They were a good side and they paid less than £500k for the majority of them. We’re on the right road though and way ahead of schedule in terms of Europe.

We need a couple of players that can actually smash shots from distance a proper Albertz/Mendez type of player, Our attacking play is frustrating and too predictable sometimes and that would give us something different especially in tougher games like tonight's game.

4 minutes ago, westenclosure2008 said:

Yeah I agree. There is prob a good point for each area of the team being strengthened to get us to the next level. We should maybe be having a chat with their scouts. They were a good side and they paid less than £500k for the majority of them. We’re on the right road though and way ahead of schedule in terms of Europe.

They seemed to have some talent from Belgium on loan. We should be all over that market. To be fair, we're clearly looking there (roofe, hagi etc). And others. Agree, they are looking in right areas.

1 hour ago, STEPPS BOY said:

Great points, if their 17 Provod is in our midfield beside Kamara we are winning that tie home and away.

Jack’s lack of fitness is a major concern that compounds the step up to even CL qualifier level.

5 hours ago, BuffaloUSAGers said:

Aside from Rangers I’m not sure there’s a player in Scotland who could make the Slavia first 11.

There's at least one thumb-shaped racist who'd fit right in.

Archived