Should’ve walked

ElBufalo20

8 hours ago, AlCapone said:

How can you actually prove it though? Not saying he didn’t 

UEFA are talking a good game against racism, and now we will find out if they are prepared to take action. You are never going to get a signed confession, but the circumstances here probably present as strong a case as you will get.

He covers his mouth, because he has something to hide. The tie is dead, we have nothing to gain by making the allegation.

As Steven Gerrard nearly said at the the press conference, UEFA it's time to piss or get off the pot.

• Replies 299
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, Vision said:

Watching the video again it's the big No4 that hears it, you can see him mouthing something to the scumbag.

Probably him that beats him up in the dressing room.

Pretty telling to me that the two closest Slavia players to the incident are Sima and Deli and they hardly rush to their team mates defence as is the norm with football handbags. They don’t even go in to try and calm our guys down.

5 hours ago, Heshootshescores said:

UEFA are talking a good game against racism, and now we will find out if they are prepared to take action. You are never going to get a signed confession, but the circumstances here probably present as strong a case as you will get.

He covers his mouth, because he has something to hide. The tie is dead, we have nothing to gain by making the allegation.

As Steven Gerrard nearly said at the the press conference, UEFA it's time to piss or get off the pot.

I don’t disagree that by covering his mouth and the reaction he got that it points to something racist. Not one for sticking up for UEFA but unless it can be proved he said it I'm not sure that they can throw the book at him. Personally if it was a rangers player I would want him sacked but again if he denies it then you have to pay up his contract. In short I’ve no doubt he said it but the difficulty is proving it 

I agree, but there is no unified rule so the decision in the current situation lies with the players. Gerrard asked the question and possibly Kamara didn’t hear but it seems he chose to stay on the park which is fair enough. There has been too many incidents like this in recent years. The situation is not getting better. UEFA need to be strong. 

5 minutes ago, AlCapone said:

I don’t disagree that by covering his mouth and the reaction he got that it points to something racist. Not one for sticking up for UEFA but unless it can be proved he said it I'm not sure that they can throw the book at him. Personally if it was a rangers player I would want him sacked but again if he denies it then you have to pay up his contract. In short I’ve no doubt he said it but the difficulty is proving it 

Balance of probability. They don't need to prove beyond any doubt that it was said just that it is the more likely version of events. 

11 minutes ago, The Dude said:

Balance of probability. They don't need to prove beyond any doubt that it was said just that it is the more likely version of events. 

As I said in another thread, if all you have to do is cover your mouth when you racially abuse someone to avoid punishment then UEFA might as well drop all the anti-racism stuff altogether. Even if it was caught on a microphone or you could read his lips, it’s never going to be absolute, conclusive proof as he would just claim he said something very similar. 

As you say, it’s balance of probability. Nobody in their right mind watches that clip and believes that he says “you fucking guy”.

On 18/03/2021 at 22:35, superallysbears said:

Should have said fuck this and walked off the pitch.

I don't agree with walking off the pitch, why should the person who's been abused leave? There should be some sort of signal that the player can give to let the ref know he's been racially abused. The ref can then put it in his match report so that the authorities can investigate the complaint.  

If players are suffering from this abuse in this day and age, then players should be allowed to where head sets that can record what is said. At the same time it may also deter the offenders from saying anything in the first place. Thoughts?

1 hour ago, Sweetheart said:

I don't agree with walking off the pitch, why should the person who's been abused leave? There should be some sort of signal that the player can give to let the ref know he's been racially abused. The ref can then put it in his match report so that the authorities can investigate the complaint.  

If players are suffering from this abuse in this day and age, then players should be allowed to where head sets that can record what is said. At the same time it may also deter the offenders from saying anything in the first place. Thoughts?

While I agree with your sentiment, racism in football remains a wider issue than deterring opposition players from making racist comments. Just because something is not said does not make the individual any less racist. Whether it be on the park or in the terraces I think there will always be a minority who harbour racist views or even voice them.

There are some who would say it’s about re-educating people but I don’t buy into that. The reason - an anecdotal story from the League Cup semi-final a couple of seasons back. It was the match Sadiq started for us and had a bit of a nightmare. The man (I use the term loosely) sat behind me decided after a bad passage of play that it was acceptable to shout “black b*****d, f*****g n****r at him. I turned and said to him that there was no need for the racist comments and reminded him that Sadiq was indeed wearing our jersey. This ‘person’ was of the view that it was fine to shout racist abuse at anyone of colour if they were ‘shit’ in his eyes. He then tried to claim that nobody else was bothered by his comment but to be fair, after I raised it as a problem a few other Bears also told him to shut up in no uncertain terms.

I know this individual is not representative of our fans in general, indeed, for all I know he may have only been attending that match as a one off and never actually goes to the football. However, do you think he went home and reflected on his behaviour and how harmful his views could potentially be? I highly doubt it. Do I think he can be educated to understand why what he did was wrong? Not really. And this is my point, how can we change the culture of racism in football if perpetrators are unwilling to accept that their views and beliefs are outdated at best, and inherently wrong at worst. 

4 minutes ago, TBagalag said:

While I agree with your sentiment, racism in football remains a wider issue than deterring opposition players from making racist comments. Just because something is not said does not make the individual any less racist. Whether it be on the park or in the terraces I think there will always be a minority who harbour racist views or even voice them.

There are some who would say it’s about re-educating people but I don’t buy into that. The reason - an anecdotal story from the League Cup semi-final a couple of seasons back. It was the match Sadiq started for us and had a bit of a nightmare. The man (I use the term loosely) sat behind me decided after a bad passage of play that it was acceptable to shout “black b*****d, f*****g n****r at him. I turned and said to him that there was no need for the racist comments and reminded him that Sadiq was indeed wearing our jersey. This ‘person’ was of the view that it was fine to shout racist abuse at anyone of colour if they were ‘shit’ in his eyes. He then tried to claim that nobody else was bothered by his comment but to be fair, after I raised it as a problem a few other Bears also told him to shut up in no uncertain terms.

I know this individual is not representative of our fans in general, indeed, for all I know he may have only been attending that match as a one off and never actually goes to the football. However, do you think he went home and reflected on his behaviour and how harmful his views could potentially be? I highly doubt it. Do I think he can be educated to understand why what he did was wrong? Not really. And this is my point, how can we change the culture of racism in football if perpetrators are unwilling to accept that their views and beliefs are outdated at best, and inherently wrong at worst. 

Jesus. Well done for calling it out, mate. Horrendous behaviour

4 hours ago, Sweetheart said:

I think walking off would have brought more attention to the situation.

3 hours ago, TBagalag said:

Good on you for saying something. I agree some people won't change their way of thinking and won't respond to being reeducated.Steps need to be taken to deter them from saying anything in the first place. Action is needed.

4 minutes ago, superallysbears said:

Sometimes you have to stand up for your convictions in this life, uefa would not have thrown us out imo.

would not take the chance with these people  uefa are not to be trusted  especially when it comes to dealing with small countries like scotland

11 minutes ago, billscott said:

would not take the chance with these people  uefa are not to be trusted  especially when it comes to dealing with small countries like scotland

UEFA would never throw a team out of a competition for walking off the pitch in protest against racism no matter where they came from. Utter nonsense to say otherwise. 

Was golfing with a Killie fan this morning, he said it was shocking but then said I don't know why you Rangers fans are moaning as yous call everyone Fenian bastard's which is just as bad, I argued that everyone outwith us hates us and call us orange bastard's, he said I hate both the old firm as yous are both poison, I just said enjoy the championship you won't be missed. Needless to say it was a quiet round of golf.

2 hours ago, billscott said:

If uefa don't do the right thing then would we still want to be part of their tournament anyway? This is bigger than football as the manger said.

Archived